Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Amex Plat Uber credit if you don't have Uber or Uber Eats where you live

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We don't have Uber or UberEats where I live. Do you know if I buy an Uber gift card on United MileagePlus X with my Platinum card if it will trigger the credit? or if I buy Uber cash with the card in the Uber app will that work? United MileageplusX lets you buy a $15 card while the Uber app only lets you add to Uber cash in $25 intervals. Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by konaflyer
We don't have Uber or UberEats where I live. Do you know if I buy an Uber gift card on United MileagePlus X with my Platinum card if it will trigger the credit? or if I buy Uber cash with the card in the Uber app will that work? United MileageplusX lets you buy a $15 card while the Uber app only lets you add to Uber cash in $25 intervals. Thanks for any ideas you may have.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, unlike other Amex credits, the Uber credit is not a reimbursement. Once you add the Platinum card to the Uber account, you will automatically be credited $15 every month or $20 in December. If you don't use it, the credit disappears.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
@diesteldorf, Thanks for your reply. I thought so too. But then I read a blogger who made reference to using the credit toward additional Uber cash. However, the method wasn't clear and that's why I was reaching out.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
You could send someone else food via Uber Eats.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...food-to-family
Old May 25, 2020, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Old May 25, 2020, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

That could be a fun option! Thanks for the suggestion.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I sent someone a Starbucks order- coffee, food and dessert- and they loved the surprise. I'm gonna do this every month!!!
renila, notquiteaff, ALGU and 4 others like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by konaflyer
I sent someone a Starbucks order- coffee, food and dessert- and they loved the surprise. I'm gonna do this every month!!!
I’ve just started doing this too thanks to your thread! Only wish I knew this earlier. Had 3 past AMEX Plat cards since 2017 that I ended up not utilizing.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I've heard that if you book a ride then cancel, the refunded Uber Cash does not expire. I have never tried this so YMMV.
Mauibaby2008 and wowzera like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:42 pm

If you send someone food make sure they know it is coming. I scared someone at dusk one evening with a get well ice cream delviery.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My kids wanted Popeye’s chicken tonight 🙄 so I used my $15 plat credit towards the $45 total. Big mess. Ordered at 5:25, delivery time was “no later than 6:35”, but food didn’t arrive till 7:20. The delivery lacked all sides, all biscuits, all sauces (basically got only chicken) and all the drinks were wrong. I was really peeved. Contacted Ubereats through the help in app and they refunded the entire thing excepting the driver tip (which makes sense) within an hour. Excellent customer service. Now I have an extra $15 credit for June, which actually surprised me.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My kids wanted Popeye’s chicken tonight 🙄 so I used my $15 plat credit towards the $45 total. Big mess. Ordered at 5:25, delivery time was “no later than 6:35”, but food didn’t arrive till 7:20. The delivery lacked all sides, all biscuits, all sauces (basically got only chicken) and all the drinks were wrong. I was really peeved. Contacted Ubereats through the help in app and they refunded the entire thing excepting the driver tip (which makes sense) within an hour. Excellent customer service. Now I have an extra $15 credit for June, which actually surprised me.
Sadly, this was likely a much better result than if you had gone to Popeye's in person.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Gig103
I've heard that if you book a ride then cancel, the refunded Uber Cash does not expire. I have never tried this so YMMV.
this works.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Sadly, this was likely a much better result than if you had gone to Popeye's in person.
Really? My teens go there at least once a week in normal times and never have a problem.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:36 am

Any work around to use the $10 credit for Amex Gold without actually purchasing food etc? Any way to reedem as uber cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.