Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Adding to the Google Fi intrigue. I paid down my balance to around $20 (using my biz plat, which used up it's wireless credit). autopay charged my Personal Plat triggering the streaming credit. I then paid $10 manually via pay.google.com which wound up triggering the wireless credit. Going to pay another $10 today to hopefully finish it off.
notquiteaff and Zorak like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by nrr
I've done several grocery purchases, they all show as 12X on my acct. on line. But my point total is not reflecting 12X; per #503 these will appear in 12 weeks.(?)

You mean the line item shows up but it doesn't count towards the total? How would that even happen??
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:31 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

You mean the line item shows up but it doesn't count towards the total? How would that even happen??
A typical line for my GROCERY purchases would read: 12x POINTS XYZ GROCERY $50.00
My Hilton Point total I believe update once per month. The base amount additions (up to monthly cut-off date) seem to be correct, but I don't think the 12X have been added YET. [For base $50, my bonus should be 600 points.]
I really should use a spreadsheet to track everything but I'm too lazy.

Last edited by mia; Jun 24, 2020 at 5:05 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: None
Question to all: if a reimbursable bill hits at the tail end of the month (28th, 29th, etc) and it takes some time for AmEx to kick in, does the credit for that charge tend to accrue to the month that it was originally charged, or the month that AmEx "saw it"?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EtseTrav
Question to all: if a reimbursable bill hits at the tail end of the month (28th, 29th, etc) and it takes some time for AmEx to kick in, does the credit for that charge tend to accrue to the month that it was originally charged, or the month that AmEx "saw it"?
The month the transaction was posted.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32429076-post440.html
EtseTrav likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The month the transaction was posted.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32429076-post440.html
charging the last day of the month is real risk. i always watch for post date vs transaction date, but some have been lucky even with the transaction date being on the last day of the month and posting into the next month. some have done this with amex airline credits. charging 12/31 and still getting it for the prior year. i wouldnt push that.

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Nope - mine indicate 12x on the Amex statement online and also the 12x grocery posting appears on my Hilton Honors account online.
well, its important to note the key differences in abuse levels. you probably didnt do 900k pts in a month. word has been spreading that amex is flagging accounts and delaying points from posting to HH. typically, all pts posts next day after statement close. for accounts hitting groceries hard, amex has been watching. nobody should be surprised. but there seems to be a threshold. maybe anything over 150k MS? not sure. im curious how amex will proceed after reviewing accounts.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:29 am
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Question Google FI coding as "Streaming"

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Adding to the Google Fi intrigue. I paid down my balance to around $20 (using my biz plat, which used up it's wireless credit). autopay charged my Personal Plat triggering the streaming credit. I then paid $10 manually via pay.google.com which wound up triggering the wireless credit. Going to pay another $10 today to hopefully finish it off.
Paid my Google FI bill in full using my Amex Plat, was credited as "Streaming". Which means I have $20 to use for "wireless".
I tried to "pay early" $20 on Google Pay, let's see if it works.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zip10001
Paid my Google FI bill in full using my Amex Plat, was credited as "Streaming". Which means I have $20 to use for "wireless".
I tried to "pay early" $20 on Google Pay, let's see if it works.
it worked for me. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32476324-post505.html
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Google Fi DP. I executed it pretty well this month: Posted $17 worth of streaming; did three $10 Google Fi charges. 2x$10 posted as Wireless, the remaining $2.98 out of $10 posted as streaming. Nice.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
any DPs for wireless credit when making purchases directly in-person at a major telecom corporate store? not paying bills, but buying accessories or hardware. ATT, VZW, or TMO.

looks like most people just pay their bills and ive seen many mixed DPs for online purchases working, but im looking to quickly finish the credit directly at a store.
​​​​​​​A Verizon ecommerce accessories purchase (phone case) worked against the Wireless credit. Don't know about in-store purchase.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by EtseTrav
​​​​​​​A Verizon ecommerce accessories purchase (phone case) worked against the Wireless credit. Don't know about in-store purchase.
thank you so much for the DP. yes, i believe almost all online merchandise purchases code correctly except for gift cards. but i have seen some online merch not get credit either. thats why i was hoping to handle it inside the store asap. seems paying your bill is the most consistent.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:43 am

Another data point: I have "paid early" (on pay.google.com) my Google Fi bill and I have received the $20 wireless credit.

My streaming credit for June had already been used and in May my Google Fi payment (automatic, not paid early) di not trigger the credit.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I don't see either of the following in the wiki DPs; will add as soon as I post this:

I received streaming credit for both Amazon Kindle and Spotify - not a surprise as both are on the official AMEX list, but glad I didn't have to put in any effort to get these credits.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Does anyone know if there’s a thread with consolidated cc covid bonuses? Across all banks/cards? I did a search but keep coming up with bank specific threads.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Does anyone know if there’s a thread with consolidated cc covid bonuses? Across all banks/cards? I did a search but keep coming up with bank specific threads.
I don't think there is a comprehensive thread covering all cards (since the forums here are broken down by issuer), but there is consolidated info on some the usual CC blogs/sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.