mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sam_goh
.... want to file taxes ASAP.
IRS delays start of tax filing season to Feb. 12

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-ta...uring-pandemic
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I just got several Amex 1099s for 2020 in the mail (one for each card). Amex based the MRs at 1¢ each.
SPN Lifer and 84fiero like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:30 pm

I got 2 forms 1099-MISC for referral bonuses. AmEx was kind enough to include corresponding account #s. Otherwise I'd have no clue.
84fiero likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I received two: one for $550 one for $450 on referrals.

I always want to mark these down 40% because that’s what AMEX let’s you take a statement credit for (0.006/pt)
SPN Lifer and 84fiero like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I just got several Amex 1099s for 2020 in the mail (one for each card). Amex based the MRs at 1¢ each.
That's fair. I believe there have been airlines that used the full retail price for FMV of miles on a 1099-MISC, and that was over 2¢.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One need not accept the valuation on a 1099. But, one must then provide one's own fair market value and a written explanation of the reasoning.

Make sure it's worth it to you as marked down 1099's are an audit red flag with a flare shooting out of the flag.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
One need not accept the valuation on a 1099. But, one must then provide one's own fair market value and a written explanation of the reasoning.

Make sure it's worth it to you as marked down 1099's are an audit red flag with a flare shooting out of the flag.
Yeah, this does seem like it would come with a high risk of IRS rejection, and possibly lead to an audit. I've seen reports of 1099-MISCs with a FMV for miles over over 2¢ for airline miles. I think that's dead wrong, and most FTers would probably put it closer to 1¢. But it's anyone's guess how the Tax Court would decide that.

I've never tangled with the IRS over anything, but I wouldn't hesitate to defend my position if I felt confident that I'd ultimately win. That said, I wouldn't have that confidence with a battle over FMV of airline miles. Thankfully, Amex is keeping its FMV claim reasonable at 1¢ per MR point.
SPN Lifer and krazykanuck like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bask Bank, which awards AA miles in lieu of interest, issues 1099-INT based on $0.0042 per mile. One could make an argument that points convertible to airline miles should be similarly valued. There is, of course, a counterargument based on other redemptions.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Bask Bank, which awards AA miles in lieu of interest, issues 1099-INT based on $0.0042 per mile. One could make an argument that points convertible to airline miles should be similarly valued. There is, of course, a counterargument based on other redemptions.
Wow, that's low. As you say, there are arguments and counterarguments on this. We see them all the time on FlyerTalk. As far as I know, this has never been litigated to resolution in any reported court decision in a tax case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Anyone still expecting a 1099 from AMEX? Can you ask the CSR via chat if you should expect one?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Read the terms in an email they sent to me about these referrals it does warn us about getting those IRS notices!

Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
Read the terms in an email they sent to me about these referrals it does warn us about getting those IRS notices!
It's worth noting that a 1099-MISC never creates a tax liability for anyone. It's merely a tax-compliance mechanism. Failure to account for 1099-MISC data in your return might trigger an IRS request explain the discrepancy. It might be that without the 1099-MISC form, the IRS would never have known about the undeclared income, but that's akin to a situation where no cop was there to see you run a red light.
GUWonder and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's worth noting that a 1099-MISC never creates a tax liability for anyone. It's merely a tax-compliance mechanism...
When bank accountants start doing something new, somehow I doubt they are motivated to improve somebody else's IRS compliance. Is there perhaps some benefit to the banks in classifying former expenses as customer income?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
When bank accountants start doing something new, somehow I doubt they are motivated to improve somebody else's IRS compliance. Is there perhaps some benefit to the banks in classifying former expenses as customer income?
The benefit for filing a 1099-MISC that is required by law is you don't get fined by the IRS for failure to file it. See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...form/L4mwyM8Tk
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:47 pm

Does anyone file their referral bonuses if they dont receive a 1099? I have two small ones (15k Hilton Amex and 20k Chase Southwest) but haven't received anything yet. Can I just ignore these then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.