Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Plat AUs: "Free Gold" vs "$175 Plat"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amex Plat AUs: "Free Gold" vs "$175 Plat"

I'm sorry if there's already a thread or wiki for this but I couldn't find it.

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the "free gold" additional card acts as a Plat in terms of earning (5x travel, 1x restaurants).

So.. what benefits does the "$175 Plat" get you that the "Free Gold" doesn't? What do you get in exchange for $175/year? (please tell me that it's more than a shinier looking piece of wallet bling for your AU)

I looked through the Amex T&C and there wasn't much info about the "free gold".
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So.. what benefits does the "$175 Plat" get you that the "Free Gold" doesn't? What do you get in exchange for $175/year? (please tell me that it's more than a shinier looking piece of wallet bling for your AU)

The main benefit is that the Plat AUs get the same lounge benefits as the main account holder, being Centurion, Delta, Escape, Priority Pass. Both Plat and Gold AUs get their own Global Entry/Precheck credit. Both AUs can charge against the $200 travel credit, though the $200 credit is shared between everybody, so the max the account can get is $200 regardless of the number of AUs.

Also it's worth noting that its $175 for up to 3 Plat AUs, so ~$58/per person if you have 3 people to add. The Morgan Stanley version of the Platinum Card waives the fee for the first Platinum AU.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Lounge access (CL and PP) and hotel elite status, I think.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:11 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Also each additional cardholder gets Premium Global Assist benefits:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

This includes Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance — a benefit that was invaluable to me when I got a concussion on vacation in the Bahamas and Amex arranged for and paid for all transportation to Miami for ER visit. They had my back and I’m loyal for life because of this.

I gave all my young adult kids the additional cards since they travel internationally in developing countries.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
USA Supplementary Platinum cardholders receive all of the Platinum benefits, except the Uber credit. The airline reimbursement benefit is capped at $200 per account, not per card. (I also do not recall if the supplementary cardholder receives a separate Saks credit.)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Free Gold however does get free global entry every four years. So if you’re building credit with your kid might as well get them enrolled
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
I also do not recall if the supplementary cardholder receives a separate Saks credit.
No, it's like the airline credit in that it's a single per-account credit shared by all cards. Kinda funny that of all the account credits and perks this is the one my AUs fight over.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ymx
Also each additional cardholder gets Premium Global Assist benefits:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf

This includes Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance — a benefit that was invaluable to me when I got a concussion on vacation in the Bahamas and Amex arranged for and paid for all transportation to Miami for ER visit. They had my back and I’m loyal for life because of this.

I gave all my young adult kids the additional cards since they travel internationally in developing countries.
Thanks for this, I did not know about these benefits. It does say that "coverage is extended to each of the following members of the Card Member’s family who are traveling on the same trip itinerary as the Card Member" which I know isn't your situation but may be for OP.

My wife has just the Gold card and honestly we only got it for her because she was up for her GE renewal so it was a free $100. I've considered changing it to the Plat for Delta lounge access, since there are no included guests at that lounge, but not at this time. That's the biggest perk we'd benefit from.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is it safe to assume that anything charged on the free Gold AU would count towards minimum spend for the welcome bonus? Plus, is the travel insurance available to Plat extended to flights purchased with Gold AU? TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Lounge access (CL and PP) and hotel elite status, I think.
Access to FHR rates, IAP fares, etc. as well. It's a strong suite of benefits if the AU travels without you present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.