Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Zync Card Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Exclamation Amex Zync Card Discontinued?

Looks like the Zync card has been discontinued today. Amex dropped it off their website and reports are coming in they are no longer accepting applications for the card.

Can anyone confirm so we know the official status?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:15 am
Suspended

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen one "in the wild?"
I never have.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I never have.
Yes, I have one. It's a great card. Low AF and was great to add because of the 1984 backdating I never knew about!

It's a definite keeper just for that!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:24 pm

Hah...mine just renewed a couple weeks ago.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I never have.
It's partying hardy in my sock drawer while waiting on SBS!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:21 pm

My best guess is that it didn't turn out the be a profitable product for them, counting maybe higher than average default rates and lower than average account fees.
Also, could be that they're making a ton of money with their prepaid product and find too much overlap between the two products.

Either way, they sure have been really horrible with communication on what they're doing lately. Remember the Points Mall that simply just disappeared, and nobody can get a solid answer on? I'm afraid that this Zync card may also just float off into oblivion, with no confirmation, nor denial, from the dumb-dumb heads over at Amex. To me, this is bad for business on their part - but I'm not so sure they care much about our opinions.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Awww c**p.
Was on my to do list this week-using global transfer it would have been easy as i have a uk platinum.
I will give them a call tomorrow and see if it has indeed been discontinued. The apply button on the zync page throws up an error now, so not looking hopeful.

At least i still have my (RED) amex
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
You know... I will try ordering some supp cards tonight and see what's up
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:59 pm

So what does this mean for current customers?
I have a Zync opened in March. As long as I keep paying the AF, I get to keep it right?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by standingoten
So what does this mean for current customers?
I have a Zync opened in March. As long as I keep paying the AF, I get to keep it right?
Yes you can keep it for as long as you want, but the card now is just a charge card version of the Amex Blue. The Packs no longer work, I noticed that I was no longer earning Green Pack double points for like two weeks, called in, and CSR confirmed that not only can you not add/edit packs, but Packs just don't work. And essentially without Packs it's useless to me. Canceled it, I've got a Business Amex to keep my points alive, and in 90 days I'll be eligible for another sign up bonus on a personal charge card Amex (never liked that it states that having a Zync makes you ineligible for a sign up bonus for a Charge card, but then you can't upgrade the Zync either...).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrushD
Yes you can keep it for as long as you want, but the card now is just a charge card version of the Amex Blue. The Packs no longer work, I noticed that I was no longer earning Green Pack double points for like two weeks, called in, and CSR confirmed that not only can you not add/edit packs, but Packs just don't work. And essentially without Packs it's useless to me. Canceled it, I've got a Business Amex to keep my points alive, and in 90 days I'll be eligible for another sign up bonus on a personal charge card Amex (never liked that it states that having a Zync makes you ineligible for a sign up bonus for a Charge card, but then you can't upgrade the Zync either...).
You might want to call Amex again. My double points are still posting fine for the packs that I have (restaurants, internet/cable/cell). The Zync card works fine. Amex does not post bonus points everyday. Looks like once a week or so.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:03 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DavisCalifJr
You might want to call Amex again. My double points are still posting fine for the packs that I have (restaurants, internet/cable/cell). The Zync card works fine. Amex does not post bonus points everyday. Looks like once a week or so.
Perhaps AMEX has discontinued the benefits for the free packs only, for the time being? It would make sense that you are continuing to receive double points on restaurants and internet/cable/cell because those are from packs you actually have to pay for.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I just called Amex and they said that the card itself is not being discontinued but rather the packs that you can add on are being discontinued. He also said that the updated card would be added back to the website soon.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:52 am
Company Representative - Amex

Amex Zync Card Discontinued

Good Morning All,

I have just found this thread and wanted to let you know that we have not received word that the Zync Card is being discontinued. We have reached out to our Technologies Team and advised them of the issues online and they are looking into why you can not access it online. If you are having issues with the Packs, please let me know via email at: http://aexp.co/dMb Please include your FlyerTalk handle and I will be more than happy to look into it for you.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Rachel
Amex Customer Care
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
...we have not received word that the Zync Card is being discontinued.
Thank you for confirming the status, Rachel. It seems there are conflicting reports coming from Amex on this. Some have contacted Amex and have been told the card has been discontinued which is why I posted this thread to confirm things hoping someone from Amex would respond. Right now it appears the Zync card is not available on Amex's website for anyone wanting to apply for a new card. Packs cannot be added or changed for those of us that have the card already. So hopefully this is just a website problem.

I can confirm my Pack points are still posting as of today's business date (10/3/12) and my card works fine when I use it.

Last edited by mia; Oct 3, 2012 at 10:51 am Reason: Prune quotation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.