Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by teepheep
Has anyone ever bought the travel bank before they selected United as their airlines? I thought I had United but didn't realize it was Delta until 5 mins after I already bought the travel bank credit
I suggest you call AmEx. I think I made a similar mistake a few years ago and AmEx was able to give me the credit after I called.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I suggest you call AmEx...
I suggest nobody calls AmEx about an "incidental expense" that's not on the official qualified list.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I suggest nobody calls AmEx about an "incidental expense" that's not on the official qualified list.
Yep. Good way to not only ruin it for everyone else going forward, but invite unnecceary scrutiny. Even if OP succeed, there is no guarantee that there won't be a clawback.
mster, pallhedge, MaxVO and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yep. Good way to not only ruin it for everyone else going forward, but invite unnecceary scrutiny. Even if OP succeed, there is no guarantee that there won't be a clawback.
You're absolutely right, but let's face it: the info is already in the public domain and has been for quite some time now. Also, if you look at the additional information when clicking on the charge (on the desktop site), it clearly displays Travel Bank (i.e. their data team could easily isolate all travel bank charges in minutes)
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
... the info is already in the public domain and has been for quite some time now.
The bank may choose to tolerate and ignore when a benefit is used slightly off-label. But it would be hard to ignore this when customers start to explicitly ask the bank to get involved.
Statman, mster, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
You're absolutely right, but let's face it: the info is already in the public domain and has been for quite some time now. Also, if you look at the additional information when clicking on the charge (on the desktop site), it clearly displays Travel Bank (i.e. their data team could easily isolate all travel bank charges in minutes)
It clearly is in the public domain, but let's not invite further scrutiny? The OP made the mistake. It is what it is. Even if he succeeds and get the credit back, it just attract more unwanted attention. It's not like these are isolated cases. When a credit is given, I'm sure everything is looked at and reviewed at some point. What would suck is if the OP's decision to escalate this end up hurting not just him in the future, but the rest of us. Talk about scorched earth if that end up happening...
Thysk and Mike B like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AK, AS, CX, HA, JQ, UA, AAA, AMEX, Chase, Citi, WHG, HH, IHG, MRRTT
12/5 changed Plat, Gold & Aspire to UA
12/7 charged $250, $100 & $250 (Spouse CC to my UA acct) respectively
12/9 posted
12/9 to 12/12 all reimbursed

Thank you everyone for the DP info
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Thanks everyone for this dp.. was looking for a way to get flexible currency for the $100 airline benefit and this is valid for 5 years so works perfectly. If this works in Jan, then would be $200 in flexible funds for use for a ticket in 5 years which is as good as it gets. P.S - Amex chat must be getting many requests for an airline change to UA this time of the year and may possibly be wondering about the reason
Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

Dec 9 Changed airline fee credit to united on Aspire
Dec 12 Charged $250 on United travel bank to card
Dec 16 Reimbursed $250
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, Chase, AMEX, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by big_guy
when people say they purchased 2x $100 on the same day, are they doing 2 separate transactions of $100 or is there a way to add 2 $100 in the cart and checkout together? i cant do the latter.

also i read that people were having issues with doing a 2nd transaction somewhere above, in that case how is the 1st option handled?
there’s no way to do same cart. 2x separated is the way to go unless you wanto to charge the extra $50 for $250 on the Plat.

With that said when I did mine I did it on mobile. as soon as I landed on the screen saying “Thank you! Your purchase etc” I refreshed my page and restart the process. If you’re on the laptop/desktop then refresh and go from there. I didn’t run into any issues personally. Hope that tib-bit helped
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:16 pm

Set Aspire as United on Dec 13, made $250 purchase on travel bank. Didn't notice when it posted, but meter has not moved as of Dec 18.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
Set Aspire as United on Dec 13, made $250 purchase on travel bank. Didn't notice when it posted, but meter has not moved as of Dec 18.
What date did the $250 transaction post? I’m in a similar situation. I chose United for my Aspire airline selection on 12/15, then purchased 3 separate travel banks ($100, $100, $50) on the same day. Still waiting for the credit(s).

Update: the 3 credits ($100, $100, $50) hit my account today, 12/19, with a posting date of yesterday, 12/18. Thanks to all for all the DPs!
pbd456 likes this.

Last edited by comeflywme; Dec 19, 2020 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by crimsona
Yup I'm in the same boat as you guys.

Chose United as the selected airline for my Platinum card last Saturday 12/12 at 9pm PST. Got the confirmation e-mail from AMEX that United was now my airline. I waited an hour then purchased one lot of $100 in United travel bank funds. Haven't gotten any credit and the meter is still showing $200 available to be used.

When I used my Aspire back in September to buy cheap Southwest flights I was credited within 3 days.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
dead already?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
dead already?
Hopefully not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.