FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002921-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-wn-southwest-only-2020-21-a.html)

saint Jan 28, 2020 11:56 am

Originally Posted by SJC (Post 31983573)
My experience as well. Keep in mind, if you cancel and get travel credits, the credits are NOT pooled. Instead, each named passenger will get the amount corresponding to each ticket, and only the named passenger can use their portion of the credit.

This is good to know. I just saw that on their website but I don't see anything about if there was a limit to how many travel credits you can apply. I just did a test trying to book a $500 ticket with some travel credits I have and it wouldn't let me add more than two $99 credits. Does anyone have any specific information that is documented from their website? Couldn't find it or with a Google search. There are a few blogs that talk about travel credit but none mention if there is a limit to the # or amount you can use.

There is an error message that says, "The method of payment was not added due to payment rules. Please select an alternate form of payment." when I try to add more than 2 credits. I assumed that you could use credits up to the cost of the new ticket as long as you had travel credits. But it appears this isn't the case.

Thanks in advance.

dhtravelerforlife123 Jan 28, 2020 12:18 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a8e87ac533.png

Originally Posted by saint (Post 32004690)
This is good to know. I just saw that on their website but I don't see anything about if there was a limit to how many travel credits you can apply. I just did a test trying to book a $500 ticket with some travel credits I have and it wouldn't let me add more than two $99 credits. Does anyone have any specific information that is documented from their website? Couldn't find it or with a Google search. There are a few blogs that talk about travel credit but none mention if there is a limit to the # or amount you can use.

There is an error message that says, "The method of payment was not added due to payment rules. Please select an alternate form of payment." when I try to add more than 2 credits. I assumed that you could use credits up to the cost of the new ticket as long as you had travel credits. But it appears this isn't the case.

Thanks in advance.

Joel16 Jan 28, 2020 8:33 pm

So is that saying that each travel credit counts as a separate payment? So like you can use 3 travel credits or 2 travel credits and a credit card?

firebrick Jan 29, 2020 6:26 am

I have 2 SW gift cards, $100 each. Looking to fly to vegas and price for a flight is $156 each way. Is my best option to book the return flight separately and use one gift card on each flight, making each of them $56? Any problems with booking out and back flights separately if Im planning to use companion pass as well? Will be first time Ive used the companion pass.

brp Jan 29, 2020 10:08 am

DP:

Purchased 2 x $68.98 1/23
Charged by Amex: 1/25
Reimbursement: 1/28

This is Amex Plat, so about $62 remaining.

Cheers.

HIFlya Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am

Originally Posted by firebrick (Post 32007507)
I have 2 SW gift cards, $100 each. Looking to fly to vegas and price for a flight is $156 each way. Is my best option to book the return flight separately and use one gift card on each flight, making each of them $56? Any problems with booking out and back flights separately if Im planning to use companion pass as well? Will be first time Ive used the companion pass.

I am just guessing since I am not lucky enough to have the companion pass, but I think the pass can be used unlimited times, so there should be no reason you would have a problem booking OW tickets.

ssk244 Jan 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Data Points:
Selected WN as my airline on 1/25, and got the confirmation email immediately.
1/25 bought 2 one way flights as separate transactions in the amounts of 58.98 each
1/26 posted to my Amex Gold Card
1/28 got credits for $58.98 and $41.02

shmom Jan 30, 2020 5:49 am

FYI - the less than $100 ticket purchase on SW does not appear to work on the Amex Corp Platinum Card. This card has a $200 airline fee incidental benefit. However, for some reason there is no ticker under benefits. Last year I had Delta chosen and it did credit for some Delta lounge payment but I switched to SW this year and tried a $96 ticket and it was a no go.

okiedokie123 Jan 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by shmom (Post 32002123)
Same I am still waiting for reimbursement for a $97 SW ticket on 1/24 on the Amex Corporate Platinum.

Mine still haven't posted, so it's a no-go. I noticed under the description it shows passenger ticket so I guess Amex Biz Plat doesn't work. I booked using the online website via computer if it makes any difference.

pinniped Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by firebrick (Post 32007507)

No issues at all, assuming the 2nd seat is available. I have always booked most WN tickets as one-ways, whether I was in a CP year or not.

Your approach sounds like it should work.

TheChurntables Jan 31, 2020 5:12 am

Newer to FT so please let me know if you guys actually like seeing updates of this continuing to work but...

DP:
Personal and Business Plat

1/27: purchased two flights at $98.48 each and one CP flight for $5.60 on both cards

1/30: progress bar shows credit used, both cards

1/31: across both cards four $98.48 credits and two partial credits of $3.04, backdated 1/30.

Edit to add Personal Gold DP for P2’s card:

1/27: Purchased $98.49 flight
1/31: Credit shows posted, backdated to 1/30

saint Jan 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by dhtravelerforlife123 (Post 32004763)

Thanks for posting this. Somehow I missed that.

saint Jan 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by okiedokie123 (Post 32013340)
Mine still haven't posted, so it's a no-go. I noticed under the description it shows passenger ticket so I guess Amex Biz Plat doesn't work. I booked using the online website via computer if it makes any difference.

It worked for me. I used an Amex Business Platinum on 1/25 and credit posted 1/28.

abaheti Feb 1, 2020 10:25 am

My wife has the Aspire and I am a second card. She selected WN. If I use my card to buy a drink or earlybird, will it count for her $200 credit, or does the purchase need to be on her primary card? Thanks.

Joel16 Feb 1, 2020 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti (Post 32020547)
My wife has the Aspire and I am a second card. She selected WN. If I use my card to buy a drink or earlybird, will it count for her $200 credit, or does the purchase need to be on her primary card? Thanks.

Yours will work too. It's in the terms.

"Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. "

shmom Feb 1, 2020 1:19 pm

Excellent news - the $97 ticket I purchased on the Amex Corporate Plat got a reimbursement today - 9 days after purchase.

fingmongoose Feb 1, 2020 3:31 pm

Another DP

Personal AMEX Gold
1/28 - Bought two one way flights on separate transactions $68.98, $32.02
1/29 - Posted
1/31 - Credits of $67.98 and $32.02 posted. I was checking all day for the credit but I didn't see it until logging in on 2/1

abaheti Feb 1, 2020 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Joel16 (Post 32020863)
Yours will work too. It's in the terms.

"Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. "

THANK YOU, this will help a lot as we are also about to pull the trigger on the Chase Southwest card, so being able to get credits for my spend on her Aspire assures we will use all the credits and make the math work for us.

JeffMIA Feb 2, 2020 6:27 am

So, in case it is useful to anyone, the one way fare on Southwest from FLL-MCO the week of 2/17 is $99.98. And yes, it worked for me. That is all.

poisson Feb 2, 2020 11:01 am

So what's the consensus here? Purchase a ticket that's less than $99, then cancel it and get a Southwest travel voucher?

dhuey Feb 2, 2020 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 32024070)
So what's the consensus here? Purchase a ticket that's less than $99, then cancel it and get a Southwest travel voucher?

Yep. It's like free gift cards that must be used within a year.

bpbenda Feb 2, 2020 6:15 pm

Have both personal and business Platinum and personal Gold. So, three cards with $500 total in airline fee credits. Kept Southwest as airline assignment from last year.
01/29: Bought five separate $99 ($98.98) tickets with cards mentioned above.
01/31: Airline fee credit meters moved.
02/01: Five separate $98.98 credits posted to AmEx cards.

The Southwest Low Fare Calendar is a great fast way to find $99 one-way flights.
https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/

bpbenda Feb 2, 2020 6:26 pm

Something I just noticed in reviewing my AmEx rewards summary, I received 5x points on the two $99 Southwest ticket purchases that were refunded to my personal Platinum, and 3x points on the single $99 ticket purchased and refunded to my personal Gold card. Guess I should have assumed that since they were direct airline purchases, but was focused on the airline fee credits and not the MR multiplier for direct airline purchases. Nice!

EmpressRouge Feb 2, 2020 9:53 pm

My husband has the personal Amex Gold and I have the personal Platinum:
  • We bought 2 x $73.98 tickets on Jan. 1 with the Gold and got the $100 in total credit on ~1/4.
  • We booked 2 x $92.98 tickets on Jan. 28 with the Platinum and the credits posted on Feb. 1, and the meter currently says I have $14.04 left. I also changed my flight on Feb. 1 to a more expensive +$49 flight and am waiting for the rest of the credit to go through.

edekba Feb 3, 2020 11:41 am

Amex Gold
Selected WN last year, didn't do anything to change it this year.

1/28 Purchased 2 OW tickets, one under $39 & one under $49.
1/31 Both purchased Reimbursed.

Have ~$12 Left that I'll have to figure out how to utilize later.

Goingmachfive Feb 3, 2020 3:04 pm

Purchased two $97 tickets with an Amex Ameriprise on January 31. Looking at the charge using the Amex website it displays the origin and destination and clearly designates that this was a flight purchase. Am I going to get reimbursed ?

Ap105 Feb 4, 2020 6:57 pm

Most likely. Just wait take 4-5 days.

okiedokie123 Feb 4, 2020 10:10 pm

did you by any chance recall if you booked by website or mobile?

okiedokie123 Feb 4, 2020 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Goingmachfive (Post 32028698)
Purchased two $97 tickets with an Amex Ameriprise on January 31. Looking at the charge using the Amex website it displays the origin and destination and clearly designates that this was a flight purchase. Am I going to get reimbursed ?

Cancel now, because I had the same thing and did not get reimbursed. I'm not sure how some folks are getting reimbursed and others aren't.

flyguy6 Feb 4, 2020 10:44 pm

DP: Was able to get 19.xx credit for upgrading to business select from an AnyTime fare at kiosk the airport. Credit posted 3 days after the charge posted. Will have to test if larger dollar amounts work doing this.

Ap105 Feb 5, 2020 5:15 am

Website. On a PC.

bpbenda Feb 5, 2020 10:05 am

I personally have the Personal and Business Platinum cards and the Personal Gold card. I posted the other day that I ran five separate $98.98 ticket transactions across the three cards, meter moved after three days, reimbursements received after four days. That was at the end of January. Once those processed, I decided to do the same with my wife's cards. She has a Personal Platinum and Personal Gold. So, ran three separate $98.98 ticket transactions again across her two cards. That was at around 9:30 p.m. CT on February 1st. Right now it's 11:00 a.m. on February 5th and the meters haven't moved, nor have reimbursements been received. I still fully anticipate that they will come through, but just providing a DP. Maybe AmEx is processing at a slightly longer delay this week, as it would fit with other DPs posted above. Also, there are some who have provided DPs recently of reimbursement taking up to nine days. For reference, on all of these cards, I had Southwest listed as airline choice last year and it just carried over to this year, no change.

Joel16 Feb 5, 2020 12:25 pm

Hilton Aspire Card. Changed from Delta to Southwest online on 1/30 after already using $30 on Delta for a bag.

1/30 purchased 2x $98.98 one-way tickets (about a half hour after changing my Amex airline choice)
2/01 canceled those tickets
2/01 purchased $229 ticket with 2x travel credit and $31 on Amex Aspire
2/02 reimbursed 2x $98.98
Was never reimbursed the $31 spent on the ticket...yet
2/06 reimbursed for the $31 left over on my ticket (only $22 because that's what I had left in credits)

The tickets that got reimbursed also had my flight information.

shmom Feb 5, 2020 3:08 pm

I made a $97 SW purchase yesterday on Amex Corp Platinum. Of course, pending after purchase. Just now I checked and charge posted AND I got the credit. Right at 24 hours. Wow. Last time (about two weeks ago) it took 9 days for the credit to post.

dhuey Feb 5, 2020 7:51 pm

If anyone is looking for a seriously cheap fare, you can now book $29 one-ways between OAK and LAX on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in April and May.

bpbenda Feb 6, 2020 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by bpbenda (Post 32035870)
I personally have the Personal and Business Platinum cards and the Personal Gold card. I posted the other day that I ran five separate $98.98 ticket transactions across the three cards, meter moved after three days, reimbursements received after four days. That was at the end of January. Once those processed, I decided to do the same with my wife's cards. She has a Personal Platinum and Personal Gold. So, ran three separate $98.98 ticket transactions again across her two cards. That was at around 9:30 p.m. CT on February 1st. Right now it's 11:00 a.m. on February 5th and the meters haven't moved, nor have reimbursements been received. I still fully anticipate that they will come through, but just providing a DP. Maybe AmEx is processing at a slightly longer delay this week, as it would fit with other DPs posted above. Also, there are some who have provided DPs recently of reimbursement taking up to nine days. For reference, on all of these cards, I had Southwest listed as airline choice last year and it just carried over to this year, no change.

Update: February 6th ... meters just moved, pending receipt of reimbursements. So, looks like reimbursement can take 1-10 days to be received.

mayu3375 Feb 6, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing the dp. Do you mind the share the statement name for the charge? I purchased two ticket on 2/1, 81.99 and 52.XX. All charge is posted now and showing the from and destination. Meter has not moved yet. I wonder if it is the same case with success dp

ucdtim17 Feb 6, 2020 4:33 pm

Purchased two $98 tickets on Feb 3. Only one charge has posted; no movement on meter or reimbursement yet. Will update.

Edit: Still only one charge; meter moved for that one Feb 8. I do have two WN tickets; presumably the second charge will post at some point

Edit 2: Reimbursement posted Feb 8. The missing charge was found on my wife's credit card. That was dumb.

yoyotogblo Feb 6, 2020 5:14 pm

I also purchased two $98 tickets on Feb 3. Both charges cleared on 2/4. No movement in meter or reimbursement

alanman Feb 6, 2020 7:45 pm

Purchased $94 worth of tickets on 2/2. No movement on meter or reimbursement yet.