FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002921-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-wn-southwest-only-2020-21-a.html)

Sandeep1 Jan 5, 2020 10:40 pm

I'm all for gaming the system as much as possible. But making an airfare purchase and cancelling to get the refund back on card while retaining the AMEX credit is really pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

dhuey Jan 5, 2020 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31913664)
I'm all for gaming the system as much as possible. But making an airfare purchase and cancelling to get the refund back on card while retaining the AMEX credit is really pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

Do you think it’s pushing it if one actually flies on the <$100 flight that gets the Amex statement credit?

dhuey Jan 5, 2020 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31911240)
Purchased three $69 tickets on 1/1 with wife’s Business Plat. Posted on 1/3. Entry is Southwest, Dallas. Meter is still at $200, no credits yet.

Happy news! Statement credits posted 1/5, though they are dated 1/4. Looks like nothing changed so far in 2020.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 12:33 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31913725)
Do you think it’s pushing it if one actually flies on the <$100 flight that gets the Amex statement credit?

That's a legit credit as determined by the AMEX coding system. Nobody forced AMEX to code those for credits, they did that on their own.

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31913859)
That's a legit credit as determined by the AMEX coding system. Nobody forced AMEX to code those for credits, they did that on their own.

What difference does it make then to Amex whether I fly on Southwest flight X or Y? Despite the terms of the statement credit, they are willing to give it for some flight purchases. I don’t think it’s abusive to book some flights but switch to others.

saro Jan 6, 2020 5:57 am

Purchased 3 tickets less than $100 totalling slightly above $200 on AMEX plat on Jan 2.

Credit posted today.

bradpitch92 Jan 6, 2020 6:19 am

Originally Posted by saro (Post 31914453)
Purchased 3 tickets less than $100 totalling slightly above $200 on AMEX plat on Jan 2.

Credit posted today.

did the purchased on your amex account have your ticket details? I also purchased a $98 ticket on Jan 2 and I haven't even had my meter move yet.

HPN-HRL Jan 6, 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL (Post 31911623)
My timeline:

- 1 Jan AM: Called AMEX to change my airline to WN, later that day my accounts show that I have selected WN.
- 2 Jan AM: Bought WN tickets for $103.xx (Gold), $90.xx (Plat), $99.xx (Plat), $24.xx (Plat)
- 5 Jan AM: Gold meter shows all $100 used; Plat meter shows $90.xx used. (Other Plat purchases are still listed as pending.)

I will update as things progress.

~ 6 Jan AM: Both meters (Plat & Gold) show credit as fully used; all credits have posted.

9thSense Jan 6, 2020 8:24 am

Originally Posted by macatak911 (Post 31911873)
Allegedly systemwide travel voucher issuance system is down so don't cancel anything today until you hear it's working again

Anyone know if the system is working again? TIA!

Tim Pham Jan 6, 2020 10:03 am

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 31913402)
a chat asking for a manual adj wouldn't hurt; worked for me before

Ok, yeah I'll give it a try. What do you think I should tell the chat as to what the charges were for? THanks! I'll report back.

Hendricks433 Jan 6, 2020 10:20 am

Going for triple dip.

Bought 2 $98 tickets for Southwest on 1/2
Credit shows up this morning on my Amex account for both tickets
Going to call and cancel the card and get AF reimbursed on Friday

9thSense Jan 6, 2020 10:59 am

I myself can confirm that the system is working as I just canceled and TFs are showing up.

sparty07 Jan 6, 2020 11:18 am

FYI, MDW to DTW the last week of January has $99.98 flights.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31913974)
What difference does it make then to Amex whether I fly on Southwest flight X or Y? Despite the terms of the statement credit, they are willing to give it for some flight purchases. I don’t think it’s abusive to book some flights but switch to others.

I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment which is obviously NOT the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.

macatak911 Jan 6, 2020 12:24 pm

Without thinking I just did one transaction totaling $250.50 (Aspire) for me, wife, and kid. The receipt shows three separate payments but AMEX is showing a pending $250.50. Will these post individually <100 or for the total amount. Previous SW changes I've done with Chase have posted individually. Want to know if I need to refund to card before the 24 hours is up.

Tanic Jan 6, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31915730)
I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment instead of going on a flight which is the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.

The original purchase has been fully refunded to the AmEx account + airline credit received. Surprising that AmEx hasn't clawed back more of these.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31915879)
The original purchase has been fully refunded to the AmEx account + airline credit received. Surprising that AmEx hasn't clawed back more of these.

I suspect these will be in the next round ;)

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31915730)
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment which is obviously NOT the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.

Maybe I missed it, but I thought that approach fails to get the statement credit.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31915942)
Maybe I missed it, but I thought that approach fails to get the statement credit.

We haven't had many data points on it, just several questions on if it works.

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31915952)
We haven't had many data points on it, just several questions on if it works.

Has anyone reported success with that? Seems to me the charge would go from pending to gone, never to get a statement credit. It might work if there were refundable fares <$100, and you cancel after the charge posts. I haven’t heard of such cheap refundable fares, though. Even nonretundable fares that cheap are exceptional.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31916081)
Has anyone reported success with that? Seems to me the charge would go from pending to gone, never to get a statement credit. It might work if there were refundable fares <$100, and you cancel after the charge posts. I haven’t heard of such cheap refundable fares, though. Even nonretundable fares that cheap are exceptional.

If you wait until 22-23 hours after making the charge, and then request the refund, there is a chance the charge posts before the refund is received, which could result in the credit being triggered. I'm just guessing though. I've never tried it and never will as it falls outside of what I'm comfortable doing.

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31916110)
If you wait until 22-23 hours after making the charge, and then request the refund, there is a chance the charge posts before the refund is received, which could result in the credit being triggered. I'm just guessing though. I've never tried it and never will as it falls outside of what I'm comfortable doing.

It doesn’t seem like much of a chance, given all the data points above on the time between charges and posting.

danhouston Jan 6, 2020 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31915879)

once many of this is detected, it'll be axed

kaiotes Jan 6, 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31912545)
I wish people would be specific when making these types of posts that I see all the time.

Are you asking if you can cancel and get the refund back to your credit card OR if you can cancel and hold the funds for future travel use?

I was asking if I make the purchase would I get the refund from Wn which is yes (if I do it within 24hrs) but more importantly would I also get the amex airline credit.

Should I just buy a fully refundable fare to give the system more time to allow the charge to post etc than deal w the 24hr limitation.

danhouston Jan 6, 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes (Post 31916880)
I was asking if I make the purchase would I get the refund from Wn which is yes (if I do it within 24hrs) but more importantly would I also get the amex airline credit.

Should I just buy a fully refundable fare to give the system more time to allow the charge to post etc than deal w the 24hr limitation.

don't believe any DP is available; test to see how it works & nicely share on here..

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes (Post 31916880)

You can give it a shot, but I think the cheapest refundable ticket you’ll find will be way north of the highest dollar value ticket that has garnered a statement credit.

wallyt1215 Jan 6, 2020 6:00 pm

Do people book <$100 fares and cancel within 24 hours so that the flight just doesn't post but the airline credit gets triggered and therefore "free $x00"? Or do they cancel after 24 hours and receive SW travel voucher credit?

If the former, I can see why that is skirting dangerously close to AmEx RAT but if the latter, how would AmEx even know if you cancelled on the SW end?

Visconti Jan 6, 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by wallyt1215 (Post 31917193)
If the former, I can see why that is skirting dangerously close to AmEx RAT but if the latter, how would AmEx even know if you cancelled on the SW end?

Not a lawyer nor have I read their T&Cs.

In my experience with Amex and this credit, for whatever reason, they haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions. While this may not continue, there's little risk for adverse action, in my view. If Amex were so inclined, they'll just claw back the credit, reset the meter, and that's that. Likewise, the cardmember would have no grievance to complain since it's clearly stated that ticket purchases DO NOT qualify for the credit.

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31917218)

In my experience with Amex and this credit, for whatever reason, they haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions. While this may not continue, there's little risk for adverse action, in my view. If Amex were so inclined, they'll just claw back the credit, reset the meter, and that's that. Likewise, the cardmember would have no grievance to complain since it's clearly stated that ticket purchases DO NOT qualify for the credit.

Depends on how much times passes between when the credit was issued and when the claw back occurs.

Visconti Jan 6, 2020 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31917285)
Depends on how much times passes between when the credit was issued and when the claw back occurs.

Sure. Standard SOL would be a year upon discovery? Not a lawyer, but I'm sure we have plenty on FT who would could correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if it's fraud, then they could go back 3 years?

Sandeep1 Jan 6, 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31917306)
Sure. Standard SOL would be a year upon discovery? Not a lawyer, but I'm sure we have plenty on FT who would could correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if it's fraud, then they could go back 3 years?

1 year sounds reasonable. Not sure how they would prove fraud here and that likely wouldn't hold up in arbitration.

Visconti Jan 6, 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31917409)
1 year sounds reasonable. Not sure how they would prove fraud here and that likely wouldn't hold up in arbitration.

YMMV & pure speculation. I’d be almost anything they wouldn’t bother.

mia Jan 6, 2020 7:43 pm

..... haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions.....

A year ago they had not bothered to calibrate their system to exclude gift card purchases. They will close ticket purchases when they see the transaction spike. They don't need to prove anything, just establish that the transactions do not qualify for reimbursement, which is straightforward because the terms only list exclusions.

sleepy3192 Jan 6, 2020 8:06 pm

clawing back the credit isn't something you should be worried about. It's that they can potentially close ALL of your credit cards under american express and take away all of your points earned. you will then care I'm sure..

Visconti Jan 6, 2020 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sleepy3192 (Post 31917575)
clawing back the credit isn't something you should be worried about. It's that they can potentially close ALL of your credit cards under american express and take away all of your points earned. you will then care I'm sure..

This is not speculation. I have zero concern this will ever happen to me, at least not in this lifetime.

dhuey Jan 6, 2020 8:30 pm

As if Amex would do that to someone for buying some <$100 tickets. For all they know, you flew on the flights.

JMWEEZ Jan 6, 2020 10:16 pm

Its not like we're buying tickets from WN then having to call Amex and lie about the purchase in order to get the credit. AMEX is automatically applying the credit to the purchase whether we want them to or not. It's not unreasonable to buy <$100 tickets and canceling without the expectation that it will trigger the credit.

ajc1970 Jan 6, 2020 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by ajc1970 (Post 31905230)
1/1/2020: Purchased $172.98 Southwest flight (for my mom who will actually fly it). Used $75 in GCs and charged $97.98 to Amex Biz Plat. Txn pending, no meter movement or reimbursement yet. Will update this post with results once known.

Meter still hasn't budged. Concerned a bit after seeing other people who purchased 1/1/2020 had their meter move on 1/5.

Sandeep1 Jan 7, 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970 (Post 31918102)
Meter still hasn't budged. Concerned a bit after seeing other people who purchased 1/1/2020 had their meter move on 1/5.

All my purchases were made on Jan 2, 3, and 4. Everything has been credited.

dhuey Jan 7, 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970 (Post 31918102)

Do you know how to go into incognito mode in a browser? Try logging in that way. Some posters suspect that old cached data might be affecting what you see in recent charges, credits and meter positions.