FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002921-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-wn-southwest-only-2020-21-a.html)

Mama Jun 7, 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 32436152)
i thought ive read prior posts that you bought WN tickets then canceled under 24HRs to double dip the credit. but if you had bought only GC for WN air credit, then theres probably nothing to worry about yet. except for this year, GC trick changed to actual WN tickets which is concerning because its easy for amex to see and clawback.

1. Nobody is suggesting you can buy WN ticket, get AMEX's airline fee credit for the ticket purchase, then cancel within 24 hour to get full refund from WN. If this is your definition of "double dip", it is not going to happen.
2. WN gift cards do not qualified for AMEX's airline fees credit. In fact, AMEX never officially allows gift cards. People could do it in the past because AMEX did not crack down on it. But starting this year AMEX does crack down, and it is up to AMEX to clawback and charge customers for past gift card purchase . Those customers will not have any legal ground to fight back if they were charged for the past gift cards.
3. If the AMEX annual fee is too high for you to swallow, why don't you cancel your Amex card instead instead of trying to scam Amex?

GundamWing01 Jun 7, 2020 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 32436176)
Earlier this year I bought some cheap WN tickets but I always cancelled and held for future use. I never requested a refund back to the card. Some other posters were suggesting doing that and I actually was advising against it because that was pushing things too far.

oh got it. so that wasnt you. nvmd. appreciate the clarification.

Originally Posted by Mama (Post 32436188)
1. Nobody is suggesting you can buy WN ticket, get AMEX's airline fee credit for the ticket purchase, then cancel within 24 hour to get full refund from WN. If this is your definition of "double dip", it is not going to happen.
2. WN gift cards do not qualified for AMEX's airline fees credit. In fact, AMEX never officially allows gift cards. People could do it in the past because AMEX did not crack down on it. But starting this year AMEX does crack down, and it is up to AMEX to clawback and charge customers for past gift card purchase . Those customers will not have any legal ground to fight back if they were charged for the past gift cards.
3. If the AMEX annual fee is too high for you to swallow, why don't you cancel your Amex card instead instead of trying to scam Amex?

umm... welcome to this thread mom... thank you for your input.

Sloflyer032 Jun 7, 2020 4:13 am

Scam? Lol

Tanic Jun 7, 2020 8:26 am

It's always better to actually read the forum content first before making a statement about it.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f164f2caf6.png

Sandeep1 Jun 7, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 (Post 32436409)
Scam? Lol

Lol I got a laugh out of that one too. AMEX scammed themselves by crediting people for something that they shouldn't have, lol.

atxvinyl Jun 7, 2020 1:17 pm

Thinking of purchasing a $143 Wanna Get Away fare (which I actually will be flying), using a $50GC, and having the change ($93) post to my Amex Biz Plat. This should work right to get the credit?

Tanic Jun 7, 2020 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32437657)
Thinking of purchasing a $143 Wanna Get Away fare (which I actually will be flying), using a $50GC, and having the change ($93) post to my Amex Biz Plat. This should work right to get the credit?

Don't even need that much. Just buy a $35 e-GC on the WN website and use it to pay down the fare.

atxvinyl Jun 7, 2020 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 32437688)
Don't even need that much. Just buy a $35 e-GC on the WN website and use it to pay down the fare.

Already have the $50 GC otherwise I'd do that haha.

NewFriend Jun 7, 2020 3:14 pm

Purchasing 2 tickets

If I want make one purchase of 2 tickets @ $159 each (for a total of $318) and use a $200 gift card will that work for part of my $200 AmEx reimbursement? Or won't it work because it is over $109? How about purchasing 1 ticket and using a $50 gift card. Unfortunately, those are the only 2 denominations of gift cards I have. I plan to actually fly once the ticket is bought. Thanks!

libralibra Jun 7, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by NewFriend (Post 32437940)
If I want make one purchase of 2 tickets @ $159 each (for a total of $318) and use a $200 gift card will that work for part of my $200 AmEx reimbursement? Or won't it work because it is over $109? How about purchasing 1 ticket and using a $50 gift card. Unfortunately, those are the only 2 denominations of gift cards I have. I plan to actually fly once the ticket is bought. Thanks!

yeah, searching for "record" in this thread and it seems like $109 is the highest reported reimbursement.

But you could also just book 2 $100 "temporary" tickets, get the $200 credit, cancel the tickets back to travel funds, and then book your real tickets. Just make sure the passenger names match up - eg if you mistakenly buy 2 $100 tickets in your name, you wouldn't be able to apply any of it to the other passenger.

Sandeep1 Jun 7, 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by libralibra (Post 32438108)
yeah, searching for "record" in this thread and it seems like $109 is the highest reported reimbursement.

But you could also just book 2 $100 "temporary" tickets, get the $200 credit, cancel the tickets back to travel funds, and then book your real tickets. Just make sure the passenger names match up - eg if you mistakenly buy 2 $100 tickets in your name, you wouldn't be able to apply any of it to the other passenger.

This is the correct approach.

GundamWing01 Jun 7, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by NewFriend (Post 32437940)

just like the prior comment had noted, you dont need to worry about mixing and matching your tickets with GCs even though you plan to fly. at this point, just get the amex credits with dummy flights under 109, cancel after 24hrs for the TF being extended to 9/22, then do whatever you want with your GC and TF. you have plenty of options at that point. just know, max 3 payment forms per PNR. or you can even convert to RR pts when that option opens.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...onditions.html

You can combine up to three payment methods to pay for your purchase. Choose from the following combinations:
  • Southwest gift cards – A maximum of three Southwest gift cards can be applied per passenger on each reservation. If your purchase exceeds the amount available on the three Southwest gift cards, you will only be allowed to use two Southwest gift cards and another form of payment will be required for the difference.
  • Held Funds – A maximum of three Held Funds tickets can be applied per Passenger on each reservation. If your purchase exceeds the amount available on the three Held Funds tickets, you will only be allowed to use two Held Funds tickets and another form of payment will be required for the difference.
  • Southwest LUV vouchers - A maximum of two Southwest LUV vouchers can be applied per passenger on each reservation. Another form of payment will be required to pay for taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges associated with each reservation.
  • Credit Card – Only one credit card, including, without limitation, PayPal, can be applied per reservation.

atxvinyl Jun 8, 2020 11:26 am

DP: Bought a $147.98 ticket, used a $50 GC, put $97.98 on my Amex Plat Biz. Will follow up on this DP.

Travelchurner Jun 8, 2020 12:50 pm

Amex Biz Plat:
6/2: selected wn as airline
6/2: 12 mins later, purchased 2 separate tickets/transactions for $48.97 and $58.95. Transactions on card did not combine.
6/8: Still not reimbursed.

atxvinyl Jun 8, 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 32440304)
Amex Biz Plat:
6/2: 12 mins later, purchased 2 separate tickets/transactions for $48.97 and $58.95. Transactions on card did not combine.

Did you use a giftcard?

Travelchurner Jun 8, 2020 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440312)
Did you use a giftcard?

No. Should I have? I thought it'd be ok since they were separate transactions.

atxvinyl Jun 8, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 32440317)
No. Should I have? I thought it'd be ok since they were separate transactions.

Not sure. I used GCs to get the flights below $100, so we'll see if it changes how the transaction posts/codes.

Travelchurner Jun 8, 2020 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440330)
Not sure. I used GCs to get the flights below $100, so we'll see if it changes how the transaction posts/codes.

I've done this at least 3-4 times on different cards in the past year.
I only used a gc if flight was above ~$106.
Not sure what went wrong this time.
I may have needed to wait longer after airline selection before flight purchase.

Sandeep1 Jun 8, 2020 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 32440338)
I've done this at least 3-4 times on different cards in the past year.
I only used a gc if flight was above ~$106.
Not sure what went wrong this time.
I may have needed to wait longer after airline selection before flight purchase.

Or they're just slow. Give it another week before going into panic mode.

atxvinyl Jun 8, 2020 3:38 pm

What's the most recent successful DP?

Sloflyer032 Jun 8, 2020 3:45 pm

Amex Biz Plat:

on my hilton card last year the purchases I made the same day that I designated SWA did not go get credited but the ones I made the following day did.

atxvinyl Jun 8, 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 (Post 32440662)
on my hilton card last year the purchases I made the same day that I designated SWA did not go get credited but the ones I made the following day did.

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440046)
DP: Bought a $147.98 ticket, used a $50 GC, put $97.98 on my Amex Plat Biz. Will follow up on this DP.

To add to my DP... My purchases were made today 6/8 and I did the airline selection Sunday (6/7). If successful then maybe waiting a day is needed after airline selection. Will update this DP at some point.

Travelchurner Jun 8, 2020 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440671)
To add to my DP... My purchases were made today 6/8 and I did the airline selection Sunday (6/7). If successful then maybe waiting a day is needed after airline selection. Will update this DP at some point.

keep me updated, thanks

gmt4 Jun 8, 2020 7:55 pm

Fairly recent DP, Aspire card:

25 May $62.08 charge
27 May credit

Both my Plat and Aspire are zeroed out for the year.

That took care of that..now waiting on my Aspire resort fee -> restaurant credits to post. A week into June and nothing on those first couple of charges from 1 and 2 June.

GundamWing01 Jun 9, 2020 4:26 am

Amex Biz Plat:

as other posters have noted, either you bought too quickly or the system is super slow. nothing to do with GC. ive never done same day, but i have def waited over a week for my credits to post. same with amex personal gold dining $10. took a week. also, things depend what other system priorities are taking place. i dont like doing things at the beginning of the month or on weekends. ive seen too many IT issues when system batch jobs are running. this time, im sure amex is dealing with all these new credits like the aspire 250 resort used for dining.

steve4 Jun 9, 2020 8:10 am

6/6: Changed my airline from AA to Southwest
6/7: Charged $48.98 on Aspire
6/8: Received the reimbursement

I used up the $100 credit on my Gold card right before the pandemic began, but just started using the credit on the Aspire card.

Would it be better to do more smaller charges (under $50) or fewer larger charges (under $100) to help trigger the credits ?

atxvinyl Jun 9, 2020 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by steve4 (Post 32442202)
6/6: Changed my airline from AA to Southwest
6/7: Charged $48.98 on Aspire
6/8: Received the reimbursement

Sounds like waiting a day after airline selection is required to get it to work? I made two separate charges/bookings, $82 and $97 each, still waiting for them to post.

mia Jun 9, 2020 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32442846)
Sounds like waiting a day after airline selection is required to get it to work?

It's not required, because we have success reports after waiting only a few minutes, but there is no disadvantage to waiting, say, 48 hours because there is no way to know in advance if your registration is one that is processed immediately.

SCtrojan Jun 10, 2020 4:48 am

I see people posting they changed the airline in June to WN. I thought we could only change in January, how did you do that? I cannot do it online but maybe with a call?

mia Jun 10, 2020 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SCtrojan (Post 32444433)
I cannot do it online but maybe with a call?

Correct. If you have not used any of the benefit in 2020, customer service will probably allow you to change if you ask courteously.

atxvinyl Jun 10, 2020 12:55 pm

Two separate charges $82 and $97 respectively have posted today. Waiting on credits.

PokerWhammy Jun 11, 2020 6:29 am

Two ticket purchases bought with a previous voucher + Gold Amex credit card on June 7. The Amex $100 credit tracker showed I used all credit on June 10, and I received two credit reimbursements $54ish+$46ish totaling $100 on June 11

pugsley21 Jun 11, 2020 8:11 am

Bought 2 tickets

Just bought 2 tickets for $98.98 each on different transactions. Both have posted as of 6/9. Waiting for credits to post. No intention of cancelling because I actually am going to take those flights. Will update for new DP once credits post.

atxvinyl Jun 11, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440671)

Update: The $200 meter on American Express website shows I have $19 of $200 left as of 6/10. So I should see credits post tomorrow. Used a $50 GC on each one way flight to get it under $100. Seems to still be working.

atxvinyl Jun 11, 2020 8:57 am

Originally Posted by pugsley21 (Post 32447715)
Just bought 2 tickets for $98.98 each on different transactions. Both have posted as of 6/9. Waiting for credits to post. No intention of cancelling because I actually am going to take those flights. Will update for new DP once credits post.

See if the meter on Amex moves at all. If it does and credits haven't posted yet, they will.

NewFriend Jun 11, 2020 12:18 pm

Update: My 2 tickets purchased on 6/7 for $98.97 (purchased separately) were reimbursed on 6/10. Thank you libralibra and Sandeep1 for your quick replies that helped me get this done. On a side note - it was great flying with Southwest yesterday. All middle seats empty!

atxvinyl Jun 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Most Recent Successful DP

Originally Posted by atxvinyl (Post 32440046)

Amex Plat Biz

6/7: Picked WN as my airline.
6/8: Bought two one-way tickets on separate transactions. $97.98 and $82.98 (used GCs to get them down to this amount that would post to my Amex Plat Biz)
6/10: Meter moved
6/11: two credits posted respectively

Note 1: on amex.com desktop the transaction details has my ticket # and origin/destination.
Note 2: I think waiting a day after airline selection is best to be safe
Note 3: Transaction under $100 are the way to go.

SCtrojan Jun 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32444488)
Correct. If you have not used any of the benefit in 2020, customer service will probably allow you to change if you ask courteously.

Thanks! I have one card with Delta, but I think more chance this method will work. Also worst case is I am buying a bunch of WN credit which I generally see as OK since I LUV Southwest. Delta is not so bad but it doesn't serve my area as well.

GundamWing01 Jun 13, 2020 1:08 am

Amex Biz Plat:

wanted to check in on this. anything yet? its been over a week.

steve4 Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Here’s another DP (Aspire):

6/11: Charged $98.98

6/13: Credited $98.98

I’m a happy camper :)