Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Amex: can only provide UK numbers for verifying purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue

A somewhat niche issue, but I would think not entirely unique to the FT community.

I was logging into my UK Amex online account, and in keeping with most UK financial institutions trying to tackle online fraud I presume, there was a banner notice stating that "soon" they would need to contact me by SMS for online purchases. So I went to update my contact details. However, the _ONLY_ options, be it work/ mobile/ home numbers were UK numbers.

As it happens, I (mostly) work overseas, so this rather a problem for me....I have put in my UK mobile number, but that will only be helpful a fraction of the time...

By contrast, my bank allows for any phone number, so it seems it doesn't necessarily need to be like this.

My own rather niche issues aside, this sort-of fraud prevention will surely get in the way of making online purchases overseas if one is using a local SIM card etc??

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.