Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Maximize Value of AMEX Spend for Delta Diamond Waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond

I'm about to hit $220,000 in spend on Delta Skymiles Amex cards -- 2 Plats (personal and business) and 2 Reserve (personal and business). This will exhaust all of my opportunities on the current cards to get bonus miles and bonus MQMs. Is there any way to get bonus miles or bonus MQMs out of my last $30,000 in spend that will be needed to get an MQD waiver for Diamond?

Last edited by GatorBlues; Jul 29, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You earn extra miles on DL tickets charged to the card, although if you also have a regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card, plane tickets charged there earn MR points per dollar.

As a PM with the Reserve card, my DL tickets charged there earn an additional two miles (total) per dollar spend, including taxes and fees (not just MQD as is use in the RDM calculation in my DL FF account at 11 miles per MQD).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait to see if they add a third tier this year?

Work on Amex offers?

That last $30k is tough for me to justify.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You earn extra miles on DL tickets charged to the card, although if you also have a regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card, plane tickets charged there earn MR points per dollar.

As a PM with the Reserve card, my DL tickets charged there earn an additional two miles (total) per dollar spend, including taxes and fees (not just MQD as is use in the RDM calculation in my DL FF account at 11 miles per MQD).

True, but I won't be buying $30,000 in plane tickets before the end of the year. If I was doing that, I wouldn't need the MQD waiver. Still, it's a good suggestion to be sure I put all Delta tickets on one of my skymiles cards for the rest of the year.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Jul 29, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
Wait to see if they add a third tier this year?

Work on Amex offers?

That last $30k is tough for me to justify.

I called AMEX about the offer some received in the past to earn an extra MQM bonus offer by reaching $90K in spend. The agent said there are no such offers at this time. Perhaps they will offer one later.

Mining the AMEX offers is a good suggestion, although that will be a fraction of the spend I need for Diamond.

You hit the nail on the head with respect to the value of the last $30K in spend. My pause is over whether to bother with the Diamond waiver or stick to Platinum, maximize rollover MQMs for next year, and shift my business expenses to my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Jul 29, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I called AMEX about the offer some received in the past to earn an extra MQM bonus offer by reaching $90K in spend. The agent said there are no such offers at this time. Perhaps they will offer one later.

AMEX offers is a good suggestion, although that will be a fraction of the spend I need for Diamond.

Exactly. My pause is over whether to bother with the Diamond waiver or stick to Platinum, maximize rollover MQMs for next year, and shift my business expenses to my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
If I could figure out good uses for the global upgrade certificates, I'd be much more likely to push for the waiver. But they've become really, really hard to use. In fact, recently, the flights I've found where I could use them cost almost as much as better itineraries in business (sometimes on Delta; sometimes on competitors). I'm loyal, but not that loyal.

Platinum does almost as much for me, so I might be headed there. Less push overall to remain Platinum. I can still make and cancel award tickets, and I think I'd still get most of the upgrades I get currently (I'd guess 90%).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
If I could figure out good uses for the global upgrade certificates, I'd be much more likely to push for the waiver. But they've become really, really hard to use. In fact, recently, the flights I've found where I could use them cost almost as much as better itineraries in business (sometimes on Delta; sometimes on competitors). I'm loyal, but not that loyal.

Platinum does almost as much for me, so I might be headed there. Less push overall to remain Platinum. I can still make and cancel award tickets, and I think I'd still get most of the upgrades I get currently (I'd guess 90%).
I've had the same problem with Regional Upgrade Certificates. I can't remember the last time there was any inventory at the time of booking to use one for a confirmed first class seat. Instead, they just move me higher on the upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.