Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will adding AU on Amex Platinum help build credit?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Will adding AU on Amex Platinum help build credit?

I'm helping a younger member of my family build a credit history by adding them as an authorized user to my Amex Platinum (free Gold card). I'll hold on to the card.

I've researched this a bit, and it doesn't seem like this will actually help their credit that much because it is a charge card and no credit limit is reported to the bureaus so she won't get the benefit of my low utilization (nor do I, I guess). Does anyone know for sure? I can add them to a Visa/MC but I have a 5k MR/AU promo available currently so I'd like the points.

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by joachimm
I'm helping a younger member of my family build a credit history by adding them as an authorized user to my Amex Platinum (free Gold card). I'll hold on to the card.

I've researched this a bit, and it doesn't seem like this will actually help their credit that much because it is a charge card and no credit limit is reported to the bureaus so she won't get the benefit of my low utilization (nor do I, I guess). Does anyone know for sure? I can add them to a Visa/MC but I have a 5k MR/AU promo available currently so I'd like the points.

Thanks
I have a very similar situation. The agent told me they wont report anyone below 18. It may help if your child is over 18, otherwise, no real benefit.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joachimm

Thanks
A relative was the AU on an Amex Plat account that eventually went Centurion. When the relative was removed as an AU from the Amex Plat account, the removed AU relative’s FICO score dropped 20-30 points per the Amex FICO score display on the Amex website. The removed AU relative’s score recovered a bit over time but even a year out it had not recovered to what it was before, and that is despite perfect payment history and no/little debt. I am not sure if all or any of that was related to being removed from the Amex account, but the timing of the score changes was suggestive of it being connected.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:19 am

From my experience with my kids as AU it helps.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:21 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
From my experience with my kids as AU it helps.
Other credit cards (American Executive Master Card, Capital One, BofA) definitely seem to help. I don't know about Amex Platinum.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stc
Other credit cards (American Executive Master Card, Capital One, BofA) definitely seem to help. I don't know about Amex Platinum.
An Amex Platinum account holders' credit history with Amex definitely can have an impact on the credit score of many an AU on Amex Platinum accounts.

More on AU accounts helping to "build credit" of the AUs:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickcle...thorized-user/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.