Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried to dispute a purchase with a merchant that has a no return policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I got a wedding dress this Tuesday and paid $800 with my Amex Gold for alterations and I signed a contract saying that all sales are final. I was supposed to have my first fitting today but they had mixed up my appointment times and I wasn’t able to make it. When I was trying to reschedule, they told me multiple fittings would be needed which they didn’t disclose prior of me purchasing it, and they had no appointments available that worked for me since I leave in four days. I had told them that my wedding was next Friday and I leave this upcoming Tuesday. With no appointments I can go to available, I had to cancel the alterations altogether and now I have a dress that hasn't been altered and out $800. Would I be able to dispute the charges or am I out of luck since I signed the contract?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you can point to a contract provision which guarantees only one fitting in a time-frame, you are going to have a very tough time on this one. It's hardly usual for there to be only a single fitting, so it's not as though the vendor is doing anything out of the ordinary.

It won't hurt you to make the case to Amex, but you can expect the merchant vendor to fight this one tooth and nail.

Isn't the better approach to try to work this out with the vendor and find times which might work? Maybe speak with someone else.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I've spoken to the manager and the owner of the salon to try to find a time that works, but their latest alterations appointment is at 3pm and I work 8am - 5pm and they will not take me in on the weekends. I only assumed that 2 alterations max were needed since they were just shortening the straps, not 4. I know it probably falls on me since I signed the contract, but it is terribly frustrating for them not being able to accommodate me when they double booked.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Unfortunately, the "return protection" program, which generally protects against all-sales-final policies, cannot help you either -- bridal wear is excluded: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf. (And it would be capped at $300 even if it could help.)

Sounds like it's worth taking whatever steps you can to take off work and find times that work for you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can find a competent free lance alterations person who can reliably do what's needed in the available time, that should work and is likely to be cheaper than the alterations prices charged by the bridal gown store.

However, was the gown made and delivered late or not made correctly in your size? People usually arrange for bridal gowns well in advance of the ceremony. Did the store mislead you on this or fail to have the gown available for fittings on time as promised?

Can you perhaps arrange with your employer to do the alterations during your (scheduled to work) lunch hour or could you take time off during the day in exchange for arriving early or working late (or as unpaid leave time)? I would expect an employer to understand that a wedding is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime event, but your job might have particular demands or busy times.
nancypants and Statman like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Unfortunately, the "return protection" program, which generally protects against all-sales-final policies, cannot help you either -- bridal wear is excluded:
Of course it is - otherwise, people would use this benefit to get a free bridal gown rental, with Amex having to pay not just a rental cost, but the entire purchase price.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Return protection is very nitpicky these days. If it's questionable to even the smallest extent, they will probably find a way to deny the claim.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by shipp0
I got a wedding dress this Tuesday and paid $800 with my Amex Gold for alterations and I signed a contract saying that all sales are final. I was supposed to have my first fitting today but they had mixed up my appointment times and I wasn’t able to make it. When I was trying to reschedule, they told me multiple fittings would be needed which they didn’t disclose prior of me purchasing it, and they had no appointments available that worked for me since I leave in four days. I had told them that my wedding was next Friday and I leave this upcoming Tuesday. With no appointments I can go to available, I had to cancel the alterations altogether and now I have a dress that hasn't been altered and out $800. Would I be able to dispute the charges or am I out of luck since I signed the contract?
So they mixed up the appointment times, didn't want to accommodate your open schedule, and then then you still took the dress.

Customer service these days is non-existent at 99.9% of businesses out there. Why did you even take the dress? I would've said "no thanks, the dress doesn't fit and you couldn't hold up your end of the bargain... It's not a sale."
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
So they mixed up the appointment times, didn't want to accommodate your open schedule, and then then you still took the dress.

Customer service these days is non-existent at 99.9% of businesses out there. Why did you even take the dress? I would've said "no thanks, the dress doesn't fit and you couldn't hold up your end of the bargain... It's not a sale."
Right...because you showed up to your own wedding in a potato sack...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by shipp0
I've spoken to the manager and the owner of the salon to try to find a time that works, but their latest alterations appointment is at 3pm and I work 8am - 5pm and they will not take me in on the weekends. I only assumed that 2 alterations max were needed since they were just shortening the straps, not 4. I know it probably falls on me since I signed the contract, but it is terribly frustrating for them not being able to accommodate me when they double booked.
Why don’t you take some time off work? After all it is your wedding. In my business I get terribly frustrated with clients that expect me to work for just them at 8pm or take an appointment on Sunday all because they refuse to take time off of their job. Well sorry I have family too that I have to see sometime. That’s why I post clear business hours.
Statman, Jerkstore and Frazell like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer

Right...because you showed up to your own wedding in a potato sack...
Or you know, you go somewhere else. There's this thing called competition.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by tromboneboss
Why don’t you take some time off work? After all it is your wedding. In my business I get terribly frustrated with clients that expect me to work for just them at 8pm or take an appointment on Sunday all because they refuse to take time off of their job. Well sorry I have family too that I have to see sometime. That’s why I post clear business hours.
That's part of owning a business. A place like Target can close at 9pm because the average customer isn't a "client." When you do business on a personal level and with big money involved, expect to do after hours work.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:08 am

The sad part about today's business culture is that, if you want to have a proper wedding, followed by honeymoon, etc., then you're already taking some time off from work, that in boss's view is "excessive." Which could be why bosses will try to cram too much work right before you're away. So in the end, people end up working more, not less, before their wedding. I am personally aware of several such examples.
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Or you know, you go somewhere else. There's this thing called competition.
Maybe she did. Which is why she's asking about refund on the first dress.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that unless OP has abused the chargeback process in the past, there is little downside to attempting it here. It might work. It might not. While card issuers may tire of customers who abuse it, if it is a one-off, it won't hurt, it is free, it is online, and takes less time than OP has spent on this thread.

That said, I would be surprised if it works. For an expensive item, the card issuer will not eat the cost as a goodwill gesture and the merchant will likely say that it did its best and there is no contractual requirement that it shift its hours or other practice. A short way of saying that I would not spend the money just yet.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

If you had mixed up the client’s scheduled appointment time, as OP says this shop did, wouldn’t you make an exception to this policy to make it right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.