AMEX UK vs USA IAP Airline Discount

Old Jun 3, 19, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
AMEX UK vs USA IAP Airline Discount

I recently spoke to my AMEX UK Centurion concierge who claims the IAP discounted rates show up on the online travel booking website (note in the UK this is not amextravel site like USA) but I have yet to see any sort of discount whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone knows any of the below info:

1. Do these rates actually show up on the UK site?
2. Is the USA and UK IAP the same or not?
3. If not, does one tend to be better than another?
4. Is the IAP discounted fares the same for Platinum vs Cent cards or does the Cent have any better discounts than the Plat?
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:29 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by craazyman View Post
This seems improbable, because the USA program includes this geographic restriction which would not be sensible for most UK cardholders:

Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways.
I also would not expect the same airlines to need to offer discounts in the UK as in the USA.
Old Jun 3, 19, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
That's what I believe as well. Perhaps I can ask Cent concierge for full details of the program and share with you all
Old Sep 26, 19, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Did you get any more information on this? Where can I see the UK IAP tickets?
Old Sep 27, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by craazyman View Post
I recently spoke to my AMEX UK Centurion concierge who claims the IAP discounted rates show up on the online travel booking website (note in the UK this is not amextravel site like USA) but I have yet to see any sort of discount whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone knows any of the below info:

1. Do these rates actually show up on the UK site?
3. If not, does one tend to be better than another?
4. Is the IAP discounted fares the same for Platinum vs Cent cards or does the Cent have any better discounts than the Plat?
I have no experience with the UK travel site, but I can tell you that even in the USA when I see an online fare that says "International Airline Program" it isn't always discounted compared to what Google Flights is finding. So you might not be seeing discounts because there isn't one on that flight. Or it's the fact your concierge was incorrect?
Old Sep 27, 19, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I've never found a better price w concierge versus Google flights from UK sadly

Search this Thread