FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX UK vs USA IAP Airline Discount (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1972465-amex-uk-vs-usa-iap-airline-discount.html)

craazyman Jun 3, 2019 9:44 am

AMEX UK vs USA IAP Airline Discount

I recently spoke to my AMEX UK Centurion concierge who claims the IAP discounted rates show up on the online travel booking website (note in the UK this is not amextravel site like USA) but I have yet to see any sort of discount whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone knows any of the below info:

1. Do these rates actually show up on the UK site?
2. Is the USA and UK IAP the same or not?
3. If not, does one tend to be better than another?
4. Is the IAP discounted fares the same for Platinum vs Cent cards or does the Cent have any better discounts than the Plat?

mia Jun 3, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by craazyman (Post 31165976)

This seems improbable, because the USA program includes this geographic restriction which would not be sensible for most UK cardholders:

Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways.
I also would not expect the same airlines to need to offer discounts in the UK as in the USA.

craazyman Jun 3, 2019 2:01 pm

That's what I believe as well. Perhaps I can ask Cent concierge for full details of the program and share with you all

onlysuites Sep 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Did you get any more information on this? Where can I see the UK IAP tickets?

Gig103 Sep 27, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by craazyman (Post 31165976)
I recently spoke to my AMEX UK Centurion concierge who claims the IAP discounted rates show up on the online travel booking website (note in the UK this is not amextravel site like USA) but I have yet to see any sort of discount whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone knows any of the below info:

1. Do these rates actually show up on the UK site?
3. If not, does one tend to be better than another?
4. Is the IAP discounted fares the same for Platinum vs Cent cards or does the Cent have any better discounts than the Plat?

I have no experience with the UK travel site, but I can tell you that even in the USA when I see an online fare that says "International Airline Program" it isn't always discounted compared to what Google Flights is finding. So you might not be seeing discounts because there isn't one on that flight. Or it's the fact your concierge was incorrect?

BobbySteel Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am

I've never found a better price w concierge versus Google flights from UK sadly

b1982 Nov 5, 2019 3:55 pm

I used UK Amex Travel to book a business class ticket today. Some search results had "International Airline Programme" next to them. The one I booked was about 300 pounds cheaper than from the airlines' web site (Qatar).

dadig Nov 17, 2019 2:19 am

Outside US and UK IAP fares are almost always Business Z fare class. I don't know if it has been rolled out yet but its done over the phone

aceman Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

Interesting, I came across this thread googling the international airline program.

I booking flights on Qatar via my uk plat, originating from the CPH returning to uk. Price on Qatar is £2156 vs £2045 on platinum (£2152 on expedia)

Strangely though, pricing up a regular return ticket that "international airline program" banner doesnt appear on any of the flights, and the price is approximately the same as booking directly

dadig Feb 23, 2020 2:26 pm

After a couple QR trips now, I found that UK travel portal doesn't even show the possible options compared to travel aggregators which are also often cheaper. Calling in concierge doesn't help much as they see exactly the same rate and options you see on the online site. Thus, it is often easier to book directly or via aggregator with a longer connection time if you transit, as QR as it is actually a nice airport.

In summary, I personally haven't found any use for UK IAP, unless you are trying to accrue MR points