Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX BA card [UK], can it be used as debit card?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

AMEX BA card [UK], can it be used as debit card?

hello,
I was about to apply for the american express/British Airways, when I see in the terms and condition : TOTAL AMOUNT PAYABLE £1,335.46 .. it's not clear, but do I have to pay £1,335.46 to apply?

- second question... I intend to use the card as a debit, meaning, I want to recharge with my own money and use it with my own money, I do not intend to use it on credit, hence I don't want to take advantage of the 22.9% APR, is it possible? can I use the card as a debit card? it's a bit unclear on the application...
many thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cat3appr
hello,
I was about to apply for the american express/British Airways, when I see in the terms and condition : TOTAL AMOUNT PAYABLE £1,335.46 .. it's not clear, but do I have to pay £1,335.46 to apply?

- second question... I intend to use the card as a debit, meaning, I want to recharge with my own money and use it with my own money, I do not intend to use it on credit, hence I don't want to take advantage of the 22.9% APR, is it possible? can I use the card as a debit card? it's a bit unclear on the application...
many thanks!
You shouldn’t have to pay anything to apply. Might be clearer if you posted a screenshot.

It is a credit card and not a debit card. As long as you pay your balance in full by the due date you will not pay any interest. You cannot link it to your bank account have each transaction deduct from your bank balance, nor can you “load” money on it like a prepaid card. I suppose you could overpay and have an negative balance, but I would highly recommend against that.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Hi,

If you are talking about the British Airways American Express® Credit Card, then on the terms and conditions, the amount payable you are referring to is a comparison of the interest rate, and what you would have to pay if:
• you make one purchase of £1,200 at the start of the agreement;
if a cardmembership fee applies, we charge it on the date your account is opened and, for monthly fees, on the same date each month;
• there’s no change in the interest rate and no other fees or charges apply; and
• you repay any annual cardmembership fee on the day we charge it to the account and everything else in 12 equal monthly payments
The annual fee for the card (what you have to pay when the first statement comes in) is of 0£. If you wish to use it as a 'debit card', and hence pay no interest, you need to pay off the full amount spent on the card, every month, on time. Otherwise, you will start incurring interest at 22.9% APR.

Hope it helps.

By the way, here is the summary box for that card, which sums up the fees etc https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...SummaryBox.pdf
Old May 20, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by jags86

You shouldn’t have to pay anything to apply. Might be clearer if you posted a screenshot.

It is a credit card and not a debit card. As long as you pay your balance in full by the due date you will not pay any interest. You cannot link it to your bank account have each transaction deduct from your bank balance, nor can you “load” money on it like a prepaid card. I suppose you could overpay and have an negative balance, but I would highly recommend against that.
Actually, you are not able to overpay for these cards (for any UK credit cards, as far as I know. Here is an except of the T&C of the card, in page 8. https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...ACreditTCs.pdf

If you pay more than you owe us under this agreement, we'll return the amount you've overpaid.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86

I couldn't add a screenshot and i can't even add urls...because this forum forbids me to do it if I don't have 5 posts already, a bit silly. Anyway,the screenshot is here , just add the h t t p s and slashes ibb.co/k3bb34r

The confusing part, what is that total amount payable of £1,335.46 ? why is it so precise?
What is this " you make one purchase of £1,200 at the start of the agreement " referring to? What is that 22.9% APR and 22.9% APR refers to?
Do I understand correct that if I pay my balance on time, each month, then there are no other fees?
If I can't link it to my bank account, how do I load it? How do I make the payments?
Old May 22, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The total amount payable if referring to an illustrative £1,200 purchase paid off over a certain period of time, including the interest you pay

APR is the annualised interest rate on outstanding balances

If you pay off you balance each month then you do not pay interest. You can set up a direct debt, or make a payment to your credit card account from your bank account using internet banking

You should read up on how credit cards work before starting to use it
Old May 22, 2019, 10:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What is this " you make one purchase of £1,200 at the start of the agreement " referring to? What is that 22.9% APR and 22.9% APR refers to?
This is an example to allow you to compare this card to others. The example is required by regulation, you will find the same GBP 1200 example used in ads for all UK-issued cards from all issuers. Are you a UK resident?
origin and Gasolin like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

ok thank you all! So the fee is 0 for the first year but what about the next ones?
Also, I understand I receive 5000 avios bonus with the card + 1 mile for each £ spent? Where I can see the explanation?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express issues two BA credit cards in the UK.

This card is free. There is no annual fee in any year:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...rwaysAmexCC-fc

The Premium card is not free. The annual fee is GBP195 each year:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...sPremiumPlusCC
Old May 22, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok thank you all! So the fee is 0 for the first year but what about the next ones?
Also, I understand I receive 5000 avios bonus with the card + 1 mile for each £ spent? Where I can see the explanation?
As far as I recall and depending on your own circumstances. You can set up a direct debit for the minimum payment on the credit card, or all the balance and therefore clear the card, each month not paying interest.

Have you got a credit history in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.