Why Does Amex insist on a metal Platinum Card?

Old May 6, 19, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Why Does Amex insist on a metal Platinum Card?

I pay a lot of money for the card - so why won't they send me a plastic card if I want it? The metal card is a pain as it is the only metal in my wallet which means I need to take it out when going through metal detectors, which is a pain.

Frankly, I don't get why they even bother with metal cards - perhaps some insecure people think they are more important if they have a metal card.
notquiteaff and milski like this.
Old May 6, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
I didn't even think of the metal detector because my wallet is always out no matter what... but I suppose AMEX may only have a metal version of the card. Maybe you can ask for the green card instead, even though the card is platinum, so that it can be plastic.
m.photog and zzm like this.
Old May 6, 19, 6:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
I don't think the Amex Plat will trigger the metal detector by itself. I often have my wallet in my pocket with the card and it doesn't alarm. Now if I have my Ritz card or multiple metal cards in my wallet then I'll be on the side of caution and put my wallet in my bag. Though tbh it's really not that much of a hassle since I need to put my cell phone in anyway, so just do both at once.
Old May 6, 19, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I don't think the Amex Plat will trigger the metal detector by itself. I often have my wallet in my pocket with the card and it doesn't alarm. Now if I have my Ritz card or multiple metal cards in my wallet then I'll be on the side of caution and put my wallet in my bag. Though tbh it's really not that much of a hassle since I need to put my cell phone in anyway, so just do both at once.
I assume you are talking about TSA - I wasn't. The metal detectors in many courthouses are more sensitive than the TSA - in my experience.
Old May 6, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
which means I need to take it out when going through metal detectors
Do you? I never have in some 18 months.
jhartvu and mikesyr18 like this.
Old May 6, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
The metal detectors in many courthouses are more sensitive than the TSA - in my experience.
Every courthouse I've been in recently wants wallets in the dish anyway.
greg99, Dambus, trouble747 and 2 others like this.
Old May 6, 19, 7:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
.... why won't they send me a plastic card.....
One reason is that they have committed to reduce use of conventional plastics, and metal is the only alternative that is ready to use today:

“We are currently undergoing research to identify the optimal sustainable materials to use in larger-scale card production,” AmEx spokeswoman Charlotte Fuller said in an e-mail. “This research and testing is something we do with every new card product – things like testing the card durability and ensuring the card works at all merchant terminals.”

Fuller did not provide details on the new card’s branding, or what kinds of rewards or perks it might offer. She said American Express would continue to issue cards made of titanium and stainless steel, which are recyclable. But AmEx cards made purely of non-recovered plastic are evidently on the way out.
Read more here:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...astic-card.php

Last edited by mia; May 6, 19 at 7:28 pm
Old May 6, 19, 7:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Let's look at it this way:
It never make sense for you to put daily spending on the platinum card, since there are way better alternatives like Amex Gold and Amex Everyday, and these alts includes non-annual fee cards

Thus it is not necessary for you to put your Platinum card in your wallet and carry it with you everywhere.
So it seems like the easiest remedy to your situation is to keep your platinum card at home and not carrying it around

Also shouldn't you take you wallet out when you go through a metal detector anyway?
mikesyr18 likes this.

Last edited by dpy940307; May 6, 19 at 7:40 pm
Old May 6, 19, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The metal detectors in many courthouses are more sensitive than the TSA - in my experience.
Your shoes, watch, and belt will all set those off, regardless whether you have a Plat card in your wallet.
Old May 6, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Then donít get it, there are a lot of other cards. This is what you choose to complain about?
Schweden and mikesyr18 like this.
Old May 6, 19, 9:13 pm

You can get a plastic card if you are creative. But the entire basis of Platinum Amex cards is aspirational marketing. 90% of the people aspire what amex advertises.
Old May 6, 19, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have complained several times about the metal card because it slips out of my wallet. The embossed numbers on plastic cards create some friction to keep it in place. I can't tell you how many times I have found my Amex on the floor after using my wallet. I finally put a piece of duct tape on one end to try and create a little more "stick"
Old May 6, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dpy940307 View Post
Let's look at it this way:
It never make sense for you to put daily spending on the platinum card, since there are way better alternatives like Amex Gold and Amex Everyday, and these alts includes non-annual fee cards

Thus it is not necessary for you to put your Platinum card in your wallet and carry it with you everywhere.
So it seems like the easiest remedy to your situation is to keep your platinum card at home and not carrying it around
If you leave the Plat card at home, how do you get into the Centurion lounges?
Old May 6, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Every courthouse I've been in recently wants wallets in the dish anyway.
The courthouse where my office is located does not have metal detectors, at least not yet. Another Courthouse I visit occasionally has metal detectors that look like TSA surplus.
Old May 6, 19, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
If you leave the Plat card at home, how do you get into the Centurion lounges?

There is no Centurion lounge at the courthouse, LOL, and that was he talking about. He is not complaining about the TSA at the airport.

Search this Thread