Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Possible to get AMEX to redirect card to another address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I just applied for and was approved for a new AMEX card. The bad part is that I don't think I'll get the card before I fly off to New Orleans. AMEX said they'll rush it, but it's scheduled to arrive on my day of departure. The rep said for security reasons it can't be done. I was hoping to put my spending on the card, but if I don't have it, then that's a lost opportunity. I'm not new to AMEX so I'm not sure why they can't be more accomodating. Has anyone here ever got AMEX to redirect a card to a hotel?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just applied for and was approved for a new AMEX card. The bad part is that I don't think I'll get the card before I fly off to New Orleans. AMEX said they'll rush it, but it's scheduled to arrive on my day of departure. The rep said for security reasons it can't be done. I was hoping to put my spending on the card, but if I don't have it, then that's a lost opportunity. I'm not new to AMEX so I'm not sure why they can't be more accomodating. Has anyone here ever got AMEX to redirect a card to a hotel?
They'll do it after it's been 10 days after the delivery of the original card.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa
They'll do it after it's been 10 days after the delivery of the original card.
Aw man. That's terrible, but good to know. Will they mail anywhere in the world?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Delivery of USA-issued cards to international address.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:11 pm

This may not get you all the spend you wanted to put on the card, but in the past I've been able to call the hotel (day after checkout) where I had just finished a stay to have them put the charges on a card different from the one I used. I believe it was a situation where put down a corporate card at check in, but later had to put the charges on my personal card (legit reasons for the change as this turned into a personal expense - not a points seeking endeavor). The hotel did it (I believe it was a Westin in NYC) without hesitation; I just said that I used the wrong card and they said yes right away so I didn't even have to give them a story. Again, it's definitely not your whole spend, but worth a shot to at least get some of it on the card when you get back (if the card is waiting for you).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Can you get a trusted relative or friend to get the card from your mailbox at home and overnight it to you at your hotel in New Orleans?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Can you get a trusted relative or friend to get the card from your mailbox at home and overnight it to you at your hotel in New Orleans?
But that's going to cost me money...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
But that's going to cost me money...
It's $15 to overnight an express mail envelops via USPS, and they even deliver on Sundays. Is the benefit of putting the spend on this new card worth at least $15?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes they can. I did receive it at hotel.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
New card application - delivering to an international address

I’m looking at applying for a new Bonvoy business credit card. I’m usually based in the US, and would use my permanent US address for the application, but I would like for the card to be sent to my current place of residence (a hotel in Brazil).

Does anyone have experience of getting AmEx to send a newly issued card to an international address? If they’re unwilling/unable to do it then I would just hold off on my application. I’d prefer to apply and get the card right now given some pretty large Marriott spends within the next few weeks.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:49 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not think any CC bank would want to deliver a newly applied card to a foreign hotel. Very fishy to say the least.

Most probably do not even deliver replacement card to new address not on file.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:29 am
Suspended

I suggest you have your friends or family in the U.S. send it to you, via certified mail or Fedex or DHL.

Last edited by Mama; May 1, 2021 at 10:03 am
Old May 1, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not think any CC bank would want to deliver a newly applied card to a foreign hotel. Very fishy to say the least.

Most probably do not even deliver replacement card to new address not on file.
Ive had replacement cards delivered to new addresses without issue (including foreign hotels - which isn’t that unusual when you consider that people used to travel a lot and it wasn’t all that uncommon to lose purses/wallets/handbags/credit cards while away).

I guess I’ll just have it delivered to my US address and then get a replacement issued a few weeks later to my current residence.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Ive had replacement cards delivered to new addresses without issue (including foreign hotels - which isn’t that unusual when you consider that people used to travel a lot and it wasn’t all that uncommon to lose purses/wallets/handbags/credit cards while away).

I guess I’ll just have it delivered to my US address and then get a replacement issued a few weeks later to my current residence.
You need to activate a new card before requesting a replacement card.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This is one of the reasons I returned to US recently. Have 2-3 new cards on the radar, using the same cards I have would be huge opportunity costs (sign-on bonuses + ongoing annual/anniversary bonuses + benefits) given the $$ I'll have to spend. AFAIK banks can only mail to outside US for replacement cards, Chase even offers this option in their official verbiage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.