Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delivery of USA-issued cards to international address.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

Quick update for all non-US residents interested in US cards: Once 10 days have passed (not sure if since they mailed out the card or since it’s been delivered), you can call Amex and they will mail out a replacement card with express delivery to an address of your choosing, globally, for free.
So you don’t necessarily have to pay for mail forwarding. ;-)
Nagasaki Joe and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Quick update for all non-US residents interested in US cards: Once 10 days have passed (not sure if since they mailed out the card or since it’s been delivered), you can call Amex and they will mail out a replacement card with express delivery to an address of your choosing, globally, for free.
Can non-US residents apply and get approved with US Amex though? Or you refer to US citizens not living in US?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand...is this for US cards, or simply delivery of non-US cards?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Can non-US residents apply and get approved with US Amex though? Or you refer to US citizens not living in US?
Guess what this whole thread is about.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't understand...is this for US cards, or simply delivery of non-US cards?
Delivery of US cards abroad.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So nothing to do with Global Transfer...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

If you live in the UK (for example) and you apply for a US credit card through Global Transfer, but you don’t live in the US, you would usually use a mail forwarding service (or have a friend mail you the card).
However, it’s quite pricey to have the card mailed to Europe, it’s usually 45$ or so and it will take some time.

Instead, you can wait 2 weeks, call Amex and ask them to send you a replacement card to Europe (or wherever you live).
They will mail it to you with express delivery free of charge.
I would say that’s very much related to Global Transfer.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:19 pm

Can I request -NEW- amex platinum card to be sent abroad?

I'm traveling outside of the U.S. ATM and will remain so for at least another 2-3 months. I'm planning to apply for an Amex Platinum for some upcoming expenses and lounge access. Does anyone know if Amex would send a newly approved platinum card outside of the U.S.? I've searched everywhere but couldn't find any DP for this. Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:49 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by xun911
I'm traveling outside of the U.S. ATM and will remain so for at least another 2-3 months. I'm planning to apply for an Amex Platinum for some upcoming expenses and lounge access. Does anyone know if Amex would send a newly approved platinum card outside of the U.S.? I've searched everywhere but couldn't find any DP for this. Thanks!
Yes, but you need to wait 10-14 days from the date it was sent to the U.S. address you provided. Then you can request a new card to be sent abroad. Stupid? Yes....
xun911 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Have you actually tested this out and received a card this way? I just had my card sent today by my mail forwarding service at a cost of $72 for 3-day delivery. I wish I'd known about this 1-day earlier. My bad for not seeing your post earlier.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 17, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Have you actually tested this out and received a card this way? I just had my card sent today by my mail forwarding service at a cost of $72 for 3-day delivery. I wish I'd known about this 1-day earlier. My bad for not seeing your post earlier.
Yes, I keep doing that all the time as I live outside the US. Ordered the card on... I think it was Thursday, scheduled delivery in Germany (where I am visiting family for XMas) is Monday. Completely free with FedEx.
Nagasaki Joe and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:53 am

Yes, I keep doing that all the time as I live outside the US. Ordered the card on... I think it was Thursday, scheduled delivery in Germany (where I am visiting family for XMas) is Monday. Completely free with FedEx.
Did you also have to wait for 14 days before requesting the card to be sent abroad? I could wait but I would rather not if there was a quicker way. I have done something similar with CSR when I lost it during my travel at an airport. Chase sent the replacement through FedEx in 2 days. But this is not quite the same. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, you have to wait those 10 or 14 days or what it is. It’s a security measure. I know that know, so I don’t even bother to call during the first two weeks.
Chase on the other hand will be happy to send even the original card overseas, as soon as you have been approved. You don’t even have to order a replacement card.
xun911 and prgboy like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Yes, you have to wait those 10 or 14 days or what it is. It’s a security measure. I know that know, so I don’t even bother to call during the first two weeks.
Chase on the other hand will be happy to send even the original card overseas, as soon as you have been approved. You don’t even have to order a replacement card.
With its strict security measures, I doubt that Capital One would send anything to you abroad ever. They seem much more domestic-oriented.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:08 am

I have tried several times it seems to be hard-coded into the amex system that they can only issue a replacement card once every 10 calendar days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.