Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

• Metal card
  • 3 MR/$ on dining, 2 MR on travel & 1 MR on everything else
  • Annual fee $699
  • Additional Cards $175 annually for Platinum Cards, $50 annually for Gold Cards
Print Wikipost

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
So is the SPG Gold Benefit supposed to be Bonvoy Gold or is AMEX not very good at proofreading and figuring out the hotel benefits they offer?

For me, since the loss of the Fairmont Platinum benefits, paying net $499 a year for maybe using Hilton Gold, Lounge Access (which is free with lots of other lower fee cards), and now 1 extra MR for dining (versus Amex Gold or worse vs Cobalt) this card is totally useless... or am I missing something?

Come on Amex you need to step up your game
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Multiple posts on Reddit of people being told the 2x/3x applies effective today, but the 1x only applies beginning June 25th, for existing cardholders. Also 1 DP on Reddit to that effect.
Thanks - fingers crossed
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:30 pm

Much ado about nothing

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I just called in and they won't be automatically issuing the new metal cards right away - they will be send them out on your renewal date. My existing plat card was in atrocious shape so I just requested one be sent out immediately. With the new earning thresholds, it makes my use of the gold and cobalt cards redundant so I guess I will be cancelling those.
wouldnt be so quick to cancel gold or cobalt. Cobalt has a better earn rate on dining/groceries/transit, compared to new plat. Gold is the same 2x earning for travel, with much lower AF.
https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...ard-in-canada/
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:24 pm

I called to have mine sent out. Question -- some people mentioned not wanting the last 4 digits of the card to change. Is there a reason why other than having to update automatic charges? Tbh I just logged in and my last 4 digits chaged to 5000 for the metal card and that is definitely easier to remember than what it previously was Now that the metal platinum card is launched, Amex will be focusing on a refresh to the Centurion product which I am excited about (a friend who works at Aexp Canada told me that).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by theultimate
I called to have mine sent out. Question -- some people mentioned not wanting the last 4 digits of the card to change. Is there a reason why other than having to update automatic charges? Tbh I just logged in and my last 4 digits chaged to 5000 for the metal card and that is definitely easier to remember than what it previously was Now that the metal platinum card is launched, Amex will be focusing on a refresh to the Centurion product which I am excited about (a friend who works at Aexp Canada told me that).
changing the auto payments is my only reason.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K, *G
Just requested via telephone and the customer service was very nice. Also got selected to apply for Essentials card and was told it'll only be a soft check on the credit bureau so I was like "sure!"
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleworld
for maybe using Hilton Gold, Lounge Access (which is free with lots of other lower fee cards),
Are there other cards in Canada that give Hilton gold status? Which ones?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:54 am

Well this is just... meh. Without getting rid of the 2.5% forex charge, or adding MR transfer partners, or replacing the Fairmont benefit, this card just continues its slide to complete irrelevance.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by theultimate
Question -- some people mentioned not wanting the last 4 digits of the card to change. Is there a reason why other than having to update automatic charges? Tbh I just logged in and my last 4 digits chaged to 5000 for the metal card and that is definitely easier to remember than what it previously was .
It's just a pain if you have a lot of automatic bill payments set up.
canolakid likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
Are there other cards in Canada that give Hilton gold status? Which ones?
None that I'm aware of.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by Vasco
Well this is just... meh. Without getting rid of the 2.5% forex charge, or adding MR transfer partners, or replacing the Fairmont benefit, this card just continues its slide to complete irrelevance.
Agreed. Was hoping for either forex removal or a new transfer partner or two that would make the value of the MR better. Adding transfer partners is likely the least costly option for amex amex compared to "increasing benefits" that have a defined cost. The dofferendi between US and Canadian amex partners is staggering.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Much ado about nothing
While not overly exciting, the refresh means an extra 26% MR miles for me personally based on the 2018 year end summary with no changes to my spending patterns. I'll direct my dining spending to this card moving forward, and that'll mean an even bigger bump.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Overall, I think this works out well for me. I can cancel the Gold card, shifting travel spending to Platinum and grocery/gas/drugs to my CIBC AeroGold for 1.5x per $. Disappointed to lost the 1.25x on other stuff, but the 3x on dining probably outweighs it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by ibling

wouldnt be so quick to cancel gold or cobalt. Cobalt has a better earn rate on dining/groceries/transit, compared to new plat. Gold is the same 2x earning for travel, with much lower AF.
https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...ard-in-canada/
My reasoning for cancelling the Gold is that given I already have the Plat card and don't plan on cancelling it, then it is redundant with the exception of groceries/gas, however most of the grocery shopping is done at Superstore/Loblaws which doesn't take Amex and gas is an insignificant expense for me. Both of these spends can be done at 1.5X on my TD infinite Visa. As for Cobalt, while I do agree it is a better rate for transferring to Marriott @5X spend (which isn't all that great to begin with) than the Plat, there are more transfer partners. I would never consider transferring Amex to Marriott given its poor 5:6 transfer value unless I had a desperate need for a quick points top up. I guess you could always transfer MR->Marriott->Aeroplan, but that would only yield 2.5:1 vs the Plat offering of 3:1 on dining.

Although I haven't crunched the numbers, I think I will come up definitely ahead given my significant travel/dining spend.

Last edited by habshabs444; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.