Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

• Metal card
  • 3 MR/$ on dining, 2 MR on travel & 1 MR on everything else
  • Annual fee $699
  • Additional Cards $175 annually for Platinum Cards, $50 annually for Gold Cards
Print Wikipost

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Amex accepted my proposed resolution to the timing change of the $200 annual credit. Now the change in earnings to digest!
What happened?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:45 pm

So even if we wait for our renewal to get the metal card, will the last 4 digits still change or is this only for eager people who wants the metal card ASAP?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
So even if we wait for our renewal to get the metal card, will the last 4 digits still change or is this only for eager people who wants the metal card ASAP?
eager
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:48 am

Just adding a data point here: despite the changes supposedly having already gone into effect, my restaurant spending is still earning at 1.25 points per C$, instead of the supposed 3 points per C$. I'm not bothering to call Amex to quibble over a few hundred points, but I was under the impression the changes went into effect March 1st - seems not to be the case on my card.

(Haven't used it for anything else to know if any of the other changes have gone into effect. Have only used it in restaurants since March 1st.)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco
Just adding a data point here: despite the changes supposedly having already gone into effect, my restaurant spending is still earning at 1.25 points per C$, instead of the supposed 3 points per C$. I'm not bothering to call Amex to quibble over a few hundred points, but I was under the impression the changes went into effect March 1st - seems not to be the case on my card.

(Haven't used it for anything else to know if any of the other changes have gone into effect. Have only used it in restaurants since March 1st.)
My restaurant spending is earning 3x since late-February. Everything else is still earning 1.25 (the letter I got mentioned that it will earn 1.25 until sometime in June, when it will go down to 1x).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
A regular renewal at "valid thru" date shouldn't cause a card number change. Replacement of a not-yet-expired card will.
mia and Clipper801 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Low Roller
My restaurant spending is earning 3x since late-February. Everything else is still earning 1.25 .
Same here. First 3X restaurant points for me is Feb 19.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Marriott Bonvoy Status

Just made my first reservation at a Marriott since the refresh, and noticed that I have Silver Elite status. I thought we were supposed to get Gold. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by antirealist
Just made my first reservation at a Marriott since the refresh, and noticed that I have Silver Elite status. I thought we were supposed to get Gold. Anyone else have this issue?
you automatically get silver with the card.
you get 15 nights credit leaving only 10 to reach gold.
you get gold with $30k spend in a year.
it's all on the amex website.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....have Silver Elite status. I thought we were supposed to get Gold...
Originally Posted by BenSenise
you automatically get silver with the card.
I think antirealist is asking about the Canadian Platinum charge card, which does include Bonvoy Gold status, and BenSenise is describing the Bonvoy co-branded credit card.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I think antirealist is asking about the Canadian Platinum charge card, which does include Bonvoy Gold status, and BenSenise is describing the Bonvoy co-branded credit card.
ah, you're probably right. i assumed
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Mine is showing Gold
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Decided to get my metal card, just because I'm curious, esp I'm still contemplating on renewing my card later.
That being said not planning to activate it till later, as what other said last 4 digit changed, confirmed with AMEX if you get it during your renewal period last 4 digits won't change. Mine isn't till couple of years...

Needless to say your wallet will be much heavier. I wonder if it will set off the alarm at the metal sector in the airport.

Plastic is about 5g

Metal is about 18g
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Watch out for refunded items and the MR points taken back

Came across an interesting wrinkle in the new credits program. Last year I purchased two awards, one with AC and the other with AS, to lock in positioning flights for that CX F New Years Eve deal. Recent deals in J and PE flights made it more beneficial to book revenue tickets, even factoring in the cost of redepositing the miles in each program. And I did get 2x MR points for each cancellation and redeposit. However, I also had two reversals of the refundable taxes and fees. And while I only earned 1 MR point per $ spent last year, when the credits went through this week, my account was dinged 2x MR points. I understand this would rightly be the case were the tickets issued and paid for after the change last month, but not sure about being penalized now. I do plan to call Amex to plead my case though it only involves 65 MR points. However, had the awards been with airlines where the copays are in the hundreds, this would be even more significant.

So just as a heads up for anyone doing any refunds of items/tickets paid for before mid-February, you may want to appeal.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Low Roller
My restaurant spending is earning 3x since late-February. Everything else is still earning 1.25 (the letter I got mentioned that it will earn 1.25 until sometime in June, when it will go down to 1x).
Restaurants 3x since mid-February, as with 2x for other travel related expenses. All other expenses remain at 1.25 per $1 until June when they go down to 1 point per $1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.