Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

I am curious to find out why I have not received an invitation to get an Amex Centurion card. Any thoughts?

Background:
-Amex card holder since 2006
-$3m or so a year spend on my personal platinum card (but still mainly for biz expenses) for last 5 years
-$10m in total business spend over the last year on biz platinum, with recent spend about $2m/month
-Over 15m membership rewards points in current balance
->$1m annual income
-$5m in my Amex savings account (not business account, my personal money; historically around $2m and recently increased)
I called in a couple years ago and asked to get on the list as I was interested, but never heard back. Just for fun I called in and said I would cancel my account if they didn't upgrade me, and they still didn't budge. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to luxury expenses, so probably don't match the spend profile of most people in my income bracket, but other than that I figure I would be right in the sweet spot.

Last edited by wtsuppr415; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:57 pm Reason: adding clarification
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can’t help you, but I can see that I have no chance ever if you don’t get it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:31 pm

Have you ever paid late? Do you have a perfect payment history?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I wouldn’t keep $5m in a single savings account, even with Amex (way beyond the FDIC limit, and you can get more interest elsewhere), but that’s beyond the question.
af fp, United747, lax01 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I can't answer your question but I wonder why you even care. With the amount of wealth you've accumulated and your cash flow, you have opportunities about which most can only dream. Who cares whether AMEX wants to grant you an overpriced credit card?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I can't answer your question but I wonder why you even care. With the amount of wealth you've accumulated and your cash flow, you have opportunities about which most can only dream. Who cares whether AMEX wants to grant you an overpriced credit card?
My sentiments exactly.... something sounds a bit fishy here.
manually likes this.

Last edited by david55; Nov 26, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
But he has to flaunt his wealth *somehow*, you know...
Originally Posted by david55
My sentiments exactly.... something sounds a bit fishy here.
I find it unusual that someone with that level of income would care about a measly 6,000 airline miles or get worked up over a $100 gas rebate card just a few years ago.
(I realize that those threads are old, but it’s probably pretty uncommon to go from desperately trying to score an additional $100 rebate card to having $5M in a savings account ten years later.)
SoonerRed, hi55us and RedSun like this.

Last edited by GFrye; Nov 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Money in the savings account and business spending won’t help for the centurion invitation. It’s all based on personal spending structure on luxury things like travel, collections, shopping... if you are cheap, then no matter how much money you have, you are cheap. It’s not what Amex is looking for apparently.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvoldemort
Money in the savings account and business spending won’t help for the centurion invitation. It’s all based on personal spending structure on luxury things like travel, collections, shopping... if you are cheap, then no matter how much money you have, you are cheap. It’s not what Amex is looking for apparently.
And if you're spending a lot on that kind of stuff, hopefully you're doing so on a better card than any Amex.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I wouldn’t keep $5m in a single savings account, even with Amex (way beyond the FDIC limit, and you can get more interest elsewhere), but that’s beyond the question.
More interest elsewhere? Like 2% vs 1.98?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tomvoldemort
.... business spending won’t help for the centurion invitation. ....
It is relevant for Business Centurion.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Easily one of the saddest posts I've ever seen...
entropy, nnn, SwissCircle and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
This is such a strange post. But I envy the 15m points that could be used for I don't know how many travels... though in fact, if I have that kind of money, I wouldn't even spend the MR on point, I would pay for tickets and just spend the MR somewhere else where there is less black outs.

As some said, I will never get the Centurion probably but I am fine with that ^^.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Why would you put $5mil on Amex savings which is only insured up to $250,000?

Maybe that's why I am not rich.

But I can at least dream right?

Last edited by samwise6222; Nov 27, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I suspect they analyse the spend category as much as the spend amount in these cases. Also the spend amount is not much given this is a business account. The threshold for business accounts are a lot more compared to personal accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.