Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
It doesnt matter how much you spend or what you spend it on. Amex only adds 25 new members per year and they are really looking to high profile people. I'm glad I got in 14 years ago when it was a simple spend issue.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by globalmogul
It doesnt matter how much you spend or what you spend it on. Amex only adds 25 new members per year and they are really looking to high profile people. I'm glad I got in 14 years ago when it was a simple spend issue.
I very much doubt this is the case - I got added in 2016 as a US Centurion customer, and I'm certainly not a celebrity or high profile person; nor am I spending a $1m+ a year let alone a month.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
I very much doubt this is the case - I got added in 2016 as a US Centurion customer, and I'm certainly not a celebrity or high profile person; nor am I spending a $1m+ a year let alone a month.
Agreed. I know two people with Cents. If there were only 25/year going out, these guys wouldn't make the cut, nor is there any chance I'd know two of the guys from such a limited pool.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

IMHO Just looking at the financial part of the OP‘s post, I think the OP should consider a professional consulting in wealth management.
As he hasn’t mentioned having children, family office advise is probably not needed.
There are some very good advisors out there, who can help you doing much better with your assets.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depends, as many focus on publicly traded, and charge a lot

OP didnt specify how much tax they were paying (if not just income tax)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:56 am

I wonder what your credit score is? Could be too low despite the numbers above.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
depends, as many focus on publicly traded, and charge a lot

OP didnt specify how much tax they were paying (if not just income tax)
yeah, that’s right.
You would probably want one that knows more than just the standard and offers different management/advice schemes...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious what the business owners on FT do, in terms of when buying and selling other businesses

hopefully they have some good stuff in the area targeting silicon valley but i am picturing a lot of not good stuff as well

sometimes tax people may be better than 'investment' people
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Beyond the obvious pat on the back for the OP's ego, what benefits is the OP looking for that Centurion offers that they're not getting today?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Bfhause
Beyond the obvious pat on the back for the OP's ego, what benefits is the OP looking for that Centurion offers that they're not getting today?
See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30476242-post45.html
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from linked post >

Originally Posted by wtsuppr415
Centurion card AFAIK still has the 50% rebate on point travel for first/biz class tickets or any class on your designated airline. I spend at least 1-2 million points a year on travel. Platinum only has a 35% rebate. That means I will be getting back an extra 150-300k points over my Platinum card.
many on this forum talk about using that, instead of cashback, as it comes close

re delta, can get diamond and more if spending $75k per year on commercial flights
deltaprivatejets.com/program/jet-card
and some said their service was great for booking commercial flights, including in terms of getting upgraded etc
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

As an update to this thread, I do now have a Centurion card. The process was quite simple, but someone who saw my original post here got the ball rolling (thanks - you know who you are!).

Some notes if anyone is curious:

-I was sponsored for the card through one of their sales directors. They are tasked with getting new spend on accounts, and I was just slowly increasing spend over time, so there wasn't really a reason for them to hound me. In hindsight, many of them had actually sent me notes introducing themselves, but I ignored them as spam marketing emails. So, I probably could have had the card years ago if I just talked to one of them -I didn't realize they were different than the people who you talk to on their support line.

-As mentioned in previous posts, I don't spend much on luxury items, so that is probably why I never received an invite when the spending was on my personal card.

-The setup was very unceremonious in that I didn't get some secret sounding cool invitation. They said I was approved for a card and the area rep just gave me a number to call and an account to reference. From there though the customer support was amazing. Just a single ring and someone answered, no menus, clearly one of their top reps. I am, however, out of the country for the moment and my EA said a package came from Amex so I am guessing they sent me something cool post-setup.

-The benefits are largely what have been advertised. They did, however, tell me about something called Hertz Platinum which I hadn't seen before. Apparently, if I want a rental car I can literally get it dropped off at my hotel or office, and if I get something at the airport they will pick me up from the gate. I usually have a driver pick me up for work trips, but this will be quite a nice perk when I am with the wife and kids.

-Some of the previous snide comments on this thread made the claim that the only reason to get the card was ego (and yes, you are right, I got my gold star, I won my cheesy video game...I am a human just like you), but the perk of 50% points back on flights vs 35% or whatever it is on platinum is real. Given I am spending millions of miles a year on flights, this 15% delta in the points rebate alone will cover the entire cost differential. As an added bonus the rebate is for all airlines and all classes vs platinum where non-biz/first would only give you the rebate on an airline of your choice. I usually fly coach with the family (I'm cheap + don't want my kids to think things just fall in their lap), so I will now get 50% back vs 0% on some flights. So, the card pays for itself with this simple algebra.

-They let you access the benefits through what I consider a tacky/garish Centurion page. It is just a veneer over the regular site, and often times when you click in to a menu it just brings you to the regular interface. That certainly plays into the all flash, no substance reputation. Here is a screenshot (note the 50% Airline Bonus, which essentially makes everything else a "why not" freebie for me).
ubiquitous1984 and Milwaukee like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:08 pm
formerly atomicfront

You wont get it as you want it so badly to feel like you belong with the rich and privileged. They want people who dont care whether they have it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
but the perk of 50% points back on flights vs 35% or whatever it is on platinum is real. As an added bonus the rebate is for all airlines and all classes vs platinum where non-biz/first would only give you the rebate on an airline of your choice.
Awesome! Congrats on finally getting hooked up. Also fun to read the "secret details" of approval!

Quick point of correction: Platinum receives 35% rebate of ALL/ANY first or business tickets, NOT restricted to chosen carrier. The only difference for the chosen carrier is you get the 35% on any class of ticket. So, that is an important distinction to be aware of. This is all documented in publicly accessible T&C's, and I know it from personal experience.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Hertz Platinum ....
Discussion here:

A Centurion exclusive — complimentary Hertz Platinum Status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.