Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about Amex online accounts and Membership Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Hi all -

Long time lurker, first time poster with a question I haven't been able to find information about.

Background:

I have had a personal SPG Amex for quite some time, and I have an Amex online account I use to manage it. Several years ago I signed up for the Amex Platinum Business card to make purchases on behalf of my employer. Because the bills are actually paid directly by my employer, I need to share the credentials to this online account with our accounting department. (I realize there is a better way to do this with an authorized account rep, but my accounting department has been reluctant to do it this way, even though it seems like the *right* way to do it). So, I use a different Amex online account for this card. I have a substantial number of MR points in this account, which are mine to do with as I please. Recently there have been some rumors that we may switch from Amex to a different business card for the company. I obviously want to keep my MR points even if this happens. I just signed up for the personal Amex Gold rewards card both for the bonuses and to ensure I have continued access to the MR program and my accumulated points.

My question:

Should I add this card online to my existing personal Amex online account or the business one? I've read that MR points are not associated with a particular credit card account but with a person, and so they *should* automatically pool between all my MR cards. But it's not clear to me how this works if the cards are part of different Amex online accounts - like I sign in with different usernames and passwords even though they are both in my name. (This was never an issue previously because the SPG Amex doesn't accumulate MR points.) If I add the new card to the personal online account, will I have access to the same MR balance in both accounts? Will they both contribute to the pool? Or will these stay separate? I'm not *super* concerned about having a personal card linked on my business profile, but out of an abundance of caution I'd prefer to keep it entirely separate. But I also want to make sure I don't lose access to my MR stash if/when my company moves away from Amex and closes the Platinum account.

Anyone have experience with a similar situation or know how this works when there are both multiple cards *and* multiple Amex online accounts?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:26 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by electronym
.... ....not clear to me how this works if the cards are part of different Amex online accounts....
It works because American Express knows who you are without regard to the UserID's that you create to group your cards. I use one UserID for personal cards, another for Business, and they both link to the identical Membership Rewards account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.