Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Travel (USA) inaccurate or incomplete ticketing reports [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Travel (USA) inaccurate or incomplete ticketing reports [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
.......My advice: Don't ever book an airline ticket through Amex Travel online.
I concur!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just to reiterate what someone else noted:

Orbitz is Expedia. So is Hotwire, Travelocity, and Trivago.

There are really only two online travel companies now: Expedia and Booking (formerly Priceline). Expedia seems to have cornered the market in being the preferred contractor for these credit card companies. Their CS is almost as bad as the Hilton Price Match Guarantee squad.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:46 pm

AmEx Travel Issue (transaction not ticketed)

Friends of mine were booked on a TPA-LGW-JNB//CPT-LGW-TPA itinerary departing this evening utilizing MR points to book cash fares via AmEx travel. They had Confirmation numbers, assigned seats, everything but a boarding pass. Get to the airport and are told their itinerary was never completely ticketed and they need to contact AmEx travel. Spend 30 minutes on hold with AmEx travel before they finally get someone on the phone, but by then it’s too late and they’re missing their flight.

Spend the next three hours on the phone with AmEx travel to no avail trying to get a decent routing that doesn’t eat up multiple days of their trip before finally deciding to book an $800 cash fare on B6/SA TPA-JFK-JNB tomorrow morning. Lucky for them the fare mysteriously plummeted in price from $3000 to $800 around 9:30PM.

Now they’re trying to work with AmEx travel to get the return flight “reinstated”. Does anyone have insight into likely outcomes here? I haven’t spoken with them on the phone to determine whether or not AmEx is taking responsibility for the issue. Based on my understanding of ticketing, I’m struggling to come up with a scenario where AmEx honors the flight home if they aren’t utilizing an AmEx ticket on the outbound. Seems like they’re going to get a refund at best and be stuck buying a close-in one-way home. Anyone have insight they can provide on how this might be handled?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:59 pm

Was the primary cardholder also one of the passengers ticketed for the flight itinerary?

Whom are they speaking with on the phone for 3 hours that can't get a manager or floor supervisor on the phone to find an answer?

Generally anytime I book an itinerary through amex travel, be it hotel or flight (using MR), they will immediately debit the cash value from the card, then proceed to process the points equivalent and give statement credits within 24-48 hours. So that is typically a paper trail I look for, and confirmation numbers are furnished in email virtually immediately.

If the cardholder has email proof of the confirmation number (print out/digital), or a valid confirmation number inside AMEX's system, It would be pretty difficult for them not to accept responsibility, unless I am missing something.

Entire thing sounds like a massive nightmare, wish them luck.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds to me like they had a reservation but the ticket was never issued. The key question is whether there ever was a ticket receipt showing a ticket number, not just some confirmation number. If they had tried to do OLCI (ideally well before going to the airport) but weren't able to get boarding passes, this should be a red flag that someone needed to call AmEx travel and/or the airline ASAP.

BTW, what part of AmEx Travel was used? I've never had such a long wait to reach PTS by phone and the agents usually seem very competent.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First question is whether your friends each had an e-ticket number. Not a confirmation or itinerary, but an e-ticket. If they have an Amex confirmation # and not an e-ticket, then it really is on Amex to get them home. Whether Amex does that by using its back channels to get the original reservation reinstated and at the price it would have paid or by some other means is not your friends' concern.

Getting all of this done is going to take a lot of time, patience and Skype.

Any chance that $800 fare is available on the way back? If so, might seem to be a great deal and might be an outstanding result.

For the benefit of others, always check that you have e-tickets with a 17-digit e-ticket number covering all segments of the itinerary. It takes about 30 seconds to review what typically arrives via email or which can be pulled up online from the ticketing carrier. Never rely on any other document as it is the e-ticket which the carrier uses to get paid.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds to me like they had a reservation but the ticket was never issued. The key question is whether there ever was a ticket receipt showing a ticket number, not just some confirmation number. If they had tried to do OLCI (ideally well before going to the airport) but weren't able to get boarding passes, this should be a red flag that someone needed to call AmEx travel and/or the airline ASAP.

BTW, what part of AmEx Travel was used? I've never had such a long wait to reach PTS by phone and the agents usually seem very competent.
My experience with them is you have to watch like a hawk to make sure it gets ticketed. I experience problems in about 5% of flights booked with them where ticketing gets hung up (with no warning) and you have to call to get it unstuck. Almost always the ones with ticketing problems are not simple round trips, just like the original poster.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by emcnj
Was the primary cardholder also one of the passengers ticketed for the flight itinerary?

Yes

Whom are they speaking with on the phone for 3 hours that can't get a manager or floor supervisor on the phone to find an answer?

it’s my understanding managers were involved, but the information BA was giving AmEx made things worse. BA apparently marked them as “No Shows” on the flight so AmEx was treating them as passengers who simply missed their flights even though they were at the check-in counter well before cutoff.

Generally anytime I book an itinerary through amex travel, be it hotel or flight (using MR), they will immediately debit the cash value from the card, then proceed to process the points equivalent and give statement credits within 24-48 hours. So that is typically a paper trail I look for, and confirmation numbers are furnished in email virtually immediately.

If the cardholder has email proof of the confirmation number (print out/digital), or a valid confirmation number inside AMEX's system, It would be pretty difficult for them not to accept responsibility, unless I am missing something.

Agreed. It seems the part that’s really gumming it up is this business of being marked as “no shows”.

Entire thing sounds like a massive nightmare, wish them luck.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I’m pretty neurotic about my flights, but if I had a seat I wouldn’t have panicked over a boarding pass not being issued on an international flight with multiple long-hauls. Lesson learned not to take any stock in a seat assignment.

They’re Biz Plat holders and called the number on the back of the card. The wife said they were on hold 30 minutes but maybe she was being misspoke.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
First question is whether your friends each had an e-ticket number. Not a confirmation or itinerary, but an e-ticket. If they have an Amex confirmation # and not an e-ticket, then it really is on Amex to get them home. Whether Amex does that by using its back channels to get the original reservation reinstated and at the price it would have paid or by some other means is not your friends' concern.

Thank you for clarifying. I’ll send this to them.

Getting all of this done is going to take a lot of time, patience and Skype.

Yeah...

Any chance that $800 fare is available on the way back? If so, might seem to be a great deal and might be an outstanding result.

I’m glad you asked that. It seems JetBlue is dumping some really cheap fares close to departure, but I could be wrong. Currently some $800 fares back in the next day or two. Will be interesting to see if that continues. They’re trying to fly home from CPT on the 4th and it legitimately might be the busiest day of the year at that airport. All the long-hauls appear to be at or near Y0.

Star Alliance is typically best for releasing close-in award space so I’m keeping an eye on that as well in hopes of getting them a saver award flight home. These are all backup plans to AmEx making it right.

For the benefit of others, always check that you have e-tickets with a 17-digit e-ticket number covering all segments of the itinerary. It takes about 30 seconds to review what typically arrives via email or which can be pulled up online from the ticketing carrier. Never rely on any other document as it is the e-ticket which the carrier uses to get paid.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by droopydog
My experience with them is you have to watch like a hawk to make sure it gets ticketed. I experience problems in about 5% of flights booked with them where ticketing gets hung up (with no warning) and you have to call to get it unstuck. Almost always the ones with ticketing problems are not simple round trips, just like the original poster.
Same here. What I always do is go on the airline's website and look up the itinerary there shortly after I book, to make sure it shows up as "ticketed" there. The most frustrating case I've found is with Air China, as their website doesn't let you pull up a reservation that was not booked on Air China's website, so I have to result to contacting them on Twitter to confirm the flight is OK (they are pretty fast to respond there). Air China often has some really good fares US-Asia with International Airline Program, so I'm willing to put up with the hassle.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You’re not dealing with AMEX, you’re dealing with Expedia. Good lucking getting them to fix it. My guess is you will have to get AMEX corporate involved. I’d suggest posting on the AMEX twitter page, they will forward your case on to someone who’s empowered to make things right.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-debacle.html
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:26 am

Closing the loop on this. AmEx finally admitted fault and agreed to book them one-way flights home on Lufthansa since BA was sold out. They're currently $6,000 out of pocket for travel costs AmEx has indicated they will likely reimburse them for. They didn't have return flights until 3 days prior to departure at which time AmEx typed the wrong last name on one of the tickets. They called back to get the last name corrected and the flight didn't re-ticket! They almost ended up in the same nightmare scenario as before, but caught it and got it fixed. Extremely stressful and definitely took the wind out of two seasoned travelers sails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.