Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Membership Rewards vs. Cash Back Amex if already using Chase UR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

I am interested in getting an Amex card for Amex Offers and presale concert tickets. I was thinking of getting either a) the Wells Fargo Propel Amex or b) the Amex Premier Rewards Gold for 1 year and then downgrading to Amex Everyday card before the annual fee hits. The Wells Fargo Propel currently has $300 sign up bonus vs. Amex Gold has 250k Membership Rewards. My understanding is that Membership Rewards points vary in value, with the best value when transferred to partner airline and worse when redeeming for cash (about 0.007 cents per point).

I have many Chase cards - Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire - and have a good amount of UR points saved. I previously had Sapphire Reserve & Sapphire Preferred but downgraded after AF hit. I will probably reapply for CSR early next year. I typically use my UR points to book flights through the Chase Travel Portal when a flight is on sale (with 1.5 point boost using CSR) or transfer points to partner airline.

It seems like the WF Propel is better option for me, since the Chase UR is my primary rewards program. If I were to go with Amex and Membership Awards route, the Everyday card (1% on most purchases) would have very low points earning rate. The WF Propel (3% CB on travel & dining) would have better earning rate.

Which card should I get to have Amex Offers & presale concert tickets? Is Membership Awards Program or straight up cash back better value in this instance?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travels007
I am interested in getting an Amex card for Amex Offers and presale concert tickets. I was thinking of getting either a) the Wells Fargo Propel Amex or b) the Amex Premier Rewards Gold for 1 year and then downgrading to Amex Everyday card before the annual fee hits. The Wells Fargo Propel currently has $300 sign up bonus vs. Amex Gold has 250k Membership Rewards. My understanding is that Membership Rewards points vary in value, with the best value when transferred to partner airline and worse when redeeming for cash (about 0.007 cents per point).... Which card should I get to have Amex Offers & presale concert tickets? Is Membership Awards Program or straight up cash back better value in this instance?
If all you care for is Amex offers and presale concert tickets, I'd go with the WF Propel. It's an alright card I guess, though the sign up bonus is too low for me to bite. I've shredded 2 preapprovals from them already this month. Also you can't downgrade that Amex PRG to an Everyday. The PRG is a charge card and the Everyday is a credit card and you cannot product change between them.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Since you say that the Chase cards will remain your primary cards, why worry if the Everyday is a poor points earner?

I hadn't heard of the Propel so I did some research. It looks fine, and if you aren't putting many purchases on it then being able to cash out points at low values is helpful (i.e the 2500pts = $25), and that's a nice signing bonus.

However, Amex Membership Rewards has a benefit in that some of the airline transfer partners are common between Chase and Amex (to my knowledge Singapore, Aer Lingus, BA, Flying Blue), so you'd be able to combine your points for award tickets. This also yields the higher end of the points value (typically for booking last minute flights using awards instead of cash, or international business class).

You're right that $0.007 is the 'cash value' of an MR (including spending them at Amazon), but if you spend the points on Amex Travel (instead of transferring for award flights), you will spend 1 MR = $0.01 when booking flights on Amex Travel, and that's "as good as" cash to me, and equal to the WF card, but definitely not as competitive as the CSR with the 1.5x.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Amex Gold has 250k Membership Rewards..... worse when redeeming for cash (about 0.007 cents per point).

....Everyday card (1% on most purchases) would have very low points earning rate. ...
It appears you have some decimal points in the wrong places. I think you have seen a 25,000 point offer for Premier Rewards Gold (not 250,000), but look harder because 50,000 point offers are common.

$0.007 = 0.7 cents

1 point per dollar is not the same as 1%. The value of points depends on how you redeem. If you are going to treat Membership Rewards points as if they were cash, why not apply for an American Express cashback card rather than a card that earns Membership Rewards?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:34 am

Unless there is a good reason that you’d need a Membership Rewards account, such as to preserve points from a corporate card or you’ll get value out of the benefits of say the Platinum Card, I’d get an Amex no annual fee cash back card.

You’ll have to divert an awful lot of spend from Chase to get any real value out of MR points.

If you purchase groceries, get the Blue Cash Everyday where you get 3% back. Otherwise, the Cash Magnet with 1.5%. You’ll get decent Amex offers and the event pre-sales.

Keep in mind that the Wells Fargo product is issued and underwritten by Wells Fargo and not American Express Centurion Bank. I have no idea what the gap is between number of Amex offers and overall customer service will be with that relationship.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
The AmEx Blue Business Plus (make up a business) gets you 2x MR points for all purchases.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke5150
The AmEx Blue Business Plus (make up a business) gets you 2x MR points for all purchases.
The Amex Blue Business seems to only have a 10k opening bonus. Has it ever been offered with a higher bons?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tutkija80
Unless there is a good reason that you’d need a Membership Rewards account, such as to preserve points from a corporate card or you’ll get value out of the benefits of say the Platinum Card, I’d get an Amex no annual fee cash back card.

You’ll have to divert an awful lot of spend from Chase to get any real value out of MR points.

If you purchase groceries, get the Blue Cash Everyday where you get 3% back. Otherwise, the Cash Magnet with 1.5%. You’ll get decent Amex offers and the event pre-sales.

Keep in mind that the Wells Fargo product is issued and underwritten by Wells Fargo and not American Express Centurion Bank. I have no idea what the gap is between number of Amex offers and overall customer service will be with that relationship.
The Amex website for the Wells Fargo Propel card shows that the card is eligible for Amex Offers. When you click on the Amex Offers link, it does not seem to have a specific page for the Propel card. Does Amex ever have different offers for Amex issued cards vs. cards issued by a Bank?
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/n...go/propel.html
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:29 am

The Amex Blue Business seems to only have a 10k opening bonus. Has it ever been offered with a higher bons?
20K has been the highest, but it was a targeted offer I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.