Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Why American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I've had one sort of Amex card or the other since 1981 when, barely out of college, I got a Green Card. I've had good service and some pretty terrible service over the years. Perhaps the worst was when I was a victim of identity theft. I won't go into the circumstances, but they involved numerous fraudulent charges on one my Amex card and attempts to open mobile phone and other accounts in my name.I was pretty sure it was an inside job as it was a brand new card that I had activated and then put in a drawer.

Amex fraud dept told me what I needed to do, but were otherwise unhelpful and unwilling to admit anything. I was stuck with completing all the ID theft paperwork with little asssitance from Amex.

Unsatisfied, I eventually was able to talk to one of their fraud investigators who confirmed it was an Amex employee that had been the perpetrator.

Granted this happened some years ago before ID theft became as prevalent as it has. Nonetheless, Amex really let me down.

I kept the card, but have used it a lot less than I would have over the years if they had been more forthcoming and helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by 6P&E
I've had one sort of Amex card or the other since 1981 when, barely out of college, I got a Green Card. I've had good service and some pretty terrible service over the years. Perhaps the worst was when I was a victim of identity theft. I won't go into the circumstances, but they involved numerous fraudulent charges on one my Amex card and attempts to open mobile phone and other accounts in my name.I was pretty sure it was an inside job as it was a brand new card that I had activated and then put in a drawer.

Amex fraud dept told me what I needed to do, but were otherwise unhelpful and unwilling to admit anything. I was stuck with completing all the ID theft paperwork with little asssitance from Amex.

Unsatisfied, I eventually was able to talk to one of their fraud investigators who confirmed it was an Amex employee that had been the perpetrator.

Granted this happened some years ago before ID theft became as prevalent as it has. Nonetheless, Amex really let me down.

I kept the card, but have used it a lot less than I would have over the years if they had been more forthcoming and helpful.
I know someone that had similar issue with Citibank: fraudulently charges on credit card so Citibank closed and issue a new one (with a new number). New credit card hasn't been used by the person but yet again there were fraudulently charges. How does that happen? The new credit card number is (should be) only known by Citibank; Citibank didn't/won't admit to anything.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:59 am
Suspended

Long time Plat card holder and remain a satisfied customer. But as much as I’ve enjoy this thread and sincerely appreciate the OP’s view I’m hesitant to use the word loyalty. I view it more as a product that delivers a good service.

I doubt Amex would have much loyalty to me should I stop paying the bill nor would I suspect that my loyalty would continue should the product no longer offer me the services and benefits which brought me to them in the first place.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:38 pm

I have been with them for over 25 years.

they really are no better than anyone else. I have't the foggiest idea what people are talking about - they have never really helped me and generally are a hindrance. Probably the only reason I keep them around is because:

a. Everyone is pretty bad between phone trees and novice CSR's.
b. I am lazy and don't want to hunt for another card.

fanatical devotion to a company for any reason is absurd. They see you as a dollar sign pure and simple.

If amex irritated me enough I would dump them in a second and switch to someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.