FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On Why American Express
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:28 pm
6P&E

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I've had one sort of Amex card or the other since 1981 when, barely out of college, I got a Green Card. I've had good service and some pretty terrible service over the years. Perhaps the worst was when I was a victim of identity theft. I won't go into the circumstances, but they involved numerous fraudulent charges on one my Amex card and attempts to open mobile phone and other accounts in my name.I was pretty sure it was an inside job as it was a brand new card that I had activated and then put in a drawer.

Amex fraud dept told me what I needed to do, but were otherwise unhelpful and unwilling to admit anything. I was stuck with completing all the ID theft paperwork with little asssitance from Amex.

Unsatisfied, I eventually was able to talk to one of their fraud investigators who confirmed it was an Amex employee that had been the perpetrator.

Granted this happened some years ago before ID theft became as prevalent as it has. Nonetheless, Amex really let me down.

I kept the card, but have used it a lot less than I would have over the years if they had been more forthcoming and helpful.