Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by a_hm156
Has anyone had any luck getting Marriott to honor lounge access/ benefits for previously booked reservations? I have a couple of reservations that I made ( one for August and one for December) before I knew about the changes happening on August 1. I called Marriott customer service and was told they would not be honored. Has anyone had any luck by calling the hotels directly?
I am in a similar situation. I have a Starwood booking that is post-August 2018 when SPG Gold will mapped to the new Marriott Gold.
The SPG Gold entitles me to guaranteed 4pm check out but the new Marriott Gold only gives me a 2pm late check out based on availability.
I have an evening long haul flight. It would be nice to get a 4pm check out to be able to freshen up before heading to the airport.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I am in a similar situation. I have a Starwood booking that is post-August 2018 when SPG Gold will mapped to the new Marriott Gold.
The SPG Gold entitles me to guaranteed 4pm check out but the new Marriott Gold only gives me a 2pm late check out based on availability.
I have an evening long haul flight. It would be nice to get a 4pm check out to be able to freshen up before heading to the airport.
Ask the hotel. You might have better luck with the guaranteed 4 pm checkout if you don't ask them to honor all other current MR Gold benefits, such as lounge/breakfast.....or the hotel could offer you a 4 or 6 pm checkout for some reasonable additional amount of money, maybe as little as $25-50, but if there's a standard for the general public, it would be 50% of the nightly room rate for 4 pm and 100% of the rate for 6 pm, although a day rate (usually to 5 pm) could be cheaper. Some hotels in places where many flights leave late at night (Argentina, Brazil, Singapore, for example) allow 8 pm or later checkouts, while some luxury hotels do the equivalent of Your24 (IIRC Peninsula Beverly Hills, etc.).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:23 am

So it is 100% certain now that Marriott Gold members with Gold status from a match to SPG Gold gained from the AmEx Plat card will be downgraded to new Marriott Gold and lose lounge access, benefits etc. on August 1st?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mster
So it is 100% certain now that Marriott Gold members with Gold status from a match to SPG Gold gained from the AmEx Plat card will be downgraded to new Marriott Gold and lose lounge access, benefits etc. on August 1st?
I think those who are SPG Gold and matched to Marriott Gold Elite (on the strength of the SPG Gold) will be "downgraded" to the new Marriott Gold Elite in August, unless you have already stayed 50 nights to qualify for Platinum Elite. If you stayed 50 nights to attain Marriott Gold, you will be Platinum Elite in August. That's my understanding.

Marriott Silver Elite with 25 to 49 nights will be mapped to the new Gold Elite.

It's unclear but likely depends on management of individual hotels whether to honour benefits based on old programmes on bookings made prior to August 2018 for stays after August 2018.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's unclear but likely depends on management of individual hotels whether to honour benefits based on old programmes on bookings made prior to August 2018 for stays after August 2018.
I would rephrase this to say that it's possible some properties might (very generously) waive the rule that benefits are governed by status at time of check-in, not time of booking.

I'm not aware of program in which status at time of booking prevails over status at time of check-in.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
It seems pretty much understood that we'll lose breakfast/lounge access in August. Too bad, but I understand that benefit was temporary anyway.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would rephrase this to say that it's possible some properties might (very generously) waive the rule that benefits are governed by status at time of check-in, not time of booking.

I'm not aware of program in which status at time of booking prevails over status at time of check-in.
This is an exceptional situation where the programme rules change in the mid year. Usually, the status and programme benefits would run by the calendar year to the end of February of the following year.

In this case, one attained the status beginning in January 2018 (based on stays in 2017) with full expectation to receive benefits commensurate with that level until the end of February 2019, regardless whether that person would re-qualify for 2019/2020. Adjustments to programme requirements and benefits are usually made once a year.

While on paper, Marriott would have the right to alter the programme at any time without notice. It needs to manage expectations. If I stay 50 nights in 2018 to qualify for Platinum Elite for 2019, I would expect to enjoy those benefits until February 2020, not to be told mid year that the benefits would now change for the worse. Enhancement is always okay but cut back will leave a bad taste in the mouth.

What you were saying would make sense if someone who was Gold Elite in 2017 but did not re-qualify for 2018, that person should not be entitled to Gold Elite benefits for stays after February 2018 even though booking was made pre-March 2018 while that person was Gold Elite.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 11, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is true for status levels earned by nights (or stays), but when status is derived from having a credit card, it wouldn't be unreasonable (albeit perhaps complicated) to grant one year of status upon payment of each annual fee. The status starts when the credit card is acquired and normally ends when the credit card account is closed (or downgraded).

It's the same with PP from a credit card: your membership starts when the credit card is acquired and ends when the card account is closed, rather than following a calendar year. You wouldn't expect to be able to use the lounge based on having or using the credit card at the time your plane tickets were purchased. OTOH I realize this isn't a good analogy--there are rarely convincing analogies on FT--because normal membership isn't tied to a calendar or program year, but starts and ends based on when you pay a membership fee. Some airline programs with variable years such as BA are closer to PP.

AFAIK AmEx could modify or terminate the agreement of SPG Gold status for Platinum card members at any time, with or without warning. If that were to happen, people wouldn't be happy, but it wouldn't violate any program rules. Here people notice the change more due to the merger.

IMO it was a bad decision to temporarily do the status linking and matching the way Starriott has been doing as the sample of higher status has resulted in unrealistic expectations regarding the permanent program. In other words, people are more unhappy than they would be if they had never received the temporary MR Gold status from SPG Gold. This strategy also gave us overcrowded lounges and excessive competition for upgrades.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:17 pm

Is Marriott splitting those who attained SPG Gold by the "regular" route, i.e., # of nights/stays into a separate group from those who attained SPG Gold through Amex Platinum? So one group will be mapped into Platinum Elite, and the other into the new Gold Elite in August 2018?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Is Marriott splitting those who attained SPG Gold by the "regular" route, i.e., # of nights/stays into a separate group from those who attained SPG Gold through Amex Platinum? So one group will be mapped into Platinum Elite, and the other into the new Gold Elite in August 2018?
Yes. Yes.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes. Yes.
Don't think so. SPG Gold earned through 25 nights (or 10 stays) maps to new Gold.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Troopers
Don't think so. SPG Gold earned through 25 nights (or 10 stays) maps to new Gold.
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about it from the Marriott side of the business and not the SPG side of the business.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In this case, one attained the status beginning in January 2018 (based on stays in 2017) with full expectation to receive benefits commensurate with that level until the end of February 2019, regardless whether that person would re-qualify for 2019/2020. Adjustments to programme requirements and benefits are usually made once a year.
The benefit accruing status was "attained" through an exceptionally generous status match. It was not earned based on stays. Anyone who "earned" Marriott Gold on stays will be converted to Plat in the new program and continue to receive consistent benefits. I just don't see any injustice here.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it was a bad decision to temporarily do the status linking and matching the way Starriott has been doing as the sample of higher status has resulted in unrealistic expectations regarding the permanent program. In other words, people are more unhappy than they would be if they had never received the temporary MR Gold status from SPG Gold. This strategy also gave us overcrowded lounges and excessive competition for upgrades.
That's one way to look at it. One could also say that no good deed goes unpunished
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:48 am

Yeah, but some of the punishment was borne by other elites who had earned the status in the form of crowded lounges, fewer upgrades, etc. It's not like Starriott paid all of the cost of these policies.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The benefit accruing status was "attained" through an exceptionally generous status match. It was not earned based on stays. Anyone who "earned" Marriott Gold on stays will be converted to Plat in the new program and continue to receive consistent benefits. I just don't see any injustice here.
I am talking about SPG Gold being downgraded to the new Starriott Gold Elite from August 2018 losing some of the SPG Gold benefits. I am not talking about those who will lose the MR Elite Gold benefits because they obtained that status through a "generous" match of their SPG Gold status. The benefit year generally goes from January to the end of February of the following year.
Effectively, Marriott is saying, yes, back in 2017, we told you if you stayed 25 nights at Starwood properties, we would give you SPG Gold in 2018 and here were the benefits. You would enjoy this benefits until the end of February 2019. Fast forward May 2018, sorry, we have changed our mind. We are cutting your benefits.
As for those who obtained MR Gold Elite through a status match on the strength of their SPG Gold, yes, the deal was generous. If Marriott decided that it has made a mistake and wanted to reverse course, I have nothing to add. They probably should have matched the SPG Gold to Silver Elite but status definitely influenced one's booking decision. Then the change in August 2018 will be an "enhancement"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.