Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reversing a large upgrade charge on my Amex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Virgin
LondonElite: Thanks. I do understand. When I got to the counter, Emirates informed me that yes, there was upgrade space available in business class for ~160,000 miles (for two tickets). The upgrade was available for the miles I had (and still have).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, that's something to go on. Good luck with Amex!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chickenmittens
... Emirates offered us an $1800 cash upgrade a couple of days earlier....
Had you mentioned this to the American Express agent at the time they authorized you to make the charge? (Was the offer $1800 per person, or $1800 per couple?)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes, this is a tough situation.

FWIW, I had an Amex cruise agent once give me bad information (or something, I can't recall the details, it might have been a price she quoted me), and they ended up going back to listen to the tapes and they honored what had been discussed. That said, it was nowhere near $8,000. Probably not even a tenth of that.

I can't imagine Amex has anyway to get Emirates to reverse the charge and retroactively accept the miles (though maybe it does at higher management levels), and the other option is for Amex to just eat the $8,000 (less what they win back by deducting 160k MR points, call it $1600.).

If Amex refuses, I suppose you may still be able to pursue a remedy in small claims court, assuming each upgrade was a separate transaction (you'd have to file separately due to a $5k limit IIRC). That may or may not compel Amex to produce the recordings (which may or may not sway a judge). Of course not sure if Amex would try to force this into arbitration either.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Mia: Nope. Didn't mention it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. It's based on federal law (Fair Credit Billing Act).

Not clear to me why OP hasn't simply disputed the charge. More details would be helpful.
We don't know whether the OP has a USA residence/address or a USA based card. USA customer protection laws and regulations don't protect everyone worldwide. [in fact, we don't even know the originating airport where the upgrade was processed, but AFAIK the location of the transaction doesn't matter.]
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
This is quite a brutal story. I guess the resolution should rest upon the contents of the recorded conversation in question (that is, if the rep did indeed instruct the OP to make the charge and promised it would be reversed then I think Amex should honor those instructions and commitments). I wonder if they are stonewalling OP on that front. I mean, why are the calls recorded if not to be used later to resolve issues such as this? It would seem quite nefarious if Amex doesn't produce that recording and I can't imagine why that wouldn't be possible with how cheap data storage is these days.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the U.S. As I mentioned, the charge has been disputed, but it's just being disputed via a different avenue at Amex than the normal "disputes with the vendor" route. To Mia's point, the vendor is not really the problem here (other than that it would be nice for them and Amex to do the right thing and work with each other on this to achieve what the transaction was supposed to look like). I appreciate everyone's help here, by the way. Really weird situation. I hope Amex resolves it fairly... despite all of the time I've had to put in on the phone and the associated stress, I still give them credit if they take responsibility for the instructions they gave and make it right.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We don't know whether the OP has a USA residence/address or a USA based card. USA customer protection laws and regulations don't protect everyone worldwide. [in fact, we don't even know the originating airport where the upgrade was processed, but AFAIK the location of the transaction doesn't matter.]
Yes, we do.

But based on the further details provided, these circumstances would not qualify for a chargeback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.