Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex warranty extension for phone on installment plan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,
my phone battery has gone to crap and i had it checked out. It needs to be swapped out but it costs roughly 300.

I used an installment plan for it and paid it with both the SPG and the Chase Ink plus card.

My question was whether either of these cards would cover the warranty extension for the replacement? It is 15 months old, and thus out of warranty by Samsung.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Since you mention 2 credit cards, you need to specify which one you used at the point of sale (either online or in a store) as that is the instrument you actually used to make the purchase.

Whichever of the two that is, that is the one where you would seek coverage (if such coverage is available).

How you pay your credit card down in installments over time should not impact whatever extended warranty coverage you may be entitled to.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:06 am

I think OP meant that he has a monthly installment plan through the carrier or manufacturer, and he has alternated between using one of two cards to pay any given month's installment amount due.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:49 pm

The terms of the AMEX extended warranty (this is for the Platinum Card, although I suspect it is the same for all cards) says that there is no coverage for: "items still under installment billing."
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Well, I paid it oFF before the issue occurred, so it's not currently still under installment billing.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The terms are clearly spelled out here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...nty-terms.html
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
Well, I paid it oFF before the issue occurred, so it's not currently still under installment billing.
If they cover at all it would probably be the portion you used the card to pay with.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I'm not sure why but this is so difficult but the coverage is predicated on what credit card is used at the time of purchase, in other words whatever credit card you hand to the salesman. Period. If you financed it somehow, you didn't use a credit card at the point of purchase
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by jspira
I'm not sure why but this is so difficult but the coverage is predicated on what credit card is used at the time of purchase, in other words whatever credit card you hand to the salesman. Period. If you financed it somehow, you didn't use a credit card at the point of purchase
This is incorrect and OP has a valid question IMHO. Valid, but (sort of) answered in the T&C.

Basically these days carriers push these 0% device payment plans where the cost is split over 24 months.

If you put the phone on this plan, you still need to pay taxes and the first instalment on a credit card.

There are several questions in this scenario, re extended warranty, purchase protection, etc, etc.

FWIW, I did this instalment thing for the iPhone 7 because Verizon were giving $650 trade in value for an iPhone 6. I put the first payment on a BizPlat, but because they won't cover the phone until it's fully paid off, I'll be buying AppleCare+ for the phone.

This will give the phone 2 years of manufacturer coverage. The instalment agreement ends after 24 months. The real question is, will the Amex extended warranty add another year after the phone is fully paid off? The wording is:

"10. items still under installment billing;"

But it wouldn't be in that case.

The other pertinent wording is:

"We will pay up to the actual amount charged to Your Account for the product for which a Loss is claimed, but not to exceed $10,000. If the product also is covered by a purchased service contract, this Plan’s extended warranty time period begins at the end of the service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for a period of time equal to that warranty, up toone (1) additional year. "

So I think (IANAL) that this means that at the end of the 2 year instalment billing period covered by AppleCare+, Amex will extend the warranty by a year and will reimburse you up to $x, where $x is the portion of the instalment agreement billed to the card.
Maine2LA likes this.

Last edited by patrick.barnes; Sep 14, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
TMO EIP paid off Extended Warranty.

So basically I bought iPhone X($300 off haha) from TMO on EIP. Paid off the EIP in full within 14 days. Right now the phone is paid off and the entire amount to pay it off was charged to my Amex at once. Will I still get extended warranty on this?

I do know installment plans are not covered but if the entire remaining balance was paid off right after buuing the phone on EIP, will it be covered?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by krysler
I do know installment plans are not covered but...?
I moved your question into this thread which discusses the same issue. You may wish to scroll back to read the earlier posts.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:34 pm

I read this whole thread and I don't think it is accurate. It does appear that the AMEX extended warranty covers installment payment items if those payments are made with the card. Here is what AMEX's terms say:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...1_Rev_9-17.pdf

For items purchased under installment billing plans, We will pay the amount that has been billed up to the date of Loss/Covered Incident. Once the remaining balance has been paid or fulfilled by You, We will pay the remaining balance to You.

I also just called AMEX to confirm and they said that this situation would be covered and they would pay up to what has already been paid. Here is an example:

Say you bought an iphone 8 for $750 and are on an installment plan paying $31 a month. You have a warranty issue in month 13 just after the Apple warranty expires. You have made 12 payments on your Amex totaling $372. If the warranty claim is less than this, you get immediate payment. The apple "out of warranty" replacement cost is $349 for an iphone 8, so Amex would cover the full amount.

I'm trying to think of scenarios where it even makes sense to put the remaining months 13-24 payments on the card. It only makes sense if you expect to have two warranty claims during the year the extended warranty applies. I would imagine that is probably pretty rare.

Anyone disagree with this reading of the terms?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kilbornr
I read this whole thread and I don't think it is accurate. It does appear that the AMEX extended warranty covers installment payment items if those payments are made with the card. Here is what AMEX's terms say:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...1_Rev_9-17.pdf

For items purchased under installment billing plans, We will pay the amount that has been billed up to the date of Loss/Covered Incident. Once the remaining balance has been paid or fulfilled by You, We will pay the remaining balance to You.

I also just called AMEX to confirm and they said that this situation would be covered and they would pay up to what has already been paid. Here is an example:

Say you bought an iphone 8 for $750 and are on an installment plan paying $31 a month. You have a warranty issue in month 13 just after the Apple warranty expires. You have made 12 payments on your Amex totaling $372. If the warranty claim is less than this, you get immediate payment. The apple "out of warranty" replacement cost is $349 for an iphone 8, so Amex would cover the full amount.

I'm trying to think of scenarios where it even makes sense to put the remaining months 13-24 payments on the card. It only makes sense if you expect to have two warranty claims during the year the extended warranty applies. I would imagine that is probably pretty rare.

Anyone disagree with this reading of the terms?
Amex updated the extended warranty policies a few months ago
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:37 pm

As a followup to my post above, it seems AMEX modified their terms on 9/1/2017 and clarified this exact situation. Here are the old terms that exclude items still on installment billing:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...W-DOC-CCSG.pdf

So basically the comments from 2016 above were correct at the time, but are no longer correct.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
Amex updated the extended warranty policies a few months ago
Wow. You're quick!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.