FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex warranty extension for phone on installment plan?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:36 pm
mysterym

Originally Posted by kilbornr
I read this whole thread and I don't think it is accurate. It does appear that the AMEX extended warranty covers installment payment items if those payments are made with the card. Here is what AMEX's terms say:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...1_Rev_9-17.pdf

For items purchased under installment billing plans, We will pay the amount that has been billed up to the date of Loss/Covered Incident. Once the remaining balance has been paid or fulfilled by You, We will pay the remaining balance to You.

I also just called AMEX to confirm and they said that this situation would be covered and they would pay up to what has already been paid. Here is an example:

Say you bought an iphone 8 for $750 and are on an installment plan paying $31 a month. You have a warranty issue in month 13 just after the Apple warranty expires. You have made 12 payments on your Amex totaling $372. If the warranty claim is less than this, you get immediate payment. The apple "out of warranty" replacement cost is $349 for an iphone 8, so Amex would cover the full amount.

I'm trying to think of scenarios where it even makes sense to put the remaining months 13-24 payments on the card. It only makes sense if you expect to have two warranty claims during the year the extended warranty applies. I would imagine that is probably pretty rare.

Anyone disagree with this reading of the terms?
Amex updated the extended warranty policies a few months ago