Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Is anyone actually using a card for loss and damage protection within 90 days?
Like all insurance, you don't plan on needing it but it's nice to have when you do. I haven't had a vehicle accident since 2004 but a lady hit me in Feburary, and I was glad to have my insurance looking out for me. They're still in subrogation.

But if you're looking for an example of where the Amex insurance has been used, my good friend left a new golf club on a course, noticed a few holes later, but someone had already taken it by the time he returned. He waited a few days to see if it was turned in at the clubhouse, it wasn't, so Amex helped out.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mhdena
This may be true if these are the only two cards you have.

With Chase having Freedoms, and Inks its easy to add to the UR total.

With Amex, having AU cards and other MR earning cards and utilizing the Amex Offers, they are even easier to accumulate and add to the MR total.
Plus Amex has bonus transfer offers to airlines from time to time making business class more attainable.
Way easier to earn points on CSR though.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
I have both cards and had switched to accruing miles on the Reserve Card instead of Amex Plat.

However, I have been forced to switch back to Amex Plat.

Lately, my Reserve card is being declined (showing first approved then charge reversed) on Cathay Pacific Airline ticket purchases purchased on their India website. I had this happen twice in April. Both charges were ~ US$4300. In both instances, the CX website said I should call my credit card issuing bank to resolve. I even tried charging once while I had the Chase Reserve Rep on the phone. Same thing. They tell me that I should contact CX.

FYI - My credit limit is ~ $25K - 95% unutilized. I have been making these purchases for years now (past 4-5 years, 5-6 tickets per year) on the Chase Sapphire (previously) and now Reserve card with no issues (except once before where they were able to "fix it" while I had them on the phone). Chase was also aware that I would be using the card in India. I never carry a balance etc.

I was able to charge both transactions with my Amex Plat right away, even though I hardly use that card now, having instead transferring most of my purchases to the Sapphire/Sapphire Reserve card.

I escalated the matter through 5-10 secure messages with Chase and finally got a call from a Supervisor who maintains they are not at fault, but will try to be more accommodative to my intl'l purchases in the future.

In spite of the higher Annual Fee with Amex Plat and their very restrictive airline credit (choose in advance), I have learned my lesson to keep an Amex card when traveling internationally in particular.

Even with all of their benefits, I have found the Chase Reserve card to be unreliable once outside the country (which I have found to be the case with other VISA/MC as well).

At this point, I am considering canceling my Reserve Card after I use up my UR points.

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue ?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by m.photog
After a bit of reading this evening, I believe the Ritz Carlton card might be a good one for me. I wonder if the club upgrades can be used if you also have a corporate discount. More research to do.
With the recent changes at Marriott/SPG, is the Ritz card sticking around?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
What categories do you spend in and what do you want to earn miles toward? Unlike the Platinum (and especially so if you already hold the Platinum), the benefits of the CSR are pretty marginal ... the CSR is all about the 3x points on travel and dining, and what you can do with those points.
What you can do with the points is pretty significant. The transfer partners and exchange rates are extensive and valuable. If you do lots of travel and dining, CSR will earn better. The Amex will give you some more valuable benefits perphaps
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I have both cards and had switched to accruing miles on the Reserve Card instead of Amex Plat.

However, I have been forced to switch back to Amex Plat.

Lately, my Reserve card is being declined (showing first approved then charge reversed) on Cathay Pacific Airline ticket purchases purchased on their India website. I had this happen twice in April. Both charges were ~ US$4300. In both instances, the CX website said I should call my credit card issuing bank to resolve. I even tried charging once while I had the Chase Reserve Rep on the phone. Same thing. They tell me that I should contact CX.

FYI - My credit limit is ~ $25K - 95% unutilized. I have been making these purchases for years now (past 4-5 years, 5-6 tickets per year) on the Chase Sapphire (previously) and now Reserve card with no issues (except once before where they were able to "fix it" while I had them on the phone). Chase was also aware that I would be using the card in India. I never carry a balance etc.

I was able to charge both transactions with my Amex Plat right away, even though I hardly use that card now, having instead transferring most of my purchases to the Sapphire/Sapphire Reserve card.

I escalated the matter through 5-10 secure messages with Chase and finally got a call from a Supervisor who maintains they are not at fault, but will try to be more accommodative to my intl'l purchases in the future.

In spite of the higher Annual Fee with Amex Plat and their very restrictive airline credit (choose in advance), I have learned my lesson to keep an Amex card when traveling internationally in particular.

Even with all of their benefits, I have found the Chase Reserve card to be unreliable once outside the country (which I have found to be the case with other VISA/MC as well).

At this point, I am considering canceling my Reserve Card after I use up my UR points.

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue ?
If you're charging 11k a year in airfare you'd break even on the AF just by cashing out on an gift cards at 1cpp. Like Chase, AMEX has a transfer partner in each of the major airline alliances as well, so there is flexibility.

$4300/ticket * 5 trips = $21,500 which would return $1,075 via gift cards if you wanted to go that route (assuming 1cpp), or 107,500 MR points which can get a nice redemption via transfer partners. Any other benefits you get such as lounge access, is just gravy.

EDIT: I thought AMEX gift cards were 1cpp but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. However, select retailers are offered at this redemption.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Smile

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Way easier to earn points on CSR though.
Did you earn 58K UR points this month? If not you still have a week to go

Last edited by mhdena; Apr 24, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
With the recent changes at Marriott/SPG, is the Ritz card sticking around?
Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
bgriff likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by JHake10
If you're charging 11k a year in airfare you'd break even on the AF just by cashing out on an gift cards at 1cpp. Like Chase, AMEX has a transfer partner in each of the major airline alliances as well, so there is flexibility.

$4300/ticket * 5 trips = $21,500 which would return $1,075 via gift cards if you wanted to go that route (assuming 1cpp), or 107,500 MR points which can get a nice redemption via transfer partners. Any other benefits you get such as lounge access, is just gravy.

EDIT: I thought AMEX gift cards were 1cpp but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. However, select retailers are offered at this redemption.
Thanks, I do understand the math but it’s just unfortunate that a few months ago I was considering canceling the Amex Plat and just keeping the CSR

Chase customer service is horrible, and I have learned my lesson.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
$4300/ticket * 5 trips = $21,500 which would return $1,075 via gift cards if you wanted to go that route (assuming 1cpp), or 107,500 MR points which can get a nice redemption via transfer partners.
A Schwab Platinum would give $1343.75 cash deposit...
CKDGM, JHake10 and cuthroat like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:46 am

Not sure I understand this comment. Help me out?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:04 am

I think the OP was able to earn 58k MR this month in response to your comment that "way easier to earn points on CSR (UR) though", implying that it's way easier to earn MR than UR.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:38 am

Actually WAY more than 58,000 UR points this month. Had about $15k spent on travel and another $6500 on dining. So around 64,000 UR points with the week to go and traveling all of next week as well
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:16 pm

My point to the OP was you can earn more of each program with the right combination.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:36 pm

Thanks, I do understand the math but it’s just unfortunate that a few months ago I was considering canceling the Amex Plat and just keeping the CSR

Chase customer service is horrible, and I have learned my lesson.
Have you tried SM'ing Chase before you make the purchase to make sure it goes through? It's probably just fraud protection kicking in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.