Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Trying to understand if this makes sense or just a waste of money.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Yup. I have them both, but I think come renewal I'd have to consider canceling one of them.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

We have had two long threads comparing Sapphire Reserve with Platinum:

2016: How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

2017: AMEX Platinum vs Chase Sapphire Reserve

I'm not sure there is much new to say on the topic, until the next refresh of either product.

---------------------------------

My own view is that Sapphire Reserve aligns more closely with Citi Prestige, and (as long as the annual fees are reduced by travel credits) I think there is a good case for holding Platinum plus one of the other two, but generally not all three.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have both and see them as different products.
  • Amex Plat is a benefits card that has 5x on airfare.
  • CSR is a points earning card.
I only put airfare on the Amex Plat. I put any other travel and dining on the CSR.
EWR-6785, linglingfool and G-CIVC like this.

Last edited by JHake10; Apr 9, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:32 pm

I have both and plan to keep them both.

I save thousands of dollars a year with the Amex Platinum IAP program and FHR. I use Chase for my dining charges and primary car rental insurance coverage.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

I also have both and plan to keep them both. For the Sapphire I like the 3X points on travel and dining, and for the Amex I like the Centurion Lounge and FHR. Combined with the annual travel credits on each, those things make it worth it to me. I'm sure that people who enjoy doing such things can find myriad ways to explain that one can get the same benefits cheaper without having both cards, but I don't really feel the need to micromanage my finances to that degree. I find that I get sufficient value from each card that the annual fee is a non-issue.
Statman likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My own view is that Sapphire Reserve aligns more closely with Citi Prestige, and (as long as the annual fees are reduced by travel credits) I think there is a good case for holding Platinum plus one of the other two, but generally not all three.
I concur. I chose the Citi Prestige to pair with the Platinum.
m.photog likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RIght - the Amex Platinum is really about the perks, not the spend, with the exception of the 5x on airfare.

The CSR is all about the spend - the only useful perk, to me, is the PriorityPass membership.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Have both as well as the Ritz. I come out ahead with all 3 every year.

Amex - Perks, FHR, and concierge.
CSR - Daily driver.
Ritz - Infinite $100 savings on airfare.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Troopers
Agreed. One or 2 uses of the 4th night free basically makes the Prestige a nearly $0 net AF card (assuming you'd stay the 4 nights anyway).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, I have all three, and I'm all set keeping all three as long as the programs stay this way. Each is a net positive for me, each year.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agreed. One or 2 uses of the 4th night free basically makes the Prestige a nearly $0 net AF card (assuming you'd stay the 4 nights anyway).
Wouldn't it make sense to also book hotels via Amex Travel for 5x MRs? Or does that method not accrue hotel points and qualifying nights compared to the Citi Prestige Concierge booking on your behalf?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mia
We have had two long threads comparing Sapphire Reserve with Platinum:

2016: How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

2017: AMEX Platinum vs Chase Sapphire Reserve

I'm not sure there is much new to say on the topic, until the next refresh of either product.

---------------------------------

FWIW, I think this thread really has a different focus that deserves a separate thread, so I hope we keep it. I've seen some of the comparison discussions, but it's interesting hearing from people who continue to maintain and hold both cards--they've already offered some insights I hadn't thought of.
m.photog and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Wouldn't it make sense to also book hotels via Amex Travel for 5x MRs? Or does that method not accrue hotel points and qualifying nights compared to the Citi Prestige Concierge booking on your behalf?
A fourth night free via Citi Prestige is much much better than a non-refundable 5x MR booking via Amex Travel.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
A fourth night free via Citi Prestige is much much better than a non-refundable 5x MR booking via Amex Travel.
Ah, I was under the impression that hotels on Amex Travel are cheaper than the lowest-available bookable rate similar to Amex IAP. (I don't have access to know for sure, so my mistake if that is the case; I appear to be misinformed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.