Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Denial of Coverage for "Exotic Car" (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I don't 'get' the argument here. AmEx has their terms spelled out. And it excludes Jaguars.

The argument is that the Jaguar is categorized as an "Exotic" car, which is not really an Exotic car.
I can afford a Jaguar but I can't afford an Exotic car AKA Lambo/Ferrari...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

What insurance coverage do you have when renting those more expensive vehicles not covered by the Amex?
Typically just buy insurance from the rental car service.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
No way!?!?! Damn, lets face it people with Centurion cards usually can afford a "better" cars. If I can help it I personally don't like to rent Ford, Honda, Toyota, Fiat, etc... Centurion card is supposed to be a "top charge/credit" card. By the looks of it these "coverage" are similar across the world I assume... Even with the Visa Infinite Privilege!

Tough to get a reply from the CEO, might have better chance with the COO. Maybe you should try asking in Twitter (that's if you use it, I personally don't).

I guess at the end of the day people are forced to take the insurance from the car rental company.
Yeah I agree. For the average Centurion card profile, this makes the rental car insurance benefit useless. Funny thing is, most of my Centurion friends didn't know about it. I only found out after reading the T&Cs.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase covered wheel resurfacing on a jag that hertz claimed half year (!) after my rental...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Chase covered wheel resurfacing on a jag that hertz claimed half year (!) after my rental...
For clarity, in which country is your American Express card issued?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I was going to rent a Corvette in IAH until I reviewed the T+C for the card to check for exclusions. The over $XX,XXX in value caught me up.

While I have personal car rental coverage thru my automobile carrier, I'd prefer not to involve them should something actually happen.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
The definition of "exotic" seems internally inconsistent. If it ever got to arbitration, it would likely be construed against the drafter (i.e., AmEx), and in favor of the customer. Of course, if it's only a few thousand dollars, might not be worth going that far.

Doesn't OP have his own car insurance policy?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
For clarity, in which country is your American Express card issued?
it is us based chase which i believe has "luxury" exclusions as well - not sure if jag is explicitely spelled out..

i also wonder if booking a regular car and getting involuntarily upgraded vs booking a specialty luxury rare wharever car makes a diffetence...

doesnt make much sense overall - jag can be 30-40k and much cheaper than many card hertz offers not excluded
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: Italy is explicitly excluded by amex so back to Chase SP which has no exclusion for Italy or Jags (some other luxury brands like porsche maserati etc are excluded though)..

Unexpectedly i came across a jag priced similarly to regular cars (for a trip in europe) and i recalled this thread...
Is anyone more familiar with amex premium protection aware of exclusion mentioned by op for premium coverage with US issued amex?

I looked on amex site and it only mentions 100K total coverage but nothing specific on brand exclusion:

Up to $100,000 in coverage for damage or theft. For the higher priced option ($15.25 for FL residents, $17.95 for CA residents, $24.95 for all other states). Lower coverage option available.Many types of vehicles, such as luxury vehicles, SUVs, and pickup trucks.
Exclusions:
Premium Car Rental Protection excludes certain vehicles, items, and actions from coverage.

Excluded vehicles include: automobiles that have been customized or modified from the manufacturer's factory specifications, except for driver's assistance equipment for the physically challenged; any rented vehicle used for hire or commercial purposes; antique cars (cars over 20 years old or cars that have not been manufactured for over 10 years); limousines; off-road vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds, recreational vehicles, golf or motorized carts, campers, moving trucks or moving vans, and trailers. Insurance benefits will not be available if the loss is partially or wholly attributed to pushing or towing anything. Insurance benefits will also not be provided for damage to tires unless other damage to the Rental Car occurred in the same Accident.

Coverage may be subject to exclusions and limitations including certain exclusions related to pre-existing conditions. The exclusions and limitations may reduce the levels of coverage available to you. Under Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage, depending on the severity, not all dismemberments are eligible for payment.

Please refer to your Plan documents for a complete description of the coverage exclusions.

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
I rented a car from Avis in Germany on my American Express Gold Card. The vehicle was involved in an accident that was my fault.

I had rented an E Class sedan but when I was at the counter they were out of that category so they upgraded me to an Audi A8

I spoke with Amex this morning and they said if the vehicle has an MSRP over $85,000 CAD they will deny the claim. Audi is not on their exotic list but I think this car will exceed $85K MSRP

Any suggestions on what my options are or am I SOL?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Sean22mac
I rented a car from Avis in Germany on my American Express Gold Card. The vehicle was involved in an accident that was my fault.

I had rented an E Class sedan but when I was at the counter they were out of that category so they upgraded me to an Audi A8

I spoke with Amex this morning and they said if the vehicle has an MSRP over $85,000 CAD they will deny the claim. Audi is not on their exotic list but I think this car will exceed $85K MSRP

The problem is that in Germany, German cars are very expensive! One of the older cars I bought brand new was a 2011 BMW 335xi fully loaded, paid about $75k CAD, BUT in Germany with a very similar specs, it would have cost about $95k CAD in Germany!!!! Its crazy, you'd expect the car to be cheaper in Germany. Anyways needless to say the Audi A8 is an expensive car over $100k CAD and so as an E Class, they are in the upper Luxury Category.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Better to read your t&c before you call. I would read them carefully, see how the written document defines the term and then, if you are not excluded, call back and point to the specific terms.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Really sorry to hear about this Sean22mac. I'm the OP for this thread.

The German MSRP for the 2018 A8 is EUR90,600. But this includes the 19% VAT in Germany. Subtracting that gets you to EUR73386, which is about $111,000CAD. The Amex certificate of insurance notes that coverage is $85,000CAD where the rental agreement is signed, so the German price in euros is what would apply, so it looks like you may be stuck.

Aside from arguing with RSA (Amex's Canadian insurer), if you have a primary auto insurance coverage for your car in Canada, it might cover you for this damage. It would increase your premiums, but it could be worth it.

You can request that RSA re-consider the decision, if you think there's a mitigating factor. You can then appeal any decision to RSA's internal appeal committee. Failing that, you can then appeal to GIO Canada, which is the private obudsperson employed by Canadian insurers. Depending on the extent of the damage, you can also file a civil court claim, either Small Claims or other. But it sounds like the insurance certificate is clear here, although there may be some argument if you were upgraded at the last minute, I'm not sure.

EDIT: If you had a 2017 Audi A8, the german MSRP appears to have been 85000EUR. Also, the Amex Certificate of Insurance notes that its $85000CAD before all taxes, so if there are additional taxes in Germany built into the MSRP that I'm not aware of (or if I'm wrong on the 19% VAT and it's higher percentage), you could look into that.

Last edited by joburghfx; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joburghfx
Apologies if an answer to this has been posted elsewhere, but I can't seem to find anyone else with a similar issue. I have the standard Canadian Amex Platinum. Thought I knew most of the exceptions (vehicles over $85k, pickups, vans, exotic cars, etc), but have run into an issue with being denied coverage. Reserved a rental in Germany with Hertz. Reserved a mid-size or full-size (don't have the docs here at the moment) Ford Mondeo or Similar, and when we picked up we received a Jaguar XE 2.0d sedan with 70k kms. Didn't think anything of it at the time. It's a compact, 4 cylinder diesel sedan, MSRP in Canada would be approx. $45k.

Had a minor accident (thankfully). Submitted a claim immediately to Amex within the 72 hour window. Hertz liability coverage took (I assume, never heard anything else) care of the third party's damage. From the time of the accident, to driving to the closest Hertz outlet to exchange the car and dealing with paperwork, we were back on the road within 2 hours (gotta love German efficiency).

Anyway, Amex Canada's insurer RSA has denied coverage for the vehicle, because they claim the car is an "exotic" vehicle under their policy. Here's the definition in Amex's Certificate of Insurance in Canada, where you'll see the issue I've encountered:
"Exotic” means any automobile which is not a standard Rental Auto offered by most of the Rental Agencies in the province or state, or in a country without provinces or states, where the vehicle was rented or is a vehicle totally or partially custom made, hand made, hand finished or is a vehicle of limited production (under 2,000 vehicles per year by the manufacturer). Exotic automobiles include, but are not limited to the following models: Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, De Lorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jaguar, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce and limousines.

As you can see, Jaguar is listed as an exotic vehicle. But the Hertz office had a number of them in the garage, along with lots of other base model Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. and the XE sells way more than 2000 per year and is not hand made or custom. Given that that definition includes Bricklin, De Lorean, and Excalibur, I think the definition likely hasn't been updated in a while. I mean, you'd think a Tesla Model S would be more exotic than a Jaguar XE. I have submitted an appeal of the decision to RSA, and am waiting for it to be considered, but wondering if anyone else has had similar experience or tips for resolving this sort of ludicrous situation. I'd prefer not to be personally responsible for a few thousand dollars in damage.
Thought I would come back with a quick update on this situation. After the insurer denied the re-consideration, we filed a formal appeal with the insurer's internal appeal committee. They again denied the appeal, based solely on the fact that the word "Jaguar" is included in the definition, and again completely ignoring the first sentence of the definition.

In Canada, you can appeal decisions of insurers to a private, "independent" ombudsperson, GIO Canada. It's funded by the insurers, hence my use of "independent". Anyway, we filed an appeal with them, and got a bit more traction with our argument. I'm now being forced to prove that the Jaguar XE is a standard Rental Auto offered by most of the Rental Agencies in Germany, where the vehicle was rented. Suffice to say, that that's going to be a bit of a pain.

If anyone has rented a Jaguar, from any agency in Germany, and would be willing to help provide proof (a redacted, recent rental record would likely work), please let me know. I'll maybe post this on other sub-forums as well, to see if anyone can help. I've done a ton of searching, and found that Sixt has Jaguar XEs in their German fleet (shoutout to Sixt for having such a detailed fleet guide: https://www.sixt.com/php/fleet/vehic...p_list_dynamic). Also, who knew that National rented Jaguar XEs in Croatia! I've also contacted all of the major agencies in Germany by email, but I'm not hopeful they'll provide details on their current or past German fleets including Jaguars. ha. I've also searched social media to see if anyone has posted photos of renting Jaguars in Germany...down the rabbit hole we go.

I'll provide a further update once I hear anything further. There's a FURTHER appeal mechanism within GIO Canada if they deny the appeal, before the potential for a Small Claims Court filing. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:43 am

This is the Hetz fleet in Germany: https://www.hertz.de/rentacar/vehicl...e%20Collection

Could it be under the prestige collection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.