Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5x points and FHR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

5x points and FHR?

I can'f find an actual confirmation on the site but I'm presuming that if I book my hotel through FHR program that I'll still get the 5x points (even though it's technically not "amex travel").

Also - do room charges during the stay count towards the 5x? For instance in Vegas I generally just use the card but it occurs to me (just now, derp) that if I'm staying at an MGM property and dine at an MGM restaurant that I should just apply it to the room bill and pick up the points?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:04 pm
ckr

Neither FHR bookings or room charges count toward 5x.

5x benifit terms can be found at the bottom of https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...otels/platinum

One Mile confirms no 5x here: Amex Platinum Card Benefits: 5x Points On Airfare & Hotels - One Mile at a Time

Unfortunately all other kinds of hotel bookings, including those made directly through a hotel, refundable bookings made through amextravel.com, or American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings, aren’t eligible for this benefit.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
As of today, FHR doesn't qualify for 5x. However, OMAAT does note a rumor that it may be in the works.

A reader who works at a hotel that belongs to Fine Hotels & Resorts reports that Amex is getting backend and billing information from hotels participating in this program so that they can introduce two benefits:
  • Offering 5x points on Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings with the Amex Platinum Card
  • Allowing Pay With Points to be used for Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings; on the personal version of the card you can only get at most one cent per point, while on the business version they offer up to a 35% on points redeemed through this method, though we’d have to see if this is extended to hotel bookings
Apparently the timeline for this is “early 2018,” though it might take a bit longer than that for them to get everything up and running. Once again, this is just a rumor at this point, and if it happens I’m sure there will be an official announcement soon.
Rumored New Amex Platinum Perks Coming In 2018 - One Mile at a Time
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JHake10
As of today, FHR doesn't qualify for 5x. However, OMAAT does note a rumor that it may be in the works.

Rumored New Amex Platinum Perks Coming In 2018 - One Mile at a Time
I hope he's right - it does seem incongruous to offer 5x with Amex Travel but not FHR. And the Platinum card needs some sort of bonus spending category!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gig103
it does seem incongruous to offer 5x with Amex Travel but not FHR.
Actually it doesn't. FHR booking carries additional benefits of considerable value that may be considered in lieu of any points bonus. My assumption is that AMEX gets a better commission on non-FHR bookings, and that's why they offer 5x on one, but not the other.

Originally Posted by Gig103
And the Platinum card needs some sort of bonus spending category!
It already earns more on airline tix (5x) than any other card. This is arguably the single best credit card earn bonus there is.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It already earns more on airline tix (5x) than any other card. This is arguably the single best credit card earn bonus there is.
If that's all you care about. I'll always take travel protections, even if I won't need them, over 2 extra points per dollar.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
.. better commission on non-FHR bookings,...s.
The quotation attributed to the hotel employee suggests that this is technological limitation, not a financial decision.

...getting backend and billing information from hotels participating in this program so that they can introduce two benefits:

Offering 5x points on Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings with the Amex Platinum Card
The current benefit applies only to prepaid hotel stays booked through Amex Travel. Most FHR stays are postpaid. American Express needs a way to track an FHR booking from reservation through to a specific card transaction.

Last edited by mia; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bradpetrik
If that's all you care about. I'll always take travel protections, even if I won't need them, over 2 extra points per dollar.
That's a different discussion. The discussion here is about bonus categories.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:32 am
mia

Moderator action

Reports of FHR charging a deposit at time of booking moved:

Which FHR properties require a deposit at time of booking?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
To the OP: regardless of the Amex points earned, you should always charge all restaurant spend at MGM properties in Vegas to your room anyway, because:
  1. You can earn Hyatt points for your room bill at MGM properties, including for any restaurant charges or other incidentals charged to the room
  2. You also earn Mlife tier credits for your room bill and incidental spend, and if you pick up a couple of decent-sized restaurant bills it can even be enough to get you a lot of the way to the first couple of Mlife elite tiers -- which then themselves come with various room discount offers and other benefits, even if you don't gamble at all
Note that you can charge restaurant spend from any MGM property to a room in any other MGM property, so you can charge a restaurant at the MGM Grand to a room in the Bellagio, etc.
Johnny O likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriff
To the OP: regardless of the Amex points earned, you should always charge all restaurant spend at MGM properties in Vegas to your room anyway, because:
  1. You can earn Hyatt points for your room bill at MGM properties, including for any restaurant charges or other incidentals charged to the room
  2. You also earn Mlife tier credits for your room bill and incidental spend, and if you pick up a couple of decent-sized restaurant bills it can even be enough to get you a lot of the way to the first couple of Mlife elite tiers -- which then themselves come with various room discount offers and other benefits, even if you don't gamble at all
Note that you can charge restaurant spend from any MGM property to a room in any other MGM property, so you can charge a restaurant at the MGM Grand to a room in the Bellagio, etc.
Right.
I didn't know about point #1 but for #2 I've always carried my Mlife players card with me and had the waiter swipe it along with my card to get the points and managed to snag platinum level one year. (It's hard for me to snag gold now, though - not going enough!)

I'm still fuzzy if Amex treats charges to the room for NON room items (dining or shop purchases) as part of the room costs. (For Hyatt points it seems they do)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Do FHR booked with AMEX Travel get 2X (one for the purchase, one for AMEX Travel)?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:58 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Do FHR booked with AMEX Travel get 2X (one for the purchase, one for AMEX Travel)?
As far as I have ever noticed, no.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:49 am
mia

2X Points:
Membership Rewards-enrolled Card Members get at least 1 Membership Rewards® point for every eligible dollar spent on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card. Those same Card Members will also get at least 1 additional point for each dollar of eligible travel purchases made on amextravel.com on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card. Eligible travel purchases include all travel purchases made with your Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card on amextravel.com, including air, prepaid hotels, vacation packages (flight + hotel packages) or cruise reservations, minus returns and other credits. Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members are only eligible for 1 additional point on cruise reservations. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, ticketing service or other fees, or interest charges. Bonuses you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer, such as 5X bonuses for Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members. Any portion of a charge that you elect to cover through redemption of Membership Rewards points is not eligible to receive points. If you have an Amex EveryDay Card product, additional points awarded under this offer will not be included in the extra points benefit. Additional points will be credited to the Membership Rewards account 10-12 weeks after final payment is made.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
OMAAT is reporting that AMEX is updating FHR to offer 5x points! In order to get the 5x you'll need to pay upfront. However, you still have the cancellation flexibility unlike a traditional pre-paid rate.
mia and Yoshi212 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.