Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5x points and FHR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If it wasn't for earning hotel points and stay credit I would be excited about the change ...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
If it wasn't for earning hotel points and stay credit I would be excited about the change ...
But this frees you from the tyranny of the major programs and allows you to stay in better properties, while still earning redeemable points.

There are quite a few cities where the best option - independent of loyalty program - is not a Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt. Just enjoyed Four Seasons in Singapore, for example.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
I typically don't do normal pre-paid rates either due to loyalty benefit issues. However, this doesn't seem to be a normal pre-paid rate. You can pre-pay this FHR rate and still cancel.
You can do pre-paid on hotels.com and still cancel (if it's a refundable rate), I don't think that's the deciding factor. (Because you can also do pay-at-hotel and you still won't get the loyalty points). Presumably the hotels are able to differentiate by exactly what channel the booking is from. That said, I would assume there's a hefty commission in order for Amex to offer the 5x points, so I could see why the hotels wouldn't want to also award loyalty points. Will be nice to get some clarity on this...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:31 am

Just read through this thread as a noob looking to get into AMEX Plat (I am currently a Citi Prestige holder but will likely discard it post the recent changes announced).
So if I understood correctly, one can still get loyalty program (eg. Marriott or Hyatt) points/credits and benefits from the hotel if they were to book FHR through the post-paid option. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by mia
The quotation attributed to the hotel employee suggests that this is technological limitation, not a financial decision.
I think Amex has less capability than other cc (Visa and Mastercard) to tell the category of the merchant. Like only 4x for US purchases for categories of the gold card. Because if international they cannot tell
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think Amex has less capability than other cc (Visa and Mastercard) to tell the category of the merchant.... if international they cannot tell
I think they can tell, but the categories may not be identical from one market to another, and the underlying numerical codes may be very different.

Recent purchases in the USA, with USA-issued American Express card, display:

Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Pharmacies
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café
Category: Restaurant - Restaurant

Similar purchases in UK, with UK-issued American Express card, display:

CATEGORY: GENERAL PURCHASES - PHARMACIES
CATEGORY: GENERAL PURCHASES - GROCERIES
CATEGORY: ENTERTAINMENT - BARS & CAFÉS
CATEGORY: ENTERTAINMENT - RESTAURANTS

However, when I made a purchase at a cafe that use IZETTLE as its payment processor it displayed:

CATEGORY: GENERAL PURCHASES - ONLINE PURCHASES
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Just read through this thread as a noob looking to get into AMEX Plat (I am currently a Citi Prestige holder but will likely discard it post the recent changes announced).
So if I understood correctly, one can still get loyalty program (eg. Marriott or Hyatt) points/credits and benefits from the hotel if they were to book FHR through the post-paid option. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
It's actually been reported over on TPG that (at least at one PH), Hyatt benefits were given and points were earned even on a prepaid FHR 5x stay. https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-f...lite-benefits/

If even prepaid FHR reservations are getting elite benefits and stay credits, then I'd have to think non-prepaid FHR reservations would be unaffected.
jaejaez and roundtree like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Yes. I never prepay and always got hotel points and property benefits with FHR bookings.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Can you prepay for the 5X and still get elite recognition/points at Marriott properties?

If prepaying to get the 5X on MR means losing 17.5X on Marriott points, its obviously a net loss.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Can you prepay for the 5X and still get elite recognition/points at Marriott properties?
No data points yet.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

5x points for charging to the room?

Did anybody ever figure out if charges to the room (EG if I charge my $100 steak dinner at Craftsteak to the room) counted towards the 5x points?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Skywise
Did anybody ever figure out if charges to the room (EG if I charge my $100 steak dinner at Craftsteak to the room) counted towards the 5x points?
No. you would only get 5X on the amount charged to Amex at the time of booking through Amex Travel/FHR
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

If prepaying to get the 5X on MR means losing 17.5X on Marriott points, its obviously a net loss.
Friend of a friend who is SPG Plat said he got full status recognition (including Plat happy hour) and points on a 5x FHR booking last week at W Taipei.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:46 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

Or 23.5x... with credit card spend...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Or 23.5x... with credit card spend...
Well the alternative is to not prepay with Plat, but instead pay with your SPG Amex, for 23.5x.

IMO the 5x for prepay is most valuable when you're going outside the loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.