Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5x points and FHR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CSR
I just did a test search and found that both Mandarin Oriental Tokyo and The Peninsula Tokyo are showing 5X points on FHR portal with travel dates 5/20/19 - 5/24/19
mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
This is fantastic news. Amex is killing it lately with Plat improvements, Blue Business and great new Gold card.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was just offered 5x on an FHR booking (Four Seasons Singapore). Given a choice between pay now, with 5x, or pay at hotel, without. The "pay now" option still allows cancellation per hotel cancel policy.

FHR web booking has been down past couple days, I suspect they were adding this functionality.

Really a fantastic deal on top of the already excellent FHR benefits.

Thinking I probably need to rebook my existing FHR reservations
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was just offered 5x on an FHR booking (Four Seasons Singapore). Given a choice between pay now, with 5x, or pay at hotel, without. The "pay now" option still allows cancellation per hotel cancel policy.

FHR web booking has been down past couple days, I suspect they were adding this functionality.

Really a fantastic deal on top of the already excellent FHR benefits.

Thinking I probably need to rebook my existing FHR reservations
It sounds like they're integrating it with the existing "5x on prepaid hotels from Amextravel.com" (which can also be cancelled per hotel policy), but including the FHR rates and benefits. That's a win for me!
And if your existing reservations haven't gone up in price, why not rebook and cancel? (I'd do it in that order in case your cancellation affects inventory and rates).

Edit: Something to watch out for is elite benefits at hotels. When you post-pay with FHR it (usually) counts as a direct bill reservation and so you earn your bennies and hotel points. I haven't tried yet so any reports on if they're billed by the hotel or by AmexTravel "the OTA" would be useful info.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Edit: Something to watch out for is elite benefits at hotels. When you post-pay with FHR it (usually) counts as a direct bill reservation and so you earn your bennies and hotel points. I haven't tried yet so any reports on if they're billed by the hotel or by AmexTravel "the OTA" would be useful info.
I'm thinking it's still the rack rate, and will continue to count as an eligible stay. But looking forward to some data points on this.

ETA: Just booked one, and charge shows as "AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts" rather than property name, which means may not work as eligible rate.

This is a Four Seasons booking, so I really don't care.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 3, 2018 at 12:13 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

If I made a booking in June for reservation December and pre-paying in full in November, does this count as pre-paid rate?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
If I made a booking in June for reservation December and pre-paying in full in November, does this count as pre-paid rate?
I do not think we can know how if existing post-paid booking can be converted without cancelling and rebooking, because this benefit has only existed for three days. Perhaps you could contact FHR to ask, and then report back in the bonus points do (or not) actually post.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm thinking it's still the rack rate, and will continue to count as an eligible stay. But looking forward to some data points on this.

ETA: Just booked one, and charge shows as "AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts" rather than property name, which means may not work as eligible rate.

This is a Four Seasons booking, so I really don't care.
Eww, that also means that double dipping FHR and the "5000 MR when spending $250+ at MGM resorts" Amex Offer might not work either. I'd rather 5000 than 1250. There's always something. Once the dust settles maybe there will be an option to "prepay for 5x points" or "pay at hotel".
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JHake10
OMAAT is reporting that AMEX is updating FHR to offer 5x points! In order to get the 5x you'll need to pay upfront. However, you still have the cancellation flexibility unlike a traditional pre-paid rate.
This is a massive bonus for FHR users.

Ironically, it disincentivizes keeping around other AMEX cards like the SPG or Hilton just for the purposes of gaining bonus points on FHR bookings.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
While on the surface I like this change, and don't mind pre-paying, I usually book these at places where I have status, or an Amex offer, or both.... if those aren't going to work then I guess I'll have to forgo the 5x in most cases.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bworrell
While on the surface I like this change, and don't mind pre-paying, I usually book these at places where I have status, or an Amex offer, or both.... if those aren't going to work then I guess I'll have to forgo the 5x in most cases.
I typically don't do normal pre-paid rates either due to loyalty benefit issues. However, this doesn't seem to be a normal pre-paid rate. You can pre-pay this FHR rate and still cancel. It seems all benefits will get honored. For example, when booking one of these rates AMEX Travel let's you input a loyalty number. When booking a normal pre-paid rate that isn't an option (and they call out that most chains don't provide benefits to pre-paid rates).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:05 pm

I mostly use FHR at chains or properties where I don't have top tier status, so from my perspective this significantly eases the pain of not getting stay credit and bonus points with Marriott, Hilton, etc.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver | Hertz PC | SPG Gold
Offered 5x points at FS Singapore for a stay later in November. Waiting for transaction to "settle", but the merchant is listed as Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts. I prepaid in full. First FHR booking for me - excited!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by vkv2
Offered 5x points at FS Singapore for a stay later in November. Waiting for transaction to "settle", but the merchant is listed as Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts. I prepaid in full. First FHR booking for me - excited!
lol that's what I have booked for next week. It's a very reasonable rate during a week where even mediocre properties are charging $700+ SGD night. FinTech conference filling all the rooms.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US travel agents are also allowed to book US FHR for their plat/cent clients

this may be genius, they may be able to get a lot of people from chain hotels

if only the property credit increased as stay spend increased, oh well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.