Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It isn't, but it triggers a manual review of the account.

You are not doing Amex a favor by defending it on this. It is clearly an abuse by Amex.

Originally Posted by Gasolin
So there is this one thing I don't understand in this whole thread... say you spend $5000 and somehow you "refunded" an order and got an amount back for $1000. Why is that a problem for AMEX and considered an abuse? It's no different than spending $5000 and paying $1000 before closing the date, no? Why is that considered abuse by AMEX?

Maybe read more carefully again? The OP did mention "his/her balance right now is well over $5K after all the credits." Of course it is an abuse by Amex.

Last edited by mia; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I am not defending American Express. I am explaining how it works, based on my direct personal experience with this process, as well as what I have learned from reading posts in this forum.

For clarification, I believe Gasolin asked why American Express considers a return to be an abuse of their rewards system. That's not the same as asking whether American Express's reaction is abusive.

Last edited by mia; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by walkingingotham
You are not doing Amex a favor by defending it on this. It is clearly an abuse by Amex.

Maybe read more carefully again? The OP did mention "his/her balance right now is well over $5K after all the credits." Of course it is an abuse by Amex.
I realize my sentence might be confusing. I am asking why AMEX thinks that the refund of a amount is an "abuse" of the T&C.

Is there a difference between buying for $10,000 and refunding $2,000, thus having a balance of $8000, and buying for $10,000 and paying yourself $2,000?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It isn't, but it triggers a manual review of the account.
Ah thanks Mia, so it's not an abuse per se. What does this manual review assess exactly? If the refund was legitimate?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Ah thanks Mia, so it's not an abuse per se. What does this manual review assess exactly? If the refund was legitimate?
This is what AMEX told me in the email quoted below... After calling they said during the review they determined that the refund brought my total spending below $5K, which clearly tells me they only looked at one piece (i.e. the refund itself) rather than the full picture given my net balance at the time was $5.3K. Clearly the individual who reviewed my account lacked any real deductive logic and is probably the same individual that reviewed Katzsche’s case.

I suspect the main reason this process is in place as some customers would purchase stuff en masse to meet spending then return a bunch of stuff for a net result of XX,XXX points at little to zero expense. Very disappointing that in my case they failed to recognize that I am not gaming the system and despite me following up are unwilling to make things right within a reasonable time frame.

Originally Posted by “American Express”

We are writing to let you know that, after careful review of your Membership Rewards® account activity, we have removed points in your Membership Rewards® program account. Please ensure that any Additional Card Members who are authorized to redeem points from your account are notified of this change in your Membership Rewards balance.

Why we are removing these points

We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity on your

Membership Rewards program account that indicates an effort to obtain or use points in a manner that is not appropriate. It's important for you to know that the Membership Rewards program terms and conditions state that "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse or gaming in connection with earning or using points or that you may attempt to do so, we may:
  • Take away any points in your program account,
  • Temporarily suspend your ability to redeem points,
  • Temporarily suspend your ability to earn points,
  • Cancel your program account, or
  • Cancel any of your American Express Cards"
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I suspect the main reason this process is in place as some customers would purchase stuff en masse to meet spending then return a bunch of stuff for a net result of XX,XXX points at little to zero expense.
So why is that a problem for AMEX? Isn't that just a payment of $10,000 by using the card and a "payment" of $2,000, just as if you paid a part of your balance yourself?
Or is that something related to the transaction fees they may need to reimburse the merchant?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

So why is that a problem for AMEX? Isn't that just a payment of $10,000 by using the card and a "payment" of $2,000, just as if you paid a part of your balance yourself?
Or is that something related to the transaction fees they may need to reimburse the merchant?
Not if the customer refunds everything before the payment is due. AMEX credits the welcome bonus automatically once you hit a spending threshold not when you pay off the balance.

Points cost money for AMEX (pretty expensive relatively speaking) and often those who are abusing the system would redeem those points and close out the account... Basically buy $5000 worth of stuff, get the points and redeem it then refund $5000 of stuff they just bought before payment is due then close the account.

AMEX is out the cost the bonus and strains the relationship with the merchant as I believe AMEX (or any of the payment networks) does not reimburse merchant fees for refunds.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:52 pm

Once you paid off your statement in full, they got your money. If you were to then make a return and try to close your account, they could simply require you to pay for the points. In fact, even if you used up the points and made the returns before the statement closes, they could demand payment for those points if you ask to close your account.
My saga has been going on for months now. Today I got a call from someone with the amex rewards program who told me he's working with the "abuse team" to manually reinstate my bonus points since I have long hit the spending requirement. I asked if that wouldn't happen automatically at the end of the 90 day period and the answer was no. Once the "abuse team" removes points they won't be given back. This is pretty nuts.
Again, they considered it abusive that I made a $500 return on a total spend of over $7000 (vs a spending requirement of only $1000). Once you hit the spending requirement, if any subsequent return, even just for a day, even in the middle of your statement period, triggers you to temporarily go back under your spend limit, then this is considered an "abuse" and you forfeit all bonus points. This is completely and utterly insane. So make sure you have no returns whatsoever.
​​​​​​My bigger issue is that almost all the amex folks are completely clueless. You get different stories told by every person you speak to. Their fine print in the rules say, by the way, that they can remove points for any action they deem abusive. Without stating what this defines. So if I ever open an amex card again, I will make sure to never make a single return on the card in those first 3 months. And make purchases I may have to return like clothes at Macy's with another card.
golfingboy likes this.

Last edited by kutzsche; Feb 27, 2018 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:07 am

Update. After months of struggle, the "abuse team" has reverted their decision and given the 50k bonus point back. Nonetheless, their reasoning makes no sense and the entire process is insulting.
golfingboy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:43 pm

One final comment. As I understand, once they take away your bonus due to perceived abuse, the only way to get it back is by launching an investigation and them manually crediting it back. Also, you need to file that complaint within the 3 month period, they told me that after that time has passed, you are out of luck. Seems arbitrary and illegal to me as they are clearly not honoring the terms of their offer.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kutzsche
After months of struggle....
  1. You applied in early December?
  2. How long did the offer allow to complete the spend for the bonus? I understand you completed it in two weeks, but I am asking how long the terms allowed.
  3. How many weeks after completing the spend did the terms state that the bonus would be awarded?

Last edited by mia; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:18 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:13 pm

Off topic but does Chase have the same system? meaning once you hit the minimum spend and return something, do they remove sign-up bonus like Amex?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by avatarx
Off topic but does Chase have the same system? meaning once you hit the minimum spend and return something, do they remove sign-up bonus like Amex?
Not yet.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

And my neverending saga continues. After being instructed to call back after March 9th (when my 92 days promotional period ends) I gave AMEX another call this morning. Now they are saying, you have to wait 90 days from the time the reversal of the welcome points posted (Jan 24th in my case) for the system to process the bonus. If nothing posts after April 24th call back.

What’s next after April 24th I wonder? 6-8 weeks to process?

Ridiculous.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
And my neverending saga continues. After being instructed to call back after March 9th (when my 92 days promotional period ends) I gave AMEX another call this morning. Now they are saying, you have to wait 90 days from the time the reversal of the welcome points posted (Jan 24th in my case) for the system to process the bonus. If nothing posts after April 24th call back.

What’s next after April 24th I wonder? 6-8 weeks to process?

Ridiculous.
I would have filed CFPB long time ago, especially in the case when the min spend was only $1K and the customer net spend reached $5K or more well within the period allowed.

The way I see it is, due to the stupid design of their system to automatically take back the bonus regardless the nature of the return, many customers who are caught by this totally out of the blue when their spend went way above to meet the requirement, many of them would not waste time and energy to deal with AMEX stupidity and just went ahead to file CFPB complaints. You read this on Reddit many times, AMEX quietly put back the bonus shortly after the CFPB filed, without a word heard from them.

Because the Abuse Team has to deal with the mountain of CFPB complaints, that take preceding and have higher priority than dealing with you those who are willing to be pushed around by AMEX, you are being pushed down the totem pole every time more work piling in from the must response with a deadline type of CFPB complaints.

File a CFPB complaint in this nature would not hurt your existing accounts. This is clearly an AMEX abusing its customers via T&Cs that even with straight interpretation, they are plain wrong but would not budge UNTIL you file an official complaint.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.