Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review

Hi all - hope someone can help me out here but I had a really odd experience... I signed up for the AMEX Platinum (after being a longtime Citi Prestige customer - reevaluated my premium card after Citi gutted many benefits that I use) in early December.

I just flew past $5,000 spending (thanks to a family ski vacation out west) in the last few days and I did not realize that the 60K bonus already posted into my account until I got an email from AMEX saying after a review of my activity they removed points... Perplexed I logged into my AMEX and checked my MR points summary. I noticed 60K MR posted and the next day 60K was removed.

I am completely lost on why they made that decision. I did have a few credits ($200 airline credit and a DL trip that I canceled which was refunded to my AMEX) so did that potentially “drop” my spending below $5K?

Either way doesn’t make sense since my balance right now is well over $5K after all the credits.

Last edited by golfingboy; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:52 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Hmn.... doesn't sound like you did any MSing, I would consider calling them up and asking why...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
Hmn.... doesn't sound like you did any MSing, I would consider calling them up and asking why...
Nope not at all, the bulk of the expenses were hotel, ski rental, eating out, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
interested in the outcome of this
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Gave AMEX a call... The rep explained it was because of a couple returns I had (around $900 total) I technically didn’t meet the minimum spend yet. Then the rep offered to get some sort of rough estimate of how much more spending I need to make to actually hit the minimum. He pretty much realized that I have blew past $5K spending even with the credits (I think I have already charged between $6-7K on the card).

Relieved that this is a minor issue at the same time I’d think whoever handled my membership review would have a little more critical thinking skills as it is pretty obvious with a $5.3k outstanding balance (minimum spend requirement is $5k).

Regardless, hopefully I won’t have any issues in the next few weeks getting the 60K bonus.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by golfingboy
have a little more critical thinking skills
You could do the same, its not rocket science to add up your statement charges minus credits and see your net payments.

Sounds like you're still within the three month time period, so that's good the time period didn't blow past you.

Not Rocket Science, its Pocket Science!
golfingboy likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC the "minimal headaches" rule for amex is to make sure that the purchase that puts you over the threshold is not returned.
No other returns matter but this one flags your account removes the bonus and sends the whole thing to some manual review queue. Since you don't have any MS that should be sorted out sooner or later but you may have to follow up and remind them...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:12 pm

I am surprised they didn't pull the old "bonus will post in 8 - 12 weeks after hitting the threshold" and make you wait for the points.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
...I did have a few credits ($200 airline credit and a DL trip that I canceled which was refunded to my AMEX) ...
If the specific transaction that crossed the $5,000 threshold was refunded (or generated a credit) the system will automatically retract the bonus without regard to other spending. The review will show that you met the threshold again, and you should receive the bonus. but that will take time.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
IIRC the "minimal headaches" rule for amex is to make sure that the purchase that puts you over the threshold is not returned.
No other returns matter but this one flags your account removes the bonus and sends the whole thing to some manual review queue. Since you don't have any MS that should be sorted out sooner or later but you may have to follow up and remind them...
Yeah, the whole review took a day so not a huge deal, but what irks me is now the posting of my bonus will probably need to be done manually with me calling AMEX to give them a gentle reminder. I do hope its automatic though.

I do understand why AMEX has this process in the first place at the same time when doing a review, even factoring in the returns they shouldn’t look at one or two transactions when making a determination but rather pause and add everything up minus the returns. The figure would have been over $5000 regardless and saved everyone further headache.

Originally Posted by mia
If the specific transaction that crossed the $5,000 threshold was refunded (or generated a credit) the system will automatically retract the bonus without regard to other spending. The review will show that you met the threshold again, and you should receive the bonus. but that will take time.
All the returns that hit my account took place in the previous billing cycle (December), I don’t have any in the current billing cycle. It was a ski rental payment and hotel payment (approx $3200 combined) a couple days ago that push me over the threshold. Those charges posted on the 22nd, my 60K bonus posted on the 23rd and the bonus was removed on the 24th.

I do hope despite this review the process will still be automated for the purposes of posting the bonus. Will give the whole thing 4-6 weeks before doing a follow up call.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
See, you should have spent the 60K MR points on the 23rd

Best of luck- and I'm sure you'll keep us posted.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Quick Update

So I gave AMEX another call on Friday - briefly explained the issue to the rep who said they will write a note and pass off to a department that would review my case and contact me.

Good enough yesterday afternoon I received a call from AMEX after some brief pleasantries the person immediately told me that I had already been credited 60K after meeting the minimum spend requirement I said, I was and the welcome bonus was revoked the next day. The agent said yeah it was redeemed by customer.. Say wha?

Told her that is not correct and explained that I received a letter from AMEX saying after review the points were removed then she said oh now I see it

Went through the same process as the call I had 2 weeks ago then she concluded I still haven’t met the minimum spend because of some refunds. Told her, I have spent more than $5k already before the bonus posted even when factoring in the refunds. She put me on hold to do some math. She confirmed after manually adding/subtracting that I already met the minimum spend a few weeks ago and said there is nothing she can do at this point and its in the hands of the Abuse team (her words not mine). Since this scenario is under their purview I have to wait until March 9th (when the promotional period ends for me) and if nothing posts then at that point they can formally follow up with the Abuse team.

AMEX customer service is really disappointing thus far and their logic makes zero sense to me. Seems like AMEX employs a rather reactionary service culture than a well thought out and proactive culture. I am not sure if the individuals I dealt with provides service for all credit card lines or if they dedicate a group for premium cardholders that knows what they are doing like Citi does.

Now I am having second thoughts about AMEX. Great well rounded benefits and I am someone that generally holds on to the cards (until they alter the benefits that I use for the worse) for a long time but a big part of that is good customer service and if I have any issue down the road is this how AMEX handle things?

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 6, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Amex is great until I have to deal with humans. Then it’s just too much quoting policy and telling me they have a process and not enough problem solving. I’m not calling into Amex just so I can listen to a human robot. The website already does that.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:51 pm

Same issue here

I am in the same boat and super frustrated. I signed up for the 50,000 points after spending 1k offer. I apparently crossed the 1k spend limit after two weeks already in mid December, but a day later there was a return which temporarily lowered my balance back to under 1k. At the time I got an obscure message that I a supposedly misused their system and points have been removed. I ignored this email at the time and thought that's some mistake as I didn't expect any points until statement closing date. After my first statement closed, I had a balance of $4000 which is 4x the threshold. I paid that in full a few days later. I got the points for the purchases another month after that but no bonus points. My second statement just closed and now my total spend, after returns is over 5k, again, no bonus. I called them 3 times, their customer service is atrocious. Every time I got some other excuse. Eventually, the supervisor said, the problem was that in my second billing cycle there was another return of about $200 and that "invalidated" my bonus again. I was like excuse me? Where in the rules does it say I am not allowed to have ANY credit. So far, I spent about $6000 and had $800 returns for a total of $5200. Against a threshold of $1000. And she said - well, you have another month left "to meet the requirements". I was like what do you mean? I met them 5 times already. I am serious, American Express is a bunch of crooks. If they don't give me the bonus as outlined in the offer, I will pursue this in small claims court. Besides, I will never give them any of my business again, they are a fraud.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by kutzsche
I am serious, American Express is a bunch of crooks. If they don't give me the bonus as outlined in the offer, I will pursue this in small claims court. Besides, I will never give them any of my business again, they are a fraud.
ooooh...kayyy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.