Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX posts first quarterly loss in 26 yrs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

AMEX posts first quarterly loss in 26 yrs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1F7329

Mainly due to tax law change, but might be interesting to see if it has effect on their operations also.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Operational results were actually better than expected:

Excluding the charge, AmEx earned $1.58 per share, beating analysts’ estimates of $1.54 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Total revenue, net of interest expense, rose to $8.84 billion from $8.02 billion last year as the company’s customers spent more in the holiday season in the United States, its core market.

That also topped analysts’ estimate of $8.72 billion.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:36 pm

Amex is out of touch with their best customers. Just had dinner with individual who holds USA and UK Black Centurion cards. He threw down a Chase bank card at dinner last week. He is pissed at Amex just like me. Both of us laughed about getting a stupid $500 gift card to a overpriced wine merchant. Way to go Amex!. Chase is going to eat you up and the scraps are going to Citibank.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Centurion
Amex is out of touch with their best customers. Just had dinner with individual who holds USA and UK Black Centurion cards. He threw down a Chase bank card at dinner last week. He is pissed at Amex just like me. Both of us laughed about getting a stupid $500 gift card to a overpriced wine merchant. Way to go Amex!. Chase is going to eat you up and the scraps are going to Citibank.
Nobody has an understanding of what you're saying. Why did AMEX give them a $500 gift, and why was it mediocre?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
.... Why did AMEX give them a $500 gift, and why was it mediocre?
Discussion here:

Report Centurion "WOW" Offers, Invites, Gifts
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Nobody has an understanding of what you're saying. Why did AMEX give them a $500 gift, and why was it mediocre?
Random Nobody here, reporting that I (and I suspect others) understand what he is saying.
g8trgr8t and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Amex will make up for it Canada. Chase (credit cards) is exiting Canada.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:19 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Amex Canada started ramping up for Chase's departure 2 years ago...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:54 am
get

Looks like bad news for Canadian. Since without competition, I doubt AMEX will do much there.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Because AMEX is no longer a credit card company, they are a membership. People will pay $2500 a year for a card that they rarely swipe. I wanted to sign up to the Platinum Card. The Sapphire Reserve has it beat.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:37 pm

According to their earnings report, the Plat has been doing very well since the overhaul last spring
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The entirety of the Canadian credit card market is like 1/10 of the US market. ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.