Wiki Posts
Search

Call center forgot to put me on hold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Call center forgot to put me on hold

So called in tonight to ask AMEX some questions on my Citi conversion to Amex. I already have an AMEX Hilton so wanted to see how it was going to work. He could not answer the most simply of question so says he is going to find out.
Next thing I hear is him bad mouthing me to a girl sitting next to him, dropping F-Bombs left and right about how I am bothering him, I am wasting his time etc. They had a good little laugh for a few minutes. Then he came back on the line and I let him know he had forgotten to put me on hold. I hear the phone drop, and "oh sh%$" to the girl next to him and then he hangs up

Never had such an unprofessional experience in my 20+ years with AMEX.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:53 pm

Here's hoping that call was monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firecracker725
Here's hoping that call was monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes.
I am not naive enough to think the folks in these call centers don't sit and complain about those calling in but you better make sure on DAY ONE of employment that you know how to use the hold button
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:18 pm

That was very unprofessional of him. Such behaviour isn't acceptable. I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AMEX DL Platinum, AMEX Platinum, SW Visa
Yeah I could also call back and ask for a supervisor. It's not vindictive, people like that shouldn't be working for good companies like AMEX (or in any call center)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:41 am

If OP calls back and tells the supervisor, this poor person would not only get fired, they would likely be blacklisted from any relevant service job.

Is the offense really worth destroying someone's life over? Yes it sucks, but move on.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If OP calls back and tells the supervisor, this poor person would not only get fired, they would likely be blacklisted from any relevant service job.

Is the offense really worth destroying someone's life over? Yes it sucks, but move on.
I'm curious about whether the agent was able to get the answer, or if the person just went on a tirade for the few minutes and did nothing to accomplish the actual request. We've all had CSRs who claim incapability due to restrictions of some sort, only for us to know the truth is contrary to what they said.

It's not uncommon for people to complain about their job or customers, but can they even accomplish their basic job requirements without screwing up? Is this the kind of behavior that can be deemed acceptable as front line customer service?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by reddragon505
...people like that shouldn't be working for good companies like AMEX (or in any call center)
It's unfortunate but people like that work for ALL companies; it occurs ALL the time. It is any different than water cooler chatter, ladies gossiping in the ladies room, banter during happy hour, etc?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii

Oh, I did call back. Not only to the original number at that call center in Dallas but also twice more to the Customer service number on AMEX card and a different one on the website.

Yes it is worth whatever happens to this person. I hope they are fired. I tried giving them every tip I could to find it as well, my call in number, the time I called, the duration of the call. Search words they could us on recordings.

I am happy if he is blacklisted
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Oh, I did call back. Not only to the original number at that call center in Dallas but also twice more to the Customer service number on AMEX card and a different one on the website.

Yes it is worth whatever happens to this person. I hope they are fired. I tried giving them every tip I could to find it as well, my call in number, the time I called, the duration of the call. Search words they could us on recordings.

I am happy if he is blacklisted
Great job, I am glad you went that route. Update the thread if AMEX follows up with you!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
It's unfortunate but people like that work for ALL companies; it occurs ALL the time. It is any different than water cooler chatter, ladies gossiping in the ladies room, banter during happy hour, etc?
Agreed; but the examples you cited is not done in front of the customer; mocking and denigrating the very source of revenue and income. I don't expect anyone going to Starbucks or any business to expect to hear how much his/her patronage is loathed or mocked in front of them.

If an employee exhibits behavior that is offensive to your customer and makes it visible to the customer, why would the company want to allow that to happen?

I am sympathetic to many things, and I have sympathy for the poor schmuck that made the mistake; but a deeper fundamental question should be asked (by the employer): if this is the kind of attitude exhibited (publicly or privately), would this be an effective/useful employee for his or her role/function?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Agreed; but the examples you cited is not done in front of the customer; mocking and denigrating the very source of revenue and income. I don't expect anyone going to Starbucks or any business to expect to hear how much his/her patronage is loathed or mocked in front of them.
Regardless if the customer hears the mocking or not, it doesn't change that "people like that" are unprofessional, displaying acceptable behavior, etc. The customer hearing the crap simply allows for discipline.

If an employee exhibits behavior that is offensive to your customer and makes it visible to the customer, why would the company want to allow that to happen?
So, it's ok if the customer doesn't hear it? The company should keep the employee employed?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
If he doesn't accept the fact he's getting PAID to suck up to customers, than find a different job. Yes I support trying to get him fired............ I am in the service industry so I've ran into this issue before with colleagues not putting customers on hold. Same thing happened and the customer called back cussing everyone out.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Regardless if the customer hears the mocking or not, it doesn't change that "people like that" are unprofessional, displaying acceptable behavior, etc. The customer hearing the crap simply allows for discipline.
So, it's ok if the customer doesn't hear it? The company should keep the employee employed?
Your original post indicated that this type of behavior exists everywhere, except you cited them in situations where the person being derided would not have knowledge of it.

I agreed but pointed out that doing it in front of or within earshot of a customer makes it a much more serious offense because the company can lose a customer if they are aware of it.

So yes, there is a difference between making fun of a customer at a water cooler amongst your own colleagues vs making fun of a customer where the customer, or another customer, is able to see/hear it.

You may have misread/skipped the last part of my post:
Is this the kind of behavior that can be deemed acceptable as front line customer service?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Your original post indicated that this type of behavior exists everywhere, except you cited them in situations where the person being derided would not have knowledge of it.

I agreed but pointed out that doing it in front of or within earshot of a customer makes it a much more serious offense because the company can lose a customer if they are aware of it.

So yes, there is a difference between making fun of a customer at a water cooler amongst your own colleagues vs making fun of a customer where the customer, or another customer, is able to see/hear it.

You may have misread/skipped the last part of my post:
I am not distinguishing the difference the behavior if the customer finds out or not; as it's rarely intended for the customer to find out. The unprofessional behavior remains in either situation. The difference between the customer hearing it or not is the consequences/disciplinary action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.