Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Organic Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Amex Organic Spend

I am so paranoid about the Amex rat pack.

I am currently working on my min spend for the Amex Plat via all organic. $5k min spend requirement.

There is a charity that I legitimently support and donate to (often). Charity has a function on its website that lets you donate with a credit card with a 3% fee.

I am willing to take the 3% hit but will this get clawed back or the rat team look into this? (I feel like this should be organic).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:58 pm

it should be fine.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

thanks
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Only Amex makes people worried about donating to Charity...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Amex is seriously overrated but hey, I'll still be happy to take the free points.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by walkingingotham
Amex is seriously overrated but hey, I'll still be happy to take the free points.
I dont know about that. I am actually excited about the MRs. Great transfer partners (i.e. Avios), Centurion lounge access, and great customer service
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jedaero

I am currently working on my min spend for the Amex Plat via all organic. $5k min spend requirement.

There is a charity that I legitimently support and donate to (often). Charity has a function on its website that lets you donate with a credit card with a 3% fee.

I am willing to take the 3% hit but will this get clawed back or the rat team look into this? (I feel like this should be organic).
Just don't assume the 3% fee counts toward the $5000 minimum spend, and you should be fine. (It may or may not count, depending on how it posts and how Amex looks at that.) The donation itself should count, but if the 3% is posted separately that's the only thing I might be concerned about. (Not about claw back or rat team, just about it not being counted as a purchase. Remember, it's not really $5000 of "spend" that you need, it's $5000 of "purchases" which at Amex per the T&Cs does not count certain things like cash-equivalent stuff, and credit card fees billed separately could be looked at as cash-equivalent stuff perhaps. So IMHO better to be safe by not counting these fees, if billed separately, in your $5000 count.)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just don't assume the 3% fee counts toward the $5000 minimum spend, and you should be fine. (It may or may not count, depending on how it posts and how Amex looks at that.) The donation itself should count, but if the 3% is posted separately that's the only thing I might be concerned about. (Not about claw back or rat team, just about it not being counted as a purchase. Remember, it's not really $5000 of "spend" that you need, it's $5000 of "purchases" which at Amex per the T&Cs does not count certain things like cash-equivalent stuff, and credit card fees billed separately could be looked at as cash-equivalent stuff perhaps. So IMHO better to be safe by not counting these fees, if billed separately, in your $5000 count.)
thanks for the tip. I assumed to count out the 3% and the AF that posted.

With th that said, what’s the best way to track the min spend the way amex (or any other bank for your cc) counts the min spend requirement.

I am on pace and almost there but want to make sure??
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:30 pm

thanks for the tip. I assumed to count out the 3% and the AF that posted.

With th that said, what’s the best way to track the min spend the way amex (or any other bank for your cc) counts the min spend requirement.

I am on pace and almost there but want to make sure??
I really like sending Amex a secure message to check on my minimum spend. Creates a paper trail and easy to track at work.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
I really like sending Amex a secure message to check on my minimum spend. Creates a paper trail and easy to track at work.
ill give that shot

do you guys also do that for your other cards min spend? (I.e. chase cards)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ill give that shot

do you guys also do that for your other cards min spend? (I.e. chase cards)
The simple way is to just give it a "buffer" (extra amount "just in case"). Especially if you're not absolutely sure you'll return something, etc. But also just in case you weren't counting quite right.

At Citi, no need to ask, at least with most personal card offers, there's an online "clock" showing how much time you have to go and how much more spend you have to do. (Though the spend part is only what posted on the last statement, not what's posting on the statement in progress.) It'd be nice if all banks did that, but I've never seen it anywhere other than Citi (and only on their personal cards, not their business cards which use a different website).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold

What is a "rat" team?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
What is a "rat" team?
Rewards Abuse. See here:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
Since when AMEX resurrect Secure Message function?

That said, the chat reps can tell you how much your progress is - in their internal system they can tell the qualified spend amount - i.e. that is how people found out certain charges no longer count towards the spend requirement. So as you are close to the finishing line, you can do a couple online chats to just make sure how much you still need to spend. Just dont wait till the last 2 weeks to find out...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Since when AMEX resurrect Secure Message function?

That said, the chat reps can tell you how much your progress is - in their internal system they can tell the qualified spend amount - i.e. that is how people found out certain charges no longer count towards the spend requirement. So as you are close to the finishing line, you can do a couple online chats to just make sure how much you still need to spend. Just dont wait till the last 2 weeks to find out...

I meant the chat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.