Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by xtremester
Hi all - is there any recent datapoints in terms of getting a business gold sign-up bonus while having an active business platinum card? thanks in advance!
coded response: when you visit your two neighbours they will each offer you a drink.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by arnel
I'm not able to refer the SPG Amex right now - you may need to wait anyway.
Looks like the referring is back up.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Yes, but it was pointed out on a another thread that the minimum spend is $3000 for the 50K bonus! I wonder if that was done on purpose, or if it's a boo boo...?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:22 am

It looks like GCR is offering a small rebate for the SPG personal card, but I can't see any rebate for the SPG business card on the GCR website.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a rebate for the SPG business card on GCR?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Is it still $25 or has it changed to a point value?

*EDIT - answered my own question. Self-referred from my Biz. 10,000 point referral bonus now it looks like which is pretty lame.
Approved instantly but I haven't held the card for a year so I'm a pretty timid churner and was waiting to see what happened with the merger and these cards...

Last edited by CanadianMike; Sep 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: *void
Amex Canada 30% conversion bonus to BA Avios Sep 25 - Nov 25, 2018

You may have received an email about this. But if you didn't get one it's not targeted. To find the details go to the Amex Membership Rewards page, Frequent Traveler Participants and click on the BA Avios transfer button. Here, you don't even need to log in:
https://catalogue.membershiprewards....rtners-ba-logo

At the bottom of the page, there is a clickable bar button called "Product Information". Click on it to expand it and you'll see the information about the 30% transfer bonus to Avios.
SPECIAL OFFER From September 25, 2018 until November 25, 2018, your transfer of 1,000 Membership Rewards® points to Avios is equal to 1,300 Avios. For example: • 1,000 Membership Rewards points = 1,000 1,300 Avios • 30,000 Membership Rewards points = 30,000 39,000 Avios • 50,000 Membership Rewards points = 50,000 65,000 Avios A minimum transfer of 1,000 Membership Rewards points is required. Transfer your Membership Rewards points to Avios – the currency of the British Airways Executive Club.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Due to all the people who cancelled their AMEX Plat after the renewal fee posted then complained to AMEX about the claw back of the $200 travel credit form the annual fee refund. Amex decided start issuing the annual travel credit based on the card's anniversary and not every calendar year.

Shame on those who called AMEX to complain and led to this negative change
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Amex decided start issuing the annual travel credit based on the card's anniversary and not every calendar year.
Well, that sucks
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

I tried to make a large payment with my new personal Platinum card, which was declined so I called them up. I was redirected to the credit department where a (somewhat unfriendly) operator from the credit department found out that I have a business gold rewards card as well. She proceeded to ask me about whether I have any documentations as a business, to which I explained that I am a sole proprietor and therefore I only have invoices and such from the freelance work I do. She insisted that I will need a business registered with the Ontario government, and that I have two choices: (i) suspend all my cards under my name, including both the business and my personal cards; and (ii) cancel the business card so that I can continue using my personal cards. I had to complete the transaction so I went with the latter. The transaction went through after I spoke to another (much more helpful) operator, but now I'm left with a cancelled business card. Is there a way that I can have it reinstated? Or will I have to put in another application? This is truly a pain because the Business Gold via Canadian Post is one of the best offers out there, and I can easily hit the minimum spend via Plastiq.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mettaworldpeace
I tried to make a large payment with my new personal Platinum card, which was declined so I called them up. I was redirected to the credit department where a (somewhat unfriendly) operator from the credit department found out that I have a business gold rewards card as well. She proceeded to ask me about whether I have any documentations as a business, to which I explained that I am a sole proprietor and therefore I only have invoices and such from the freelance work I do. She insisted that I will need a business registered with the Ontario government, and that I have two choices: (i) suspend all my cards under my name, including both the business and my personal cards; and (ii) cancel the business card so that I can continue using my personal cards. I had to complete the transaction so I went with the latter. The transaction went through after I spoke to another (much more helpful) operator, but now I'm left with a cancelled business card. Is there a way that I can have it reinstated? Or will I have to put in another application? This is truly a pain because the Business Gold via Canadian Post is one of the best offers out there, and I can easily hit the minimum spend via Plastiq.
You should have dropped the call as soon as you started getting into that territory.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Anyone know if this is available in Canada / where I can find it?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-o...term=editorial

I have an AMEX Plat and SPG Personal.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Amex Offers are targeted for specific accounts.

The USA offers are discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nc-offers.html

UK offers here: Tracking Amex promotions UK

I do not recall any discussion of a similar marketing program in Canada, but even if there were I expect Air Canada's market share is high enough that they wouldn't need to buy this type of promotion.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I really miss the old SPG Amex because it was so simple, if the merchant accepted Amex you paid with your SPG Amex and that's it... Now, you have to carry 4 or 5 different cards, use one of the for restaurant, another one for groceries, another one for gas, another one for travel, another one for SPG/MR hotels, another one for everything else... This is becoming very complicated. I switched to the Capital One Aspire 2% on everything for almost everything (good thing I still have the card because it is not offered anymore) but to get more you kinda have to get a PhD in credit card reward to be able to get the most of everyone...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Bad news - Biz Plat referral bonus is increased to 25k, BUT MSR is $7k now, plus longer be able to refer to personal Plat...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tonywush
Bad news - Biz Plat referral bonus is increased to 25k, BUT MSR is $7k now, plus longer be able to refer to personal Plat...
I guess this is good news only (increase in referral bonus), as 7K spend for referred Biz Plat has been around for a long time (see post 399).
tonywush likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.