Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
If you have an Amex card, the points are pushed to your Marriott Bonvoy account.
Marriott won't do anything if you cancel an Amex card.
You can cancel an Amex Bonvoy card without it affecting your Marriott Bonvoy account.
polyesther likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:07 am

We presently have an AMEX SPG card which we got after Chase cancelled their Marriott card program. Now that Marriott has it's own AMEX again, I am wondering if I would be able to self refer to that card to get the 50 000 welcome bonus points? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by stoddaj1
We presently have an AMEX SPG card which we got after Chase cancelled their Marriott card program. Now that Marriott has it's own AMEX again, I am wondering if I would be able to self refer to that card to get the 50 000 welcome bonus points? Thanks for your help!
If you held the Amex SPG card you're ineligible for the signup bonus for the Bonvoy card, sadly. YMMV.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
MR transfer bonus to Avios?

I recall reading that there was a bonus for Amex Canada MR to Avios this month, but now I can't find the details. Can anyone confirm having gotten that bonus?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by transportprof
I recall reading that there was a bonus for Amex Canada MR to Avios this month, but now I can't find the details. Can anyone confirm having gotten that bonus?
Rewards Canada: Amex Membership Rewards: 30% Bonus Avios when transferring to British Airways Executive Club
transportprof likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Any datapoints on receiving bonvoy night certificate on spouses account? I.e. all of our bonvoy cards are linked to my bonvoy account. After 1 year and renewal, will I get 4 night certs for 2 personal and 2 business cards?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cennis
.... all of our bonvoy cards are linked to my bonvoy account.....
Do you mean that your spouse is an Authorized User on your American Express card accounts -or- do you mean that your spouse opened separate American Express Bonvoy accounts, and used your Bonvoy account number?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean that your spouse is an Authorized User on your American Express card accounts -or- do you mean that your spouse opened separate American Express Bonvoy accounts, and used your Bonvoy account number?
The latter, no supplementary cards involved here, 4 primary cards (i.e. two pers, two biz)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by jerryhung
should be no problem
but AFAIK, AMEX Aerogold * series is never a good card to own nor churn :P vs. Platinum/Biz Platinum

Ok I will bite. Why?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's almost too new to report back anything

I have Personal, applied Biz via GCR ($60 cashback), got the card, put $1500 on it, waiting for WB to show up

I then referred my friend, have to wait for statement to see Referral bonus

I'll report back after the statement

I’m debating which card to keep — personal or business, currently have both. I like business for 3x dining and gas.

Do we know which one is easier to churn?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I’m debating which card to keep — personal or business, currently have both. I like business for 3x dining and gas.

Do we know which one is easier to churn?
I still keep all of them, for annual free nights (worth it at $120 or $150)

IMO, I think Biz is easier to churn, but I'd gamble churning Personal as well, if there's enough time gap or try P1/P2 alternating
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:17 am
alc

I haven't been following on FT or RFD for AMEX stuff for a long time, but with an upcoming big purchase, thinking to get the Platinum Card again (own it before, last a few years ago)

I was debating between the street offer vs. a referral, then I found the following RFD post while doing some Googling:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amer...tinum-2317973/

I am not 100% sure if the AMEX link is a referral link or if some kind of referral offer, hence I didn't want to copy and paste those info here (and get in trouble ) but here is a summary from the AMEX link:
  • 60K with $3 spend in three months
  • The same $699 annual fee BUT it state you will get 1 free Supplementary Plat card (and footnotes does seems to indicate it is a forever deal)
  • If you spend 60K annually, you get a 5K MR bonus

Will most likely applying this as referral offer need $5K spend for the same 60K bonus while without the other inventive.

I didn't see it mentioning in this thread. A quick search on FT and didn't find a dedicated thread for this offer. If it is already mentioned somewhere on FT, please let me know and I will alert the mod to delete or merge it. Thanks.

Last edited by alc; Oct 26, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by alc
I haven't been following on FT or RFD for AMEX stuff for a long time, but with an upcoming big purchase, thinking to get the Platinum Card again (own it before, last a few years ago)

I was debating between the street offer vs. a referral, then I found the following RFD post while doing some Googling:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amer...tinum-2317973/

I am not 100% sure if the AMEX link is a referral link or if some kind of referral offer, hence I didn't want to copy and paste those info here (and get in trouble ) but here is a summary from the AMEX link:
  • 60K with $3 spend in three months
  • The same $699 annual fee BUT it state you will get 1 free Supplementary Plat card (and footnotes does seems to indicate it is a forever deal)
  • If you spend 60K annually, you get a 5K MR bonus

Will most likely applying this as referral offer need $5K spend for the same 60K bonus while without the other inventive.

I didn't see it mentioning in this thread. A quick search on FT and didn't find a dedicated thread for this offer. If it is already mentioned somewhere on FT, please let me know and I will alert the mod to delete or merge it. Thanks.
I believe you're referring to the TravelZoo offer. If it hasn't expired yet (some say the link doesn't work anymore?), and you can get the RSVP code to work then go for it. I mean, if you think the $700 annual fee is worth it (or minus $200 travel credit it comes out to $500).

I'm not sure, but I think the free supplementary card will be in perpetuity, as long as you remain an active primary cardholder, and so the free Priority Pass benefits will be doubled, for you and your partner, so that's a good deal for a couple/team who travel a lot, and separately, but don't have status. Guide your decision also on possibility that you may or may not get the offer if the deal is expired, but you can manage to fiddle the signup to continue anyways. Probably a good chance it will come through though if you get approved...just a gut feeling on my part.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Anyone have successful data points with referring the AMEX Business Gold from AMEX Business Platinum and getting the 25K referral bonus?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Originally Posted by kevin825
Anyone have successful data points with referring the AMEX Business Gold from AMEX Business Platinum and getting the 25K referral bonus?
I just self referred myself 1 month back, got 25k within a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.