Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Good luck getting a Marriott rep selling you a 5 night package...

Also, yeah, always go for the 120K package, or 132K United miles

I snagged a 5 night package about 2 weeks back on my first try! I felt like I should have been buying 2 or 3 of them!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Good job! And yes, probably should have!

which airline did you transfer the points to, out of curiosity?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Good job! And yes, probably should have!

which airline did you transfer the points to, out of curiosity?

Called back last night after buying into some of the panic that yesterday was the end of the packages and was able to grab another 5 night. Both times to AA - I have a couple of specific redemptions in mind on AA.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
AA Mile are so tough to get for Canadians, so good call

you actually can still get travel packages till the 17th, so there’s that

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Is the 5K bonus for adding a supplementary card gone for the personal gold card?
I can't seem to find any wording on the landing page of the personal gold card about the additional 5K bonus points for adding a supplementary card.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by tylerc
Where did you get the notification? In your email?

I didn't get a notification, and called 2 - 3 weeks ago to confirm the transfer ration, and they told me more than once that it would not be changing after the merger. Logged in to day and saw that it was blocked...definitely not impressed, especially with today being the last day for USA to transfer MR to SPG.
Not by email, it was on the MR web site...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone have recent experience with asking Amex to merge two MR accounts? My primary account is linked to my Personnal Gold card and I have another one linked to my Business Gold. I would like both cards to accumulate to the account associated with my Personnal Gold card. Is it as simple as giving Amex a call or is there more to it?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
The annual fee for my Business Gold is coming up and I am currently working out of the country. It looks like there is no long any FYF cards to keep my MR account alive. I was tempted to get the Cobalt, but it sounds like it has a different type of MR Select and won't do the job either.

So my options are: a) get the Personal Gold again (maybe no bonus), or b) go big with a Personal or Business Plat with self-referral to maximize my gains.

Given all the uncertainty in Aeroplan and lack of good transfer alternatives, I am wondering if I should just give up!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
Called back last night after buying into some of the panic that yesterday was the end of the packages and was able to grab another 5 night. Both times to AA - I have a couple of specific redemptions in mind on AA.
Did you use the N American or UK number?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by fluffydot
The annual fee for my Business Gold is coming up and I am currently working out of the country. It looks like there is no long any FYF cards to keep my MR account alive. I was tempted to get the Cobalt, but it sounds like it has a different type of MR Select and won't do the job either.

So my options are: a) get the Personal Gold again (maybe no bonus), or b) go big with a Personal or Business Plat with self-referral to maximize my gains.!
If you self-refer to the biz platinum, you would get a 60K sign-up bonus plus a 10K referral from the biz gold). You could use these points to pay your annual fee for one year. I'm not sure what the rate is but for biz platinum purchases 1000 pts = $10 statement credit. I think it's the same rate if you use it to cover your annual fee (but I'm not 100% sure). If so, you could use 50K points to cover the $500 annual fee and have 20K left over. If the rate isn't the same, you could just pay the annual fee and use the 50K points to cover other purchases for the same net effect.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:20 am

Sadly I believe the Biz Gold referral bonus was cut to 5000 (from 10K) this last 2 weeks - AMEX gutting all perks @@
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
1. Has anyone been successful in getting either the Business gold and Business plat welcome bonus through Canada post link?
2. Has anyone been successful getting both the Business gold and Business plat welcome bonuses through Canada post link?

I know the clause about no welcome bonus if having another small business product is not enforced usually, but would signing up both via Canada post be differently treated?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Does anyone know/has anyone heard if the Personal Plat's Marriott/SPG benefit will be "new Gold" or "old Gold"/Platinum? Or nothing at all?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Sadly I believe the Biz Gold referral bonus was cut to 5000 (from 10K) this last 2 weeks - AMEX gutting all perks @@
Dang! Isn't it possible, though, that all of this will change on August 21st when apps open up again?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jasdou
Does anyone have recent experience with asking Amex to merge two MR accounts? My primary account is linked to my Personnal Gold card and I have another one linked to my Business Gold. I would like both cards to accumulate to the account associated with my Personnal Gold card. Is it as simple as giving Amex a call or is there more to it?
As a follow up, I ended up calling Amex CS and asked about this. No problem at all, the call took about 45 seconds and the accounts were merged within 24 hours. Easy, no questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.