Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by speculatus
...you should be *the perfect* candidate for Cent. 1MM monthly spend,...
Is there any poster in this thread claiming to spend $1 Million per month?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: MS Plat
s/montly/early/
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Yes. Mostly business (not like AMEX makes less money on business expenses). It was enough to get the card upon request.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:22 pm

This is truly ridiculous.

From what we know, you should be *the perfect* candidate for Cent. 1MM monthly spend, decent %% on lux/travel.
People who reported here were getting an invite for by far less spend than yours and within much less timeframe.

If FICO is out of the equation... Any event(s) in the past that could make AMEX 'dislike' you? Missed/delayed payments, complains, MS, etc. - anything that might flag your account as 'troublesome'?
I think the card needs to be your daily driver - HVCM as Amex likes to call it, people they know are always going to use it for their first swipe. Thats important. Just running 10 charges of 15k a month isn't exactly someone with strong marketing/referral power to them, and the centurion is as much about a marketing tool for the brand as anything else. Amex wants vendors to know they HAVE to process Amex cards else they lose valuable customers (made apparent to the vendor by way of an elusive card and high spend patterns ).

There are data points throughout this thread history of people with varying spend patterns, some consistently high but not always 250+/yr getting the card. We know you gotta spend a lot but its not a simple set pass/fail figure.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

I have personal Plat (MorganStanley) and put 99.99% of all my spend on it (ex two-three times a year at a small shop not accepting AMX).
Over $250K annually past several years. High single digit # of txn per day, all personal. I use the card everywhere. From a $5 coffee shops to boutique shops, first class tickets and 7 category hotels weekly booking for a family ($$$$$$$$$).

I new I was a "small fish" compared to some of spenders posing here, but csesq stats/outcome really drove my chance to zero.
But I won't let my card go

PS: still wondering if there is more to the story...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:00 pm

I have personal Plat (MorganStanley) and put 99.99% of all my spend on it (ex two-three times a year at a small shop not accepting AMX).
Over $250K annually past several years. High single digit # of txn per day, all personal. I use the card everywhere. From a $5 coffee shops to boutique shops, first class tickets and 7 category hotels weekly booking for a family ($$$$$$$$$).

I new I was a "small fish" compared to some of spenders posing here, but csesq stats/outcome really drove my chance to zero.
But I won't let my card go
Have you called to have your account notated? Sounds like you're doing it right. Any evidence of people getting invites to Cent from the MS Amex? Maybe they aren't supposed to poach people from that partner card.

There usually is
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Called them twice. Second time the answer was that the account was already noted.
Re MS Plat... On the contrary, some people suggest/confirm that if the MS account is big enough (mine is not yet ), MS advisers can chime in and solicit the Cent.

BTW, FYI, $500 annual credit to MS account (if spend was >$100k) is paid directly by Morgan Stanley, not AMX, so technically, it's AMX who gets all the juice from annual fee + all swipes.

Last edited by speculatus; Jan 5, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:35 pm

Called them twice. Second time the answer was that the account was already noted.
Re MS Plat... On the contrary, some people suggest/confirm that if the MS account is big enough (mine is not yet ), MS advisers can chime in and solicit the Cent.

BTW, FYI, $450 annual credit to MS account (if spend was >$100k) is paid directly by Morgan Stanley, not AMX, so technically, it's AMX who gets all the juice from annual fee + all swipes.
I wouldn't be surprised if geographical information is considered. Big fish in a small pond sort of thing. Again, I do feel like theres enough info out there by now to show that its not a simple spend or FICO requirement.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:40 pm

I think we all know there are a few ways to get this card: (1) be a celebrity, (2) spend a lot of money (which usually means via a business, mainly because the salespeople at AMEX who can get you this card all drive business spending; there are no personal card salespeople), (3) some unknown criteria that are anyone's guess. It's not fair, to be sure, and there are certainly going to be a lot of great and qualified AMEX customers who want one but don't get it. I don't think I saw any posts on the 2017 thread about people getting it via path (3).

I have enjoyed having the card, and unlike some other card holders who have been negative about it on these forums, I think it is worth the fee (this, of course, is subjective). I have actually gotten a lot of the fee directly back through things like additional FHR credits, and extra cruise stateroom credits. The concierge is great (dedicated AMEX employee). It could certainly be better, but for me, the value is there.

But here's the important part: it's not life changing, and not worth getting very upset about not having it. Please don't, and I hope someone from AMEX monitors these boards and they can wind up accommodating the handful of posters who really want one and have been longtime card holders with excellent history.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by csesq
Had the personal for 30 years. When Platinum was Platinum - now college kids get it! My solid high numbers over more than a decade (numbers were annual spend) . Wasn’t sweating fees (pay that for all cards). Was trying to highlight that they were non chalant when killed the account that was it - they were aloof. Also as Platinum went down - others have to and now there is competition.

So whike still no invitation - they also said hadn’t issued in 2917. Also they look at spend accross cards.
Nowadays there are college kids who makes more working part time than a good part of the population. And recent college grads can be comfortably in the six figures.. something most of the population will never reach. So what's wrong if college kids gets a plat?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to say, "Who's pissed that they haven't been invited to get a Centurion card". Seems that would be more accurate given the responses above.
Fraser likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Nowadays there are college kids who makes more working part time than a good part of the population. And recent college grads can be comfortably in the six figures.. something most of the population will never reach. So what's wrong if college kids gets a plat?
The poster thinks a Platinum Amex is impressive and shows he they have arrived.

Most of the UHNW people with large AUM use cards exclusive to their PB instead anyway.
salukimike likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mileschlinger

couple other things- Mongo spend to Amex isn't even kinda close to 1m per year. Do 10x that then we can talk. Also most people who spend 1m on a personal card don't sweat a 500$ fee especially since Amex will waive it- every year! If your personal card dropped your credit that will x you off the list as well. If FICO isn't north of 815-820 forget about it.
My main cards are personal cards - and that is where the spend was. They look accross all cards. I paid more than $500 - actually $725 as had authorized users. My score didn’t drop but when you sign for stuff they look at your reported debt (different than score)
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by tibook
Have you called to have your account notated? Sounds like you're doing it right. Any evidence of people getting invites to Cent from the MS Amex? Maybe they aren't supposed to poach people from that partner card.

There usually is
Not that I am aware of or can think of. Have used the card religiously for over 30 years (my paid platinum) and charged a lot (always approved all over the world) and its Amex direct. I got other cards which i also charge a lot on too - and have authorized users on my account. My main thing was also when i called - it was a simple “OK bye” vs “are you sure?’ Or we can do this for you. It was the overall attitude that was disappointing because Amex isn’t what it used to be. For example they have a computer (AVA) answering and they have told me repeatedly that I could bypass it — for six months - and stil have it. The level of service (sadly) has gone down which is one of the reasons i wanted to upgrade — for the higher level of service (not to mention the perks)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I'm actually still wondering why you don't put all that spend you reference on a card that would give you much better value than MRs...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.