Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn't AmEx promoting restaurant spend ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by mdosu
well move to the land of the orange president then!
I like my MR points but not that much.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No, the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass card gives 6x (yes, 6) for restaurants. 12x at Hiltons, 6x at gas stations, restaurants and supermarkets (huge - covers almost every which way you can eat!), and 3x everything else.
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Sure, but that's as good or better than any other card mentioned here, and it's for things I use the most. And it answers the title question of "why isn't Amex promoting restaurants spend?"
Having just run these numbers for myself, I think that's a pretty optimistic way of looking at Hilton points. At a .5 cent/point valuation, 6x Hilton is 3 cents. CSR is 3 UR points, which are worth at least 4.5 cents (redeeming through the travel portal) and potentially quite a bit more through transfer partners. Comparing hotel programs, I've pretty consistently gotten 2-3 cents/UR point at mid-range Hyatts, which puts the CSR, CSP, and Hyatt card all ahead of the Surpass.

I've been happy with recent Hilton stays, just picked up the Surpass, and have been trying to justify using it more, but I can't make the math work.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, not in Canada I presume, but the Blue for Business signup offer earlier this year gave 10x at restaurants (up to 20k bonus MR points) for 6 months. (That just ended for me this past weekend.)

If that's not promoting restaurants, I don't know what is?

So as asked in the thread title, I totally disagree with the stated question.

Now, if thread title had specified "in Canada", then it would have all made sense.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:17 pm

Don't worry, I don't feel so bad about Canadians. I'll gladly take cheaper healthcare and retirement costs over 5x earn on a charge card any day.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Even AMEX in the US seems to have only one card that earns bonus points for dining transactions (the Preferred Gold Rewards card) and on top of that it's limited to US restaurants
The Hilton Honors cards have restaurant spending categories. See here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...hilton-honors/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ardDetails-Top

Cut the points in half to determine your dollar value and you get 2.5% and 3% back on restaurants that are redeemed at a Hilton.

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
While at it, what's with the restriction of only US restaurants, supermarkets, etc.?
Could have something to do with capped interchange fees in foreign markets. If AMEX isn't making as much money per transaction, they won't want to take a bigger cut out of their profit to give you higher rewards.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
There are occasionally some restaurant deals to be had in AmEx Offers. Not exactly the same as just straight bonus points on all restaurant spend but if you're going to go to that restaurant anyway, why not? (For example, there's currently a statement credit offer for Five Guys on my offers page.)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
There are occasionally some restaurant deals to be had in AmEx Offers. Not exactly the same as just straight bonus points on all restaurant spend but if you're going to go to that restaurant anyway, why not? (For example, there's currently a statement credit offer for Five Guys on my offers page.)
In Los Angeles, there's a recurring (independent of Amex AFAIK) indie restaurant promotion called Dine LA, and every time it happens, Amex seems to give me (based in Los Angeles) an Amex offer for $ off a $$ dine at any restaurant particpating in Dine LA during the Dine LA promotion period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.