Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to make 33k points into One Way from LHR to SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

How to make 33k points into One Way from LHR to SFO

Hi - I recently found out that I would need to cut short an open ended EU trip I am in the midst of and will need to travel from London to SFO (or OAK) on August 13th. Normal fares are quite high given the month.

I have 33k points on my Amex Premier Gold and was wondering how to leverage that for a one way ticket. I have Star Gold through United and I understand that it can be transferred to ANA or Aeroplan but one-way is an issue with former and latter needs a Canada travel. I am ok with not traveling Star Alliance (outside of lounge access there really isn't much more I would miss) but unsure which of the various other airlines might be best to make this happen. Any advice would be enormously appreciated!!!!
Old May 30, 2017, 6:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by shivus
... ANA or Aeroplan but one-way is an issue with former and latter needs a Canada travel.!
I am not aware of any requirement to fly via Canada when redeeming Aeroplan points for a flight operated by a partner airline.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much for weighing in Mia. For some reason I thought I had read that in a blog post about Aeroplan needing a Canada route but now I cannot seem to find it. I might have been quite mistaken. Would you recommend that I then try Aeroplan or would there be another airline that Amex also transfers into that might provide a better option for this one way award ticket?
Old May 30, 2017, 8:03 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Look for award seat availability first. If you can't find any on *A then no point transferring to Aeroplan.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Be sure to also checkout the LLC airlines that fly that route.

Award flights are going to be hard to find for that time and for that route, but there is always a possibility so search each program you can transfer into and their partners that show availability.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

sorry for not knowing better but what is *A? When I google it I am finding all kinds of odd links so thought to ask. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2017, 11:59 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by shivus
sorry for not knowing better but what is *A? When I google it I am finding all kinds of odd links so thought to ask. Thanks!
Star Alliance. If there are no saver award seats for your route on Aeroplan then no point transferring there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.