Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:05 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CKDGM
From the Amex terms and conditions:
"Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders."
OK, I stand corrected about that.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by stc
I have never had a problem with my $15 getting used in a month I used Uber. Knock on wood. But, then again, I don't try to game the system.
Same here. Use it every month with no issues. My rides and eats are almost always over $15. If the credit is there, it gets used up and the remainder is charged to my CC. Easy.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Statman
I normally use Uber 6-7 times a month and have the payment method set to Uber Cash. The Amex credit is always the FIRST credit listed (and first to be used) when I click on the breakdown of amounts stored in my Uber Cash account.
Just as a data point, this is how it worked for me, every month - until this month. This month, Uber started charging my CC first and left the Uber cash untouched. It was a while before I noticed it. I had to select the Uber cash manually. Deleting payment methods and re-adding them didn't help. We'll see what happens on May 1st.

I typically assume incompetence rather than malice, but with Uber, it's always hard to tell.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
Same here. Use it every month with no issues. My rides and eats are almost always over $15. If the credit is there, it gets used up and the remainder is charged to my CC. Easy.
Same. Have literally never had any problem using the credit since the program began. Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.

Regards
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by scubadu
Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.
Why? Do you think everyone is lying?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by scubadu
Same. Have literally never had any problem using the credit since the program began. Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.

Regards
Blame Uber for that chaos, not those of us who have had to deal with it.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stc
My rides are also to / from the airport and exceed the $15. Without fail, the first ride of the month the $15 gets deducted.
When did you last do this? Because Uber has recently begun blocking split payments using the AMEX credit, such that you can only use it on a fare $15 or less.

They are also overriding default payment method (most recently to Apple Pay), which is another method to prevent you from using the payment.

Finally, they have been offering discounts on all payment methods except the AMEX credit, which means you may pay up to 20% more in order to make use of the credit.

Or maybe you just haven't noticed any of this?
Originally Posted by gengar
I typically assume incompetence rather than malice, but with Uber, it's always hard to tell.
Given the variety of roadblocks UBER is imposing (see above), I have no doubt whatsoever this is deliberate.
MaxVO and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
When did you last do this? Because Uber has recently begun blocking split payments using the AMEX credit, such that you can only use it on a fare $15 or less.

They are also overriding default payment method (most recently to Apple Pay), which is another method to prevent you from using the payment.

Finally, they have been offering discounts on all payment methods except the AMEX credit, which means you may pay up to 20% more in order to make use of the credit.

Given the variety of roadblocks UBER is imposing (see above), I have no doubt whatsoever this is deliberate.
I don't doubt at all what you're saying, but do you know when this policy started? I used Uber earlier this month and it seemed like I got the $15 credit.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:30 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

I last used Uber on Thursday 4/25 which was the first time in April. It was to the Airport in Boston. It worked perfectly:

Total$28.47$15.00 of your Amex Benefit has been applied to this trip.Trip Fare$21.72Subtotal$21.72Tolls, Surcharges, and Fees $6.45Wait Time $0.30Amount ChargedUber Cash$15.00•••• 1001$13.47

Sadly, FlyerTalk messed up the formatting on that. And by perfectly, I mean other than the driver stopping at the wrong house so I had to walk to his car which probably caused the wait time and the conversation straying into some things he shouldn't have asked.
Statman and gooselee like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:27 pm

When reporting the behavior of the Uber app, perhaps we should also consider the following:
1. When the app was last updated, if it's at all possible to determine.
2. The version of the device operating system (Android x.x, iOS, etc).
It's possible that only certain editions of the app contain the malicious programming.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

I used Uber last weekend, and it flawlessly performed its disbursement hierarchy. I had been alerted to a potential problem with this issue through this thread, and monitored it.

So, I think we can conclude that while there may be some issues with the hierarchy, they are not universal.
Statman and gooselee like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Why? Do you think everyone is lying?
Yes, I think everyone in this thread is lying.

Good grief, no I don't think everyone in this thread is lying. That is a rather melodramatic response to my comment and I don't believe I implied that at all. I did say I found it perplexing. Not sure what dictionary you use, but I don't think in any is "perplexing" a synonym for "everyone is lying." Furthermore, I'm hardly the only one in this thread who has stated they haven't had problems, I literally was replying to someone else who said they haven't had problems.

Regards
Statman likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I don't doubt at all what you're saying, but do you know when this policy started?
It's been jumping around. I was unable to use my March credit because all my trips were over $15 and the app wouldn't let me apply the credit to them. I was able to use it in April on shorter trips. The discount for non-AMEX payment methods has been sporadic. The default payment overriding I just noticed last week and it was still in play last night. It's very difficult to correct, you have to back all the way out of your trip.

I would suggest that Uber is beta testing various ways of blocking use of the AMEX credit. Those who have not yet experienced one of them should consider themselves very lucky, as I've experienced each of these three. There may well be more.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I would suggest that Uber is beta testing various ways of blocking use of the AMEX credit. Those who have not yet experienced one of them should consider themselves very lucky, as I've experienced each of these three. There may well be more.
I think this is definitely true. I have 2 iPhones (one personal and one work) and am signed into the same Uber account on both, and I've noticed that the treatment of the Amex credit, as well as various other small features of the app, are often different between the two phones even at the same time.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:17 am

It's been jumping around.
I can confirm your observation, as I have experienced the same. One day in March, the app didn't let me charge more than $15 (the Amex credit, I had no other cash credit) and was forcing me to preload more cash if I wanted to use Uber Cash. The very next day, everything worked as expected. The Uber app has not been updated between those two rides. Clearly the change must then be on the backend. I also support the notion that this is a test. I also note that Kacee and myself are both in the SF Bay Area, which might have something to do with it...
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.